Spring is definitely here! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-02-2020, 09:18 PM

Spring is definitely here!

Seventy two degrees and sunny, the only place to be today was at the range.
I was able to test some experimental loads today.

I found a great varmint load for the M-24 clone. 36 grains of Varget behind an 85 grain Barnes TSX. And finally was able to find something that the Winchester (Miroku) model 53 liked. A 100 grain Hornady TSX on top of twelve grains of IMR 4198. I just had to try some 60 grain Nosler B-tips on top of IMR 4895 out of the Heavy barreled AR. No surprises there. A great day all in all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0109.jpg  
Old 05-07-2020, 03:01 AM

Yup, Spring is . . . here? No, it went past a month ago.
Only 106 today.

I'd be overjoyed with your temps.
. . . . it doesn't matter what the answer is.
~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:12 AM

Spring is definitely here.

Went outside a few days ago and white truck was yellow with pollen.

And wasps are once again building nests inside the truck doors.

On the plus side, ranges here are open again.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Spring is definitely here!

I wish. Snow tonite, and seeing as how guvner Wolf-in-sheeple's-clothing saw his shadow, 6 more weeks of house arrest around here.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:37 PM

Yup, spring is here. By the time I get the mower washed off and put back in the garage, I need to cut the grass again.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:36 PM

Been there and done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
Yup, spring is here. By the time I get the mower washed off and put back in the garage, I need to cut the grass again.
You have to pay the piper to be sure.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
Spring is definitely here.

Went outside a few days ago and white truck was yellow with pollen.

And wasps are once again building nests inside the truck doors.

On the plus side, ranges here are open again.

-
Well, if you want to do some wasp hunting come up here to the PNW. Apparently we've got those massive "murder hornets" (apparently yet another Asian import) that can grow as large as a small bird and have a sting that feels like a gunshot. I might have to hit Gunbroker and get myself a Street Sweeper or SPAS-12 for the next time I venture outside.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:32 PM

Well done on dialing in on those loads.

Nice hardware and yes, today was a gorgeous weather day.

I had a great drive to/from the range today, too. No pollen. Nice temps. Sunny clear skies. Great day.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:54 AM

3 inches of snow for Us tonight!
Old 05-08-2020, 03:32 PM

I'm a little jealous the range is open in your neck of the state! I need to pay a visit to the outdoor range here, but they're closed til further notice thanks to the Cummunist Cough.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr380acp View Post
3 inches of snow for Us tonight!
Just goes to show what a big country we have. It's gorgeous here in the NW, hot as Hades in the SW, blowing tornadoes and crap in the midwest, and guys in the NE are freezing their butts off. A little something for everybody!
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Just goes to show what a big country we have. It's gorgeous here in the NW, hot as Hades in the SW, blowing tornadoes and crap in the midwest, and guys in the NE are freezing their butts off. A little something for everybody!

Flurried for a while here tonight. Like Bing Crosby said - I'm dreaming... of a white, Mother's Day...

Last edited by The War Wagon; 05-08-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Cos I 'r' not sech a gud speler! :-p
Old 05-08-2020, 10:50 PM

I have my own 150 yard range on my land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levian View Post
I'm a little jealous the range is open in your neck of the state! I need to pay a visit to the outdoor range here, but they're closed til further notice thanks to the Cummunist Cough.
It is always open to me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0094.jpg  
Old 05-09-2020, 07:45 AM

Yeah, gorgeous weather

28 degrees this morning. Has to get better? Tough when they reference the wind chill as a major factor in the forecast for the second week of May!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5963.jpeg  
Old 05-09-2020, 08:31 AM

Was 25 degrees here this morning. The lockdown has me going stir crazy and reading range reports has me thinking I’ll have to break free sometime very soon and get to the range.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-09-2020, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

I managed to get to the range last Sunday for about an hour. Only put about 12 mags through the Hackathorn Special Commander doing some specific drills. Some went well, others told me what skills have gotten a bit rusty in the last 7 weeks. Will try to go again this weekend. Next Friday (15th) is my last day at work before retiring, so after next Friday I will be able to go on weekdays when I have pretty much the whole range to myself. Definitely looking forward to that!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
I managed to get to the range last Sunday for about an hour. Only put about 12 mags through the Hackathorn Special Commander doing some specific drills. Some went well, others told me what skills have gotten a bit rusty in the last 7 weeks. Will try to go again this weekend. Next Friday (15th) is my last day at work before retiring, so after next Friday I will be able to go on weekdays when I have pretty much the whole range to myself. Definitely looking forward to that!
Your gonna love weekdays at the range. I don’t think I’ve gone to the range on a weekend since I retired, except for going with my daughter on Sunday evening after everyone else has gone home to prepare for Monday.

I remember a retired Circuit Court Judge telling me just before I retired that the best time of the week was Sunday at 4:00 pm as you no longer started thinking/worrying about your work week ahead.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-09-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Well, if you want to do some wasp hunting come up here to the PNW. Apparently we've got those massive "murder hornets" (apparently yet another Asian import) that can grow as large as a small bird and have a sting that feels like a gunshot. I might have to hit Gunbroker and get myself a Street Sweeper or SPAS-12 for the next time I venture outside.
Have you played with one of those Bug-A-Salt “rifles” yet? They’re really fun to take out the wasps and hornets looking for a place to squat.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:47 AM

As I'm looking out the window I see nasty white stuff falling from the sky with about a two inch accumulation on the ground. I guess I'm in the Michigan season known as Late Winter. Don't see any range trips in my immediate future.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
It is always open to me.
Living the dream man. I think once I get my truck paid off I'm gonna buy a chunk of land in a rural spot and start working on gettin away from the coast.