Press advice. - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Just about any SS press will work. They also will work well resizing rifle cartridges which requires a strong press. I'm not a huge fan of Lee dies but they build a very good SS press. Just found a Lee die bushing that was improperly cut yesterday. Took a file to it to make it work. I have a Lee Classic Cast and it's worked well for a long time. Decide which press you want and stick with the same brand for everything that runs with that press. RCBS builds very good dies. You pay a little more for those but the quality is very good and the support is fantastic. I've gone over to RCBS for dies.

For the amount of ammo you want to make a SS press is the most versatile and will cover your needs for now. If you need more capacity a progressive is in order. Those are a little more expensive to run.

My theory is save as much money as you can on your equipment and spend it on powder, bullets and primers. That will be the expensive part of reloading. 45 ACP will run you about 0.15/rd to reload. The price of components increases every year. Presses and dies, not so much.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 02-12-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas15 View Post
It is understandable to me that you would take the optimistic route on this. The cost of some of the reloading tools is a bit much at first and especially if your on a budget. I think we have all done this or something similar to it at some point in our lives.
Thanks for the understanding, and yeah, money was tighter, but the dang Pro 1000 should have taught me something! I ran that for most of the 80's after the SS. Just one mistake after another. I'm just trying to help folks out so they don't do the same. No excuses now, too much info out there on the web to blame anyone but yourself.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 PM

You mentioned that you were leaning toward the Lee Classic Turret. Good for you. I have a RockChucker (had a few birthdays, like maybe 35) and a Lee Classic Turret, only about 10 years old, and a Dillon 550B. I was content with the Lee, still use it a lot, but I have 4 great kids, and they gifted me a Dillon 550B on my 77th birthday. I use all three, the single stage generally is used for pulling bullets, yes, I have to pull a few bullets now and then. Lee gets some use loading .38's .357's and .380's. I deprime/resize/prime on the Dillon for those there calibers, makes the Dillon an expensive single stage, but it works for me. I can't see the powder drop in the tall .38 cases when I use the Dillon, so back to the Lee for that. I did upgrade my powder measure on the Lee. I now use the Lee Auto Drum measure, like it a lot! It is reasonably prices, around $35 or so, case actuated, and is dead accurate. I like it so much that I got one for the Dillon, may get another to use with different caliber conversions. You will be well served with the Lee. Later, if you want to upgrade consider Dillon.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:56 AM

I'm not defending the Lee pro due to not having loaded on other presses because I have. I've reloaded a many a 40 S&W and 9mm with a buddy on his Dillon 550B. Dillon makes a great press no doubt. When I wanted to start reloading my own from home I looked at how much I thought I would be reloading versus the cost to stay in a progressive set up. I gave the Lee a shot and it's been good for me. But keep in mind I'm not running all 3 stages at the same time. I do 1 bullet at a time from start to finish, and i'm ok with that. I can still knock out rounds pretty quick this way while monitoring the whole process. It's quicker than a SS and more forgiving than running full blown progressive. I hand feed my brass and bullet and have at it. Clearing an issue in a 5 stage Dillon get's a bit on ones nerves too. My way keeps it simple, and i'm good with that. I typically shoot 2-300 rds on a wknd when I go shoot so reloading that many during the work week is a piece of cake if I don't do it all in one night.
Just giving a little insight to my process as it might fit someones needs as it has done mine. Will I ever step up to a Dillon, who knows. Maybe if I retire and start shooting 5-600rds a wk I might. But for now it's nice to have some quiet time and reload at a pace that suits my needs.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chevelle View Post
I'm not defending the Lee pro due to not having loaded on other presses because I have. I've reloaded a many a 40 S&W and 9mm with a buddy on his Dillon 550B. Dillon makes a great press no doubt. When I wanted to start reloading my own from home I looked at how much I thought I would be reloading versus the cost to stay in a progressive set up. I gave the Lee a shot and it's been good for me. But keep in mind I'm not running all 3 stages at the same time. I do 1 bullet at a time from start to finish, and i'm ok with that. I can still knock out rounds pretty quick this way while monitoring the whole process. It's quicker than a SS and more forgiving than running full blown progressive. I hand feed my brass and bullet and have at it. Clearing an issue in a 5 stage Dillon get's a bit on ones nerves too. My way keeps it simple, and i'm good with that. I typically shoot 2-300 rds on a wknd when I go shoot so reloading that many during the work week is a piece of cake if I don't do it all in one night.
Just giving a little insight to my process as it might fit someones needs as it has done mine. Will I ever step up to a Dillon, who knows. Maybe if I retire and start shooting 5-600rds a wk I might. But for now it's nice to have some quiet time and reload at a pace that suits my needs.
This is the eventual "fix" that many folks end up doing. Not a thing wrong with how you are doing it now and believe me, I get it! The binding from the stupid bullet feeder would herky jerk the whole rythem and showers of powder leak out from the auto disc measure. The powder then gets in the primer trough and they get all bound up. Now you run a case without a primer into the powder die and you have a real mess. Sometimes it is one of the above failures, most of the time multiple. I ended up stripping down the Loadmasters as well. It does have pretty red paint though.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 AM

