1911Forum banner

Galco Jackass 1911 - Trigger Guard Spacer?

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Phil McGrath 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a Galco Jackass holster for 1911's without rails. Trying to insert my Colt S70 repro is kind of tough. I always chalked it up to leather tightness, but upon looking closer, it appears that the rubber spacer is scraping/rubbing up against the gun's trigger guard and this is creating A LOT of friction. I mean, every time I try to holster my 1911, I have to really strain to get it in there. Imagine my disappointment. These holsters ain't cheap.

So, having discovered this, I wanted to bring this to the forum and ask everyone if there's a fix for this? Is this common on Galco Jackass holsters? Or is my gun the issue?

Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
So the rubber spacer is there to intentionally rub against the trigger guard? I have tried loosening it, even at its loosest the gun is still rubbing very much and it's hard to holster.
Maybe the answer is a smaller diameter rubber piece, but I do want to know if this is intentional. I have not tried contacting Galco, will do that tonight.
Any other feedback is appreciated.

#6 ·
Yes, this is intentional on Galco's part.
They want the gun very tight, so it doesn't fall out accidentally, and so the retention strap/snap stays where it is supposed to be (the gun can't drop or shift down).
I have used this holster with several 1911s, and a couple Sig P220s. On the Sig holster, I had to completely remove the rubber piece.
On the 1911 holsters, I take the rubber 'down' using a belt sander, until I like the fit (still tight, but easy to remove pistol-- removal is more important than insertion).

#8 ·
Interesting that this is intentional on Galco's part. Would consider being concerned about rubbing off the trigger guard finish. Maybe I'm being paranoid.
Thanks for your advice, and I think you made a good point about drawstroke more important than reholstering ease.

#7 · (Edited)
Remove the rubber spacer and take it to the auto parts store or a big builder's supply. Find a piece of rubber, neoprene or vinyl tubing that's either smaller dia. or thinner wall thickness. What you need is out there - you just gotta find it. Once you find the correct size put a tiny drop of blue Loc tite on the screw's threads to keep it in place. How do you like that Jackass rig? I have had one for probably 20 years and it's a great rig if you can get it adjusted properly.

#9 ·
I'll try to find something good to replace it or I'll try to sand it down somehow. I wonder how neoprene would work. Of course it wohold have less friction, but would it be functionally adequate? Thanks for the pointer on the blue loctite.

And what you said about getting it adjusted correctly is a pain point for me. I can't seem to get it adjusted just right. I still feel like the gun side sits too low, but it's tight under/behind my armpit. I currently have the straps adjusted to equal length on each shoulder, but this might not be the answer. Any tips?

#10 ·
Your spacer appears to be quite a bit larger than that on my Jackass; maybe they put the wrong one in yours?

#12 ·
Not readily.
The spacer is the same diameter as the adjusting screw on the inside. Maybe your screw isn't the same size, either? The spacer is the same size as the raised collar surrounding the screw on the outside.

#14 · (Edited)
I think it's possible that someone in the past has replaced the spacer with a thicker one by accident or maybe to tighten up the fit for a Llama or something not quite standard. Are you the original owner? I wouldn't mess with trying to sand down the spacer - just get a new piece of tubing and replace it. A piece of fuel line or vacuum line should work. But it must be a smaller outside dia.

#15 ·
I put a caliper on mine: .385" dia.
Fish-tank hose is about half that.

#18 ·
Yep, I initially thought it was leather tightness, but at this point I've been using it and the leather has definitely stretched. I can positively identify excessive rubbing on the spacer. Haven't had time to try out some things with it yet, but am planning on it soon. Could you maybe post a pic of the spacer in your holster?

#19 ·
Do you have mics to measure it?
A pic will not show the size.
None of my holsters have had that problem.
Have you tried to loosen it all the way and let it "relax" a bit. It is possible it was tightened and swollen, or, like many have stated, the size a too large.
Also, try to push your pistol to the top of the holster to see if that helps.

#20 ·
Again...
not a mistake by Galco. They are just being cautious and ensuring the holster/retention devices are on the TIGHT side, instead of too loose.

I have both the LEFT and RIGHT newer Jackass holsters. The LH holster (right side) is a little older and 'more broken in', but the RH holster is fairly new and super TIGHT... noticeably as the triggerguard drags against that rubber piece during insertion. If I wanted to, I am sure I could wear that thing all day without snapping the thumb-break, and not loose my fully loaded alloy-framed 1911.

I am simply going to put the OEM rubber spacer on a pin punch, and spin that sucker on my 1" belt sander.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.