Is stainless worth $60-$70 more? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 AM

Is stainless worth $60-$70 more?

Well, I keep flip-flopping on which model of Taurus I want to get. I personally have always liked the looks of blued pistols (particularly 1911s) more than stainless. I keep reading/hearing though that the blueing on the PT1911 is garbage. I was planning on picking a blued model up for about $595 OTD here as soon as my W-2s get in, but I found a shop about 30 miles from me that has a few stainless models in stock selling for $619 (base price, not including additional fees).

I'm figuring that $619 would turn into $660 or better, although I could be wrong on the out the door price.

What I'm asking is whether anybody would recommend the stainless, rather than the blued. Is it worth spending the extra money? I sure as Hell don't want my 1911 to rust at all, but the main factor for me is that the stainless will cost more... not sure how much though.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 AM

Stainless takes a little extra time to machine...that's why it costs more.

I prefer stainless myself...several of my rifles and all of my pistols are stainless because stainless is one finish that will not wear off.

Its up to you though...get whatever you're going to be satisfied with.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
---------------------------------------------------------
http://1911auto.org

Last edited by ridgerunner665; 02-02-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunner665 View Post
I prefer stainless myself...several of my rifles and all of my pistols are stainless because stainless in one finish that will not wear off.
I agree. I have quite a few more stainless firearms than blued. Its just easier to maintain. If its going to be carried/used, pay the extra for the stainless.

All of my blued shotguns have rust somewhere, despite my best attempts at wiping down after being rained out of the woods. It annoys the crap out of me (yes I'm a little anal about my firearms).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 AM

I seem to recall that the Taurus blued finish was not very durable on their 1911 when it was first introduced. I don't have personal experience with that, however, and don't know if their finish is more durable now; hopefully, others will comment.

I prefer stainless pistols for carry, because any blued pistol will show holster wear, in time.
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 01-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil816 View Post
Well, I keep flip-flopping on which model of Taurus I want to get. I personally have always liked the looks of blued pistols (particularly 1911s) more than stainless. I keep reading/hearing though that the blueing on the PT1911 is garbage. I was planning on picking a blued model up for about $595 OTD here as soon as my W-2s get in, but I found a shop about 30 miles from me that has a few stainless models in stock selling for $619 (base price, not including additional fees).

I'm figuring that $619 would turn into $660 or better, although I could be wrong on the out the door price.

What I'm asking is whether anybody would recommend the stainless, rather than the blued. Is it worth spending the extra money? I sure as Hell don't want my 1911 to rust at all, but the main factor for me is that the stainless will cost more... not sure how much though.
why not go with duo tone?

i have one, yeas, the bluing sucks but this will be cured with my oven and about $30 worh of gun-kote/dremel and polish.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Yes it is worth it... Get the stainless and you can customize it anyway you want to and never have to worry about rust... It is a no brainer to me
Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Yes, Yes.
Dan Wesson Valor (2009) Valor #46 Cotep #184
Springfield TRP 10mm 6" RMR
Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 PM

Well, you guys have helped me make up my mind. If I can manage to get a stainless, that's exactly what I'll go for.

And JurisMyDiction; I would actually prefer the due-tone, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM

The duo tone really does look good.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:25 PM

I like the stainless also. It is the most durable. Minor scratches can also be buffed out with a scotch brite pad. What I'm not wild about with stainless is the "bling" factor. My final comment belongs in the Springfield area. Recently I was looking for another 1911 and noticed a different looking finish on a Springfield Loaded. Not parked but not shinny stainless.... it was blackened stainless. No bling! Had to have it.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue View Post
I like the stainless also. It is the most durable. Minor scratches can also be buffed out with a scotch brite pad. What I'm not wild about with stainless is the "bling" factor. My final comment belongs in the Springfield area. Recently I was looking for another 1911 and noticed a different looking finish on a Springfield Loaded. Not parked but not shinny stainless.... it was blackened stainless. No bling! Had to have it.
Exactly. That's the only reason I like the look of the blued more. The stainless just makes me automatically think that it's a "G"'s pistol. I can picture somebody holding it sidewards, like a complete retard and blasting randomly at cops.

But yeah, I know what you're talking about with the "blackened" stainless - that's a fine finish and I wish Taurus had it on one of their models. The duo-tone is close though. Too bad they're basically impossible to find at the moment.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:24 PM

I was never a ss fan until my wife bought my ss pt 1911 and i love it!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:35 PM

Well unfortunately, I've only found ONE stainless out of about a dozen shops within 50 miles of me, and they want about $780 out the door - way too much in my opinion.