69Chevelle has reached his nirvana, and I agree with him. I was perfectly content to do all my reloading on the Lee turret, but the kids made my birthday a major event, and I feel obligated to keep using it. I still like and use the Lee, it served me well before Dillon, and it still does, just not as often. I did part with one of my two RockChuckers some time back, still regret that, having two really speeded up my single stage work, but not needed by me, and it serves the new user well.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:03 PM

loadmaster

I owned a loadmaster a few years back and it was not a press for the faint of heart. In the past year i have purchased 2 Lee Loadmasters and they have made significant improvements from my first and a members 1990's experience.
Just loaded 121 rounds of 9mm in 15 minutes hand feeding both the case and the bullet.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerbeach View Post
I owned a loadmaster a few years back and it was not a press for the faint of heart. In the past year i have purchased 2 Lee Loadmasters and they have made significant improvements from my first and a members 1990's experience.
Just loaded 121 rounds of 9mm in 15 minutes hand feeding both the case and the bullet.
Yes?, and I hope it has improved a bunch. To edit my previous post, it was the case feeder (not bullet) that caused the herky jerky operation with that darn slide mechanism on the rod. Eliminating that goes a long way all by itself. Have they changed the auto advance? Sometimes you had to give the upswing a fairly descent "pop" at the end to get it to fully advance. This was usually good for knocking some of the powder out of a case and make you question how many times that had happened. If it didn't go all the way, now ya got a nice bind.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:35 PM

My 2 cents (20 years reloading on RCBS and LEE single stage, turrets and progressives):
- LEE turret press is great to start with. You can use it in "one stage press" mode or whenever you feel comfortable, use manual or auto indexing. It is of sufficient quality to produce good bullets and it will last.
- Get good carbide dies. I personally never had a problem with LEE or RCBS. Make sure you get Carbide dies.
- An inexpensive caliper is a must have. Add to the list if not on it yet.
- Get a good beam scale - not an electronic one
- You can get reloading data from the manufacturer's websites, a reloading manual would be a good idea to get the concept behind it. No need to buy, borrow it from a friend...
- Get together with somebody who has some experience reloading and load your first rounds with an "expert" - makes the heart beat slightly less when firing the first self made rounds ;-)

Regarding the $150 - you may get the components to get you started, but once you realize how much fun reloading is/can be, the $150 will only be the tip of the ice berg ;-)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidedfishing View Post
Get the Lee turret press, you will quickly find the single stage press tedious reloading pistol rounds. The Classic turret is one of Lee's best presses and for the money a fair value. Especially if you are only planning on loading 40 and 45.

good luck
Agree, single stage for pistol is extremely tedious! You're right about 45 though, you can save a lot of money reloading. I also like shooting reduced power loads.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The German View Post

