1911Forum banner

Holsters under $50.00

5K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  AZ Husker 
#1 ·
Check out my review on holsters I have used and all are under $50.00. You really do not need to spend a lot of money for a quality holster. All of these holsters are of the highest quality and work real well.

Check out the review here.

https://youtu.be/TFS_Rr6h58s

Thanks let me know what you think

#3 · (Edited)
Ok what makes the holsters I have any less quality than a milt sparks, how do you know this. Leather is Leather and Kydex is Kydex so both holsters are made of the same material the difference is one has a different name and cost 4x as much.

I did not say that Milt Sparks was not a quality holster, I am just pointing out that there are holsters that are of the same quality and do not cost you 150 or 200 dollars.

I have a Milt Sparks I have had for a number of years and I have a holster that is very similar Milt Sparks both in Quality and Build and cost about a third of what a Milt Sparks cost.

If you feel the Milt Sparks is that much better quality than say another holster that is similar and you are ok with paying upwards of $200 for the holster and wait 6 months, then by all means do so.

Personally I will order a 50 dollar holster have it shipped to my house in few days with no wait and spend the 150 dollars I save and buy ammo for practice. $150 dollars buys a whole lot of ammo...

#14 · (Edited)
I see your point and I did go and get my Milt Sparks which I have had for a number of years and you are correct the gusset does seem to be a bit harder to compress, but not by much. I tried both holster inside my pants and the milt sparks does seem stay open a little wider than the master holster model, but both stay open enough to re-holster the gun. I will consent that the Milt Sparks Gusset is a little better, maybe I will do a video comparing the Milt sparks to the Master Holster model and post it on my youtube channel.

I can say that the snaps on the Master holster are much more firm than the Milt Sparks that is partially why I no longer use the Milt Sparks because the belt loops snaps are not as secure and tend to pop off for no reason, this may because the Milt Sparks is more than 10 years old and the Master Holster is about a year old.

I did buy the Milt Sparks holster used and maybe if I would of bought a new model, I would still be wearing it.

#13 ·
Holsters MUST:
1 - Cover the trigger guard "tightly" - so that nothing can get in there
2 - Stay open when presenting - so you can safely and efficiently re-holster as needed
3 - Have a moderate amount of retention for civilians - so they don't fall out during normal or life-threatening situations (with a cleared gun, tip the holster over and the gun should stay in it)

After this criteria is met the quality you want to invest in is personal. I have seen Fobus and Alien Gear "crack" under moderate range/training use. I have seen mediocre leather that tears, stretches, and generally deteriorates within months of consistent use. You get what you pay for...

#17 · (Edited)
Looks like I have kicked a bee hive here, for this I am sorry it was not my intention. I was simply pointing out that there are several brand of holsters that you can buy that work quite well and will not set you back a car payment to own one.

I will concede that the High Quality holster makers like Milt Sparks have more time and labor in them and may have better quality leather or kydex as well. This post was not meant as a slight to Milt Sparks in fact I have owned a Milt Sparks summer special for several years and carried it daily until the snaps began to fail on me. Also I am not blaming the Milt Sparks holster for the failure, as I said for a used holster it served me well for the better part of two years.

I actually priced a new Milt Sparks holster and found at this point in time the money for such a holster does not work me right now.

I just don't think for me anyway that it justifies the added cost to own one when I can have a good quality holster of similar style for about 1/3 the cost.

If any of the board want and have the means to buy and own a 200 or 300 dollar holster then by all means please do, and I am jealous.

My video was only to point out another option for a more economical holster that the masses including myself can afford better.

Thank you everyone for your inputs Please keep them coming.

#21 ·
I guess it depends on your definition of "quality".

Those were definitely all <$50 holsters. But I did not see anything in the video that meets my definition of quality. I saw some ok leather (2-holsters) that might last a couple years of regular use. As for the Kydex stuff, plastic is plastic and should never be used in the same sentence w/ "quality"--especially not when talking 1911s.

#23 ·
I have custom hand made gunbelts and western holsters made by a little two-man shop that are beautiful. Maybe I just don't know any better but they are great for me and cost less than $150. Those $200 holsters for carry weapons are just to good for someone like me. I will have to settle for the lesser custom made type. Somehow I will manage.