I found only one blued one in stock at a shop that's about a 15 minute drive from my house, and with a website special price quote I'll pick it up for $581 OTD - it's a standard blued version with the walnut grips (which when new includes an extra set of the black grips as well). I just got my tax return a few hours ago and I'm going to pick up the pistol in the morning. Only about 12 more hours!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 AM

Pay the extra for the stainless. I wished I would have now. The blued finish on the Taurus is known to be exceptionally thin and will start to wear on the edges. I think the bluing on my Taurus is maybe a small step better than parkerizing. It's not that great at all.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 02-03-2009, 11:38 AM

A vote for stainless here too.
Get the stainless and have it hard chromed, ' best bomb proof, combo finish you can have for the money.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Yes, if you aren't concerned with stealth or tactical applications. Otherwise, black stainless is the way to go.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM

I live in Alabama heat and humidity and sweat profusely.
I resolved years ago never to buy another non-stainless firearm if stainless was available as an option. It is worth the extra cost to me, without question. If only they made stainless Hi-Powers...
Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisMyDiction View Post
why not go with duo tone?

i have one, yeas, the bluing sucks but this will be cured with my oven and about $30 worh of gun-kote/dremel and polish.
I went and looked at some PT1911's, it will be my first pistol except for an old Colt Woodsman. Will the Stainless or Bi-tone be the better choice? The bi-tone is amazing looking and so is the stainless, but the stainless looks a little like a G gun which could be changed with some different grips.

Last edited by CurtMac; 02-03-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 PM

Get the stainless and customize it to your taste!!

I went with stainless because in AZ it gets up 115 degrees and sweat is an issue. Stainless is MUCH more resistant to the elements and is very easy to keep looking good. I am out of the Marines now and don't need a "tactical" gun anymore and with how fast an actual gunfight goes down anyway, the finish of a gun really has zero bearing on the outcome.

Anyway, I would wait and get a stainless over a blued as it is well worth the wait IMO... As far as the duo-tone goes isnt the frame still blued on those?

Here is what I did to customize mine... Just buy the aerosol Gun-Kote or the Teflon / Moly baking laquor from Brownells and have some fun making it yours!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:52 PM

i found my stainless for 599.99 at ozarkguns.com. you just have to keep looking. ozarkguns.com will ship it to your FFL.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 PM

With modern lubes the difference isn't that big, and remember SS can rust and will often pit more deeply than blued steel. I think its more what you like. If I carry a gun in public, even under my coat, I don't want bling and like blued guns and even replace the grips with black plastic. So, I ended up replacing my XSE LW Commander (Which I still own and shoot.):

With an all steel blued Commander on which I replaced the nice wood grips with some cheaper plastic grips.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil816 View Post

I like SS, but lately I have been buying blued. I prefer the lines of a blued 1911 with wood grips. SS is easier to clean and in my opinion shows scratches, blemishes, and other odd marks more so than blued. Blued pistols tend to show wear from a holster, which could be a problem if it will be a ccw. I use to only buy SS, now I am buying more blued 1911's. The point I am trying to make is buy what you want. It seems your are leaning one way already, so stick it out. Just my 0.02 and happy shopping.

The duotone Taurus is awesome as well and it is the best of both worlds.
“The Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living” Socrates; Socrates is a Man, All Men Are Mortal, Socrates is Mortal. " A Great Civilization is Not Conquered From Without Until it Has Destroyed itself From Within" W. Durant
Old 04-04-2009, 03:10 AM

oh Yea!!

Stainless does not mean stainproof.It overall is a more durable finish,but still needs care.Just ask all the blackpowder guys.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:48 PM

SS is not corrosion proof. That being said, all of my 1911's are SS. I like blue guns too, but don't like the potential for needing an expensive strip and refinish sooner or later. With SS a $50 bead blast is all you need. If you have brushed flats add another few bucks for scotchbrite. I have become especially fond of a the total matte bead blast finish on SS. Much more forgiving to showing scratches than polished or brushed flats. When the CBOB gets scratched up enough I'm having it totally blasted.

Dan Wesson CBOB
Detonics USA Service Master Compact
Detonics USA Combat Master
Old 04-07-2009, 03:14 PM

I've learned to really appreciate SS. I still prefer blued for a presentation/range gun like my Gold Cup, but for carry or general use, I like the extra corrosion resistance that comes with SS. I also don't have to worry about holster wear either.