- Get a good beam scale - not an electronic one

I concur ... I bought a Frankfort Arsenal digital scale and noticed it would bounce between readings. I decided to add a RCBS 505 and it is dead on accurate. Digital is nice to double check the manual
Old 05-20-2017, 01:32 AM

Hello guys, I am a novice and hope I am posting my problem in the correct place. I purchased a Lee 1000 Progressive
I have not used it at all but there seems to be a problem. The shell plate does not rotate as it should be. It rotates in both directions and malaligns in relation to the dies. Please advise how to solve the problem

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyanana View Post
Hello guys, I am a novice and hope I am posting my problem in the correct place. I purchased a Lee 1000 Progressive
I have not used it at all but there seems to be a problem. The shell plate does not rotate as it should be. It rotates in both directions and malaligns in relation to the dies. Please advise how to solve the problem

Hello,

I don't really have any help to offer with regard to the press.

Though some folks will undoubtedly help you in this thread, you might strongly consider starting a thread of your own specific to your problem. Just go to the reloading section and hit "start new thread." You'll give it a title and post in it what you just did here.

This will get you the attention you need to help with your issue.

Regards,

Josh
Old 05-27-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Agreed with Joshua, above. Definitely post this as a new thread. There are several here with experience with the Lee 1000. Also, keep a thick skin as there are also a few members who have an orgasmic obsession with bashing anything made by Lee. Don't take it personally.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudanum View Post
Agreed with Joshua, above. Definitely post this as a new thread. There are several here with experience with the Lee 1000. Also, keep a thick skin as there are also a few members who have an orgasmic obsession with bashing anything made by Lee. Don't take it personally.
As one of the potential Lee Progressive bashers, I will try to behave. As far as all other Lee items (other than the scale), I have zero problem with their product and own many. There are just a couple of things these guys need to work on and their entire lineup would be fine for the beginner to get a good start with.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
As one of the potential Lee Progressive bashers, I will try to behave. As far as all other Lee items (other than the scale), I have zero problem with their product and own many. There are just a couple of things these guys need to work on and their entire lineup would be fine for the beginner to get a good start with.
Likewise I will try to behave but I make no promises.

Opinion....seriously, it comes down to the level of commitment one has to shooting in general at the time you begin to set up your handloading bench. The individual who is on a budget and shoots only once in a while but has heard that he/she can save money reloading ammo is going to naturally gravitate to entry level equipment.

But on the other hand, while I started my personal journey into handgun shooting with the idea that I would at some point get into competition, the real push to put a press on my workbench came from the fact that I needed lead/plated/coated bullets to make the board of directors at my club happy. At first I didn't know the difference between lead and plated bullets and didn't know that coated bullets even existed.

A beginner in handgun shooting might own a single auto-loader such as a XD or G19 that they might have spent less than $600.00 on. They know that they can buy 50 rounds of WWB 9mm for about $12.00 So that person may have a tough time in their mind seeing the sense in spending the money on a good progressive press which when it's all said and done will cost more than the potential handloaders gun cost.

If your unsure if handloading is for you and that is the reason why your unwilling to spend $500.00+ to start but you have a diet of 500+ rounds/month then you greatly improve the chances that you will not like to handload if your using budget and/or slow tools.

Last edited by thomas15; 05-27-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Hello,

I don't really have any help to offer with regard to the press.

Though some folks will undoubtedly help you in this thread, you might strongly consider starting a thread of your own specific to your problem. Just go to the reloading section and hit "start new thread." You'll give it a title and post in it what you just did here.

This will get you the attention you need to help with your issue.

Regards,

Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudanum View Post
As the other members have said, please start a new thread for your question.

