1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IWB holster...cant decide.

6K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  Bijan 
#1 ·
So i am seeking a solution to my IWB problems. I have a 5" govt that I love to carry. It is slim and carries great. I have been using a crossbreed supertuck. I am no stranger to the crossbreed, I have been using one for 10 years with my other edc(4.5 xdm). But it seems that with eh 1911 it rides diff.

I find myself wanting a holster that will retain the pistol when not on me, I also find the crossbreed to digging into the bend on my hip, and the wide flaps to be catching skin(butt) weird...:biglaugh: and lastly a bit more flexibility of movement /adjustment for sitting, etc.

So my desires are easy on, less belt real-estate, less body to the holster, a bit more flex. ALSO i want a rough out hoster...

I have my eye on the following holsters-

milt sparks summer special 2
(thunder ranch if i get one)--seems like it would add more bulk right at the gun with the straps and snaps)

andrew s leatherMc Daniel II
( I really like the offset loop seems like less bulk right at the gun, like my supertuck)

Rgrizzle ...i like many of his--
his can all be ordered rough out.

Rough N Ready (less bulk, spring clip, easy on, offset loop)

SDR (sort of a 1/2 crossbreed/ summer special)

SMR 2 (adjustable cant, summer special type)

SSR

or perhaps a barranti summer classic as he is a fellow PA guy

The only outlier here is is a garret silent thunder....Cheap, thin, easy on

I know this might seem all over the place but I only have experience with the supertuck....and perhaps this isnt much to gain, but asking the collective for opinions...:rock:

See less See more
#2 ·
Your first option, the Milt Sparks SS2, will likely solve all of your issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I love the idea of the MacDaniel II design, and I'm sure it's a solid, well-made holster, but in pictures it looks like the holster leaves most of the trigger guard exposed. Clearly others are comfortable with that, but I'm not. I want the leather covering the trigger. Call it a pet peeve, I guess.

For an IWB you can't beat Milt Sparks, regardless of which model you choose.

#16 ·
So my desires are easy on, less belt real-estate, less body to the holster, a bit more flex. ALSO i want a rough out hoster...

milt sparks summer special 2
(thunder ranch if i get one)--seems like it would add more bulk right at the gun with the straps and snaps)
Jason Burton has a take on the bulk issue, in this old thread on the 5 Shot IBS

Here's the thread on our forum https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=265817

Here's the same information with pictures http://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8187

#17 ·
There are plenty of quality holster makers, many are identified in the replies above. I happen to be a Milt Sparks fan. Your choice of a SS2 (I own several) is a good one. However, if you do not want the loops directly over the pistol to minimize the "bulk", you may want to consider the Versa Max 2 or Criterion models (I own both of these also). However, my VM2 has the most belt time carrying my EDC full size 1911.

Attachments

#23 ·
Sparks makes good stuff, no doubt about it. I have a few VMIIs, and they're comfortable and concele well.

My concern with the SS would be its stability with a 40+ ounce, 5" gun... the VMII and Criterion have attachment points on "wings", separated by space. The SS hase essentially a single, center mounted point of attachment. While I don't have a SS, I have a similar style holster from another manufacturer. With a full size steel gun, it tends to shift about. I think it would work well with a lightweight, 3" 1911 or similar size gun...

#24 · (Edited)
Milt Sparks Criterion with snaps, not magnets.

1) 25 degree forward cant to mitigate printing
2) Split loops for comfort and thinner profile. Prevents rearward tilt unlike the loops on the Summer Special.
3) Steel reinforced mouth to prevent collapse. Doubles as tensioner.
4) Very comfortable overall

This is my choice for 1911 Gov’t and Commanders. I have a Heritage for my Government and it tilts back because the loops do not prevent it. Pressure on the holster’s muzzle area makes this worse for me due to the slide’s length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.