Anybody know what happened to forum member Cappi? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-19-2020, 08:12 PM

Anybody know what happened to forum member Cappi?

Haven't seen him in a long time, then I saw hasn't posted anything in a long time. Is anybody here close to him? Anybody know anything or did he just drop off the map?
Old 06-19-2020, 09:47 PM

I don't.... when I came back from a work imposed sabbatical, he had quit posting.... I haven't received a response to PMs....
I do know that he is somewhat older than I, but have no knowledge of his health.
I miss sparring with him....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 06-19-2020, 09:49 PM

I really wish that I knew what to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Haven't seen him in a long time, then I saw hasn't posted anything in a long time. Is anybody here close to him? Anybody know anything or did he just drop off the map?
I have missed him as well. I also mentioned his absence in a thread a year or two ago. He has been gone for a while. Always a very positive poster. I have actually been concerned about him for a while. He was a self admitted recovering alcoholic. Hopefully he has not gone off the reservation. You could really see from his posts that his heart is in the right place.

God bless you Cappi! Come back to us brother if you can. Even if just to let us know that you are OK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post

God bless you Cappi! Come back to us brother if you can. Even if just to let us know that you are OK!
Right? Cappi is a good man, I miss his input around here. I hope he's okay. I guess we'll just never get to know, which really sucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2020, 09:57 PM

Hope all is well but will include him in my prayers just in case.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:40 AM

Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Hope all is well but will include him in my prayers just in case.
I do the same.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I have missed him as well. I also mentioned his absence in a thread a year or two ago. He has been gone for a while. Always a very positive poster. I have actually been concerned about him for a while. He was a self admitted recovering alcoholic. Hopefully he has not gone off the reservation. You could really see from his posts that his heart is in the right place.

+1911....Amen

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 06-24-2020, 07:11 AM

No response to PMs either.
He is one of the good guys. I hope we hear from him again.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:46 AM

I hope that he is okay, and merely just drifted away from 1911 Forum like I did. I hope that he returns because from the sound of things he is a very nice guy and someone who I would like to meet.

Stay safe, Emily
Old 06-24-2020, 09:34 AM

I always enjoyed his posts. Hoping and praying he’s OK.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:27 PM

If someone can search my P. M.'s there may be an address on one. I sent him a cylinder a few years ago.

I too pray he is well and happy!

John
Old 06-24-2020, 12:51 PM
Administrator

The forum staff cannot read your PMs. That's why they're called private messages. You could be ranting on about that dickwad mod DSK all you want and nobody else would have a clue. Unless somebody knows Cappi's actual name and location and/or can find his contact info unfortunately his whereabouts is going to remain a mystery.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:52 PM

Now that you all mentioned it, I noticed his absence too. There are several long time members who haven't posted in a while, I hope they are all just busy.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:09 PM

Another member I noticed that hasn't posted or been on the forum
in a while is US1911
Old 06-24-2020, 01:25 PM

US1911 comes and goes, normal for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78 View Post
Another member I noticed that hasn't posted or been on the forum
in a while is US1911
Probably does not have as much idle time on his hands as some of us do. I am wondering what happened to that old cranky judge's son from Georgia. Not that he is missed all that much, but wondering nonetheless.

Last edited by USMM guy; 06-24-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Unless somebody knows Cappi's actual name and location and/or can find his contact info unfortunately his whereabouts is going to remain a mystery.
He was in NE Ohio.

On another forum, his occupation is listed as the owner of Steam Genie Inc. I found a listing for Steam Genie in Diamond, Ohio, but the Yelp listing says the business is closed.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/steam-genie...eaning-diamond
Old 06-24-2020, 01:43 PM

Don't we have a "What does your screen name mean", or "How did you get your screen name" thread. I think he had some personal information in that thread, but I can't find the thread.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The forum staff cannot read your PMs. That's why they're called private messages. You could be ranting on about that dickwad mod DSK all you want and nobody else would have a clue. Unless somebody knows Cappi's actual name and location and/or can find his contact info unfortunately his whereabouts is going to remain a mystery.
Is there not a personal email that was used when new members signed up? I know I get emails from the forum for trending posts. Maybe admin could send an email?
Old 06-24-2020, 07:12 PM

Another one who has been absent for quite some time is FlyingRock. He was quite in interesting individual. Shot with and corresponded with Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Jeff Cooper, Chuck Taylor, and others of that cloth. I've been afraid to email the last address I had for him because I might find out he isn't with us anymore. He was in his early 80s and still guiding for senior hunters in Montana a few years back.

Cappi has always been a well spoken man with a great understanding of a lot of things. Hope to hear better news and he comes back.

I think with a lot of us if something happened to us, be it laid up away from the keyboard or gone silent key as the hams say our family members wouldn't know how to let us know. They probably wouldn't even know what forums we were active in or that the folks would want to know. I'm bad about that myself. My wife wouldn't have any idea.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 06-24-2020, 09:30 PM

Missing too are " zdragon52 " and the Beretta expert " Shipwreck " or something like that.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:23 PM

I have always respected brother "Snow" on the Reloading Forum as well.

A real asset here too!

Smiles,
Old 06-24-2020, 10:29 PM

These can be difficult/sad things to deal with when one is a "regular/long-timer" on a discussion website/forum.

Several years ago, a website I'd been active in for years was shut down (announced in advance) by political correctness type owners of the website. That decision severed a lot of enjoyable interactions. Everything ever recorded over 20+ years, including memorable essays, was instantaneously erased, as if it had never existed.

The last post I made on that site was along the lines of thanking all of the friends I'd made (hey, online people count too!) and commenting that for everyone else, we had just run out of time to get to know each other as friends.

We'll all hope Cappi and others long absent are o.k. and might return as active members. We must also be aware that nothing is permanent in this world.

If Cappi doesn't, or even worse isn't able to, return I'll really miss him. Whenever he didn't exactly agree with me, be usually began his thoughts by writing "Brother Chrys"... and what he wrote was always on target. +1911 Brother Cappi.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 06-24-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
Missing too are " zdragon52 " and the Beretta expert " Shipwreck " or something like that.
Shipwreck is still active on the Beretta forum and last posted there a couple of days ago. A lot of guys will simply float from forum to forum, often spurred on by a recent purchase that they want to share with like-minded people online. Then one day they just stop posting. I've been active on the Colt forum, Ruger forum, Beretta forum, GlockTalk, AR15.com, Sig Talk, High Road, Firing Line, Milsurps.com, SASS.net, and a host of others, but to be honest I usually spend 99% of my time here and haven't posted to many of the sites I mentioned in months, possibly even a year or more. Hopefully Cappi simply found something else to interest him besides 1911s and is actively posting in other forums, or better yet is spending more time with flesh n' blood friends and family.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:05 PM

I miss seeing Cappi's posts as well. Whatever he is up to these days, I certainly wish him well. Hope he is doing fine and enjoying life.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:57 AM

Like the rest of you, I always enjoyed Cappii's posts and hope he returns .
Another member I miss is DivePanama, I've always wondered what happened to him.
Pedro.
VCDL