1911Forum banner

Col. Coopers holster

9K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  J Scott 
#1 · (Edited)
Col. Cooper probably used a variety of holsters but one I know he was very fond of is the Yaqui Slide. Does anyone know if Col. Coopers was a stitched one such as the Mike Barranti or one like the El Paso Saddlery one with Chicago screws?

#4 ·
I just happen to have been at Milt Sparks a couple of hours ago; the one in their little "museum" in the lobby looks just like the one Cooper's wearing in a photo I found, stitched at the rear.

#6 ·
While there, I asked about items that are not in the catalog, and was told the 1AT is the only "legacy" holster they will still make.

#7 ·
I believe this is a pic of his holster.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes. His Yaqui Slide was stitched like the one pictured. Given that Cooper liked that holster, I tried one. I didn't like it much. It didn't conceal well and, as with any "belt slide" holster, it is easy to catch the muzzle on the arm of a chair and push the pistol up out of the holster.

IMO, the Sparks Mirage is a much, much better belt slide.

Rosco

Here's a photo of Milt and me....complete with my stupid 1980's style ballcap and Miami Vice pastel shirt. I'm wearing a Yaqui Slide. Milt has a different belt slide, that he made and cataloged for a while. Sorry for the crappy photo quality. The photo is in a framed photo collage in my office and I didn't want to take it apart to scan it, so I just snapped a photo with my phone.

#9 ·
Fnfalman, I like you, thought Sparks might make a Yaqui slide even though it is no longer on their product list, but such is not the case. In calling Sparks about another holster I asked if they would make a Yaqui and the response was no.

I had one years ago and like an earlier comment on this thread, it was not my favorite, but not the worst thing I ever put on my belt. Wish I had kept it and wanted another just for nostalgia and to use on rare occasions. Looks like I’m going to have to search hard for a used Sparks to scratch my itch.

#10 ·
Several years back the shop was willing to do certain legacy holsters upon requests but they probably figured their backlog of the current orders are too much to take on holsters that they might have to go to the attic to find patterns for.

My favorite IWB is the Heritage Limited. Since that it’s now a legacy holster, I’d best take care of the ones I got.

#12 ·
Roscoe, awesome picture. Years ago, before I knew about Milt Sparks holsters, I bought a Mitch Rosen slide holster. I have found it to be a good field holster for hunting, but not any of the others I use an OWB for. It has its place, albeit a limited one. Really enjoyed that picture, thanks for sharing it!

#15 ·
The stitched version of the Yaqui such as the one Barranti makes is pretty close to the original that Cooper wore. I can’t tell from Barranti’s website picture if the welt is built up as was the original made by Eduardo Chahin and Milt Sparks, but it looks like a good representation!

The original Yaqui Slide had a very thick rear welt (as depicted by the picture in Kevins post) built up from several layers of heavy leather to be equal to, or slightly thicker than the width of the trigger guard on a 1911.

The outer pouch was generally made of 10 - 12 oz and the back piece of 7 to 8 oz. Very heavy duty!

Most of the YINO’s out there (Yaqui in name only) are made up of thinner leather with screws and washers in place of the sewn in welt. I don’t recall Jeff ever endorsing that particular version of the Yaqui Slide even though I believe it was Cooper that originally coined the name. One thing Milt made me promise after he and I became business partners, was to make sure that Jeff always had a Milt Sparks Yaqui Slide even though we no longer offered it as a catalog item. I did.

Anyway, If I were personally in the market for an original looking, current production, Yaqui type holster, I'd go with the Barranti.

#16 ·
Thanks for the background Tony. Here is Sparks Yaqui that I bought at the Gunsite Pro shop in the early 90’s while taking a class. At that time your could buy Milt Sparks leather over the counter at the shop. Also I recall if you came to take a class and borrowed/rented a pistol, some were given a Yaqui to use for the week.

Attachments

#21 ·
I had one for a Browning Hi-Power. A friend at work who liked the Hi-Power more than me offered very good money for it so I sold it to him meaning to replace it even with what seemed like a long wait time to me. Barranti doesn't offer it for the Hi-Power, but it will be good to get one for a 1911.

#23 ·
You are aware that BHPs will work just fine in most all 1911 holsters, but not the other way around? Can't speak for the Yaqui Slide, though, as there is not much leather there to begin with and I don't own one.

#27 ·
I love the slides! The one thing I’ve always thought would be icing on the cake was a set of snaps for easy on and off. I contacted Baranti about it and was told to “stay tuned”. I’m really hoping they offer a variation of this holster with one way snaps! There’s certain situations where I am required to leave my firearm behind and unsnapping would save me a lot of trouble.

#36 ·
Tom Selleck wears one in his Jesse Stone series. It holds his Gunsite GSP2000.

#38 ·
I love the history of the design and I find it to be an excellent range holster. As mentioned before though, as an EDC/CC rig, I find that the gun can easily be pushed out from below when sitting down and a fairly vertical front sight is easy to catch on the holster lip when drawing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.