#24 ·
I don't know of any Milt Sparks holsters, unless it's a custom order, that cost anywhere near $200. You'll find out that the secret to comfortable carry is a top quality holster and belt. Any old bag can hold a gun if that's all you want. Most folks complaint about Sparks is the wait time. That means only one thing...it is a top quality product worth waiting for.

#25 ·
I think the independent holster makers charge well below the true value of their products, especially when factoring in the handmade character and quality that goes into them. Their careers are limited and if they don’t pass on their craft, then their talents are lost forever. My goal is to support them whenever I can.

That said, not everyone has the knowledge to differentiate between the vast sea of holster products, nor do they have a genuine commitment to safely carry, not to mention the financial means to buy expensive holsters.

This combination of attributes, lends itself to the economy holster market, which in a way, can be a good thing. I’d rather some folks use one of the holsters in he OP’s review, as opposed to a super flimsy neoprene holster. In that regard, one of the reviewed $27-$47 holsters, could be money well spent compared to spending $15-$25 on holster that’s only a holster in name.

If you’re not going to carry your pistol, then even the super cheap neoprene holsters can be ideal for vehicle transport or purse carry. While the OP’s review didn’t quite go over as intended, it may benefit some folks who may elect to ditch their neoprene and snag something better.

#27 ·
Educate yourself a bit about the properties of high-quality vegetable tanned leather, and it's impact on durability and lifespan of a holster. Then research the underlying methods of holster construction like thread quality, TPI, and colorfastness and waterproofness of finishes.

Then get into the values of a well-boned (molded) holster, and how much better it is at protecting the finish of a firearm compared to a 'close enough' mass-produced holster.

This is before we get to the aesthetic quality and pride of ownership involved in a carefully boned holster, extremely well finished edges (sort of a litmus test for a maker, IMHO) and masterful design to simultaneously protect the trigger, hold the weapon securely and allow it to draw quickly and easily.

I'm not suggesting that is no place for inexpensive holsters, just that sometimes it takes a discerning eye to differentiate between 'functional' and 'exceptional.'

Larry

#39 ·
The reality is that there is a market out there that don't give a rip about those things you point out. I make what I believe is a very good solid pancake for $60, and I've had guys tell me "why pay that much when I can get what I need for half that?". Those guys have no interest in my educational speel. And I've also had them tell me," if you're only charging $60 you must not think much of your product". Fortunately for me, I'm pretty busy making gear for that middle of the road market. My point is, there's a market for those under $50 holsters, a big one.....and that's the way is should be.

#28 ·
Every $50 holster and less has been wasted money for me.

After trying a better fitting Sparks, Andrews, Palmetto, Garrett or Tucker....I had no further use for the prior models.

Some of the cheaper stuff was dangerous junk, too....as in the case of the Fobus trash. Luckily I learned and nobody was injured when the holster failed.

There is a lot of wisdom to be gained from picking the brain of guys in law enforcement who carry day after day...year after year. They won’t waste their money on junk...they tend to go with proven quality.

#29 ·
After looking at the products turned out by a few of the mentioned manufacturers. If I ever need any other holsters. I sure hope that I am able to find the contact info to the guy that made the western rig that I bought.

#38 ·
Todd, I appreciate the review. I think we can all agree that the Second Amendment is for all Americans, regardless of their income levels. While I like quality, sometimes we just have to make do, and there is a wide range of available quality out there in the budget minded options. I appreciate those willing to comb through the less expensive offerings to sift out some stand-out pieces.

Is it wise to buy a Nighthawk rather than the Kimber I own? Some would say so. I suspect the same crowd would tell me I need to spend over $4000 on airfare, ammo, lodging, and tuition to take a big name training course, or there is no way I can hope to responsibly defend myself. They would say to hell with my 4-year old who needs new clothes or my poor wife who I haven't been able to take on a decent vacation in years, I should really prioritize showering myself with money, and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

I'm sure a milt sparks holster is great; I can't wait to be able to afford one. The same goes for the magical gun belts that make make all-steel 1911s weightless. I've been using a Clinger stingray (bought on sale for $20) and a Crossbreed nylon belt (bought on sale for $10) for over 3 years now. Finding what works for a value is always helpful to me.

#41 ·
There is a market for $10 Nylon sag bags. Just because there one is does that mean they are worth it or simply a sucker's bet? I can guarantee you that with leather you get what you pay for! Otherwise there woudn't be a six month wait for quality holsters when you can buy a factory line assembly for Galcos to be available on the shelf (at almost the same price).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.