Members: please do not respond to yahyanana's question in this thread.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-29-2017, 07:42 AM

Start with a used press for a few bucks and spend the money on a powder measure. You can pickup a Herter's model-3 on Ebay for around $75, and is just as serviceable as a new press.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 05-29-2017, 05:00 PM

I see an awful lot of reloading gear for sale very cheap on places like Craigslist. Also, lots of people at most gun clubs have lots of gear that is surplus to their needs, so posting a WTB card will probably turn up lots of stuff, cheap.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:14 AM

When I was thinking about getting into reloading, a very wise man asked me a couple of questions. He asked me if I had a number of hobbies that I liked to do. I said "Sure". He asked me if I had time to do those and I replied "Hell no. Never enough time." He then told me to forget about reloading and just buy ammo and enjoy shooting. I think he was very insightful.

I got into it anyway.

I read a LOT of advice on presses and set ups and came to this conclusion. I am too old to start this thing small. I saw many accounts of people buying any number of presses on their way up. They spent more on them than if they had just bought the one they ended up with. Couple this with the fact that I didn't want any shortcuts on things that explode next to my head, I dove into the deep end. I started and may very well end with a Dillon. This is not to say that other presses and setups aren't also good, I just thought I would pick a well respected direction and do it right. I figure buying a RL500b gives me the versatility and quality I need and will serve all my reloading needs. It can be used as a single stage or progressive just as easily. Other presses can do this too, I just decided in this direction. I actually think the cost of the press is reasonable and over time, a great value.

I also decided to get most everything I needed at the same time, and this was a financial burden at the start. I have since seen that there are times on Craigslist that guys that thought this was a good idea, have changed hobbies and are unloading their setup. If you know what you are after, this is a great way to get outfitted.

I decided from the start that reloading was a hobby by itself, and did not want to focus on any savings as a motivator. That my ammo costs maybe up to half what store bought ammo costs is just a side benefit and that is great. That I have control over it is great. Seeing every piece of brass flying to the floor at the range as a piece of money that I must pick up, has taken some of the fun of shooting away however.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.paul View Post
When I was thinking about getting into reloading, a very wise man asked me a couple of questions. He asked me if I had a number of hobbies that I liked to do. I said "Sure". He asked me if I had time to do those and I replied "Hell no. Never enough time." He then told me to forget about reloading and just buy ammo and enjoy shooting. I think he was very insightful.

I got into it anyway.

I read a LOT of advice on presses and set ups and came to this conclusion. I am too old to start this thing small. I saw many accounts of people buying any number of presses on their way up. They spent more on them than if they had just bought the one they ended up with. Couple this with the fact that I didn't want any shortcuts on things that explode next to my head, I dove into the deep end. I started and may very well end with a Dillon. This is not to say that other presses and setups aren't also good, I just thought I would pick a well respected direction and do it right. I figure buying a RL500b gives me the versatility and quality I need and will serve all my reloading needs. It can be used as a single stage or progressive just as easily. Other presses can do this too, I just decided in this direction. I actually think the cost of the press is reasonable and over time, a great value.

I also decided to get most everything I needed at the same time, and this was a financial burden at the start. I have since seen that there are times on Craigslist that guys that thought this was a good idea, have changed hobbies and are unloading their setup. If you know what you are after, this is a great way to get outfitted.

I decided from the start that reloading was a hobby by itself, and did not want to focus on any savings as a motivator. That my ammo costs maybe up to half what store bought ammo costs is just a side benefit and that is great. That I have control over it is great. Seeing every piece of brass flying to the floor at the range as a piece of money that I must pick up, has taken some of the fun of shooting away however.
You have done what I wish I could have done! I started out like many, young and on a budget. I have finally arrived at my satisfaction point, in that I can load enough to shoot regularly with nice equipment in a short period of time. Although the learning curve with lesser equipment has it's merits, there is something to say for skipping the crap and buying the good stuff if you can afford it. I don't like chasing brass either, but it does get easy if all of these other guys have not figured it out yet and leave theirs all over the place. I always come home with far more than I brought to the range. It doesn't bug me if I cant find "mine".