1911Forum banner

Need power pistol 45acp load

14K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  WESHOOT2 
#1 ·
I'am looking for a 850-860fps .45acp load using a 230gr cast rn lead bullet and power pistol. I want this load for a 1911 5" government model. Need actual velocity chronographed from 5" barrel.

#4 · (Edited)
Alliant emailed me the range they recommended for lead 230 gr bullets, and it was 6.0 to 6.5.

I load a LOT of Power Pistol in semi-auto and revolver. I loaded a range under a 230 gr. LRN from 6.5 to 7.4 grains. I also asked Alliant whether or not the loads above 7 were in +P territory, and they said they might be close.

6.5 to 7 "feels" about like commercially available ball ammo in the 850 fps range. My gun liked the 7 grain load the best, but when I ran it over the chrono it was only showing around 800 fps avg. I'd like to run the chrono again on an overcast day (the sun wasn't in an ideal position the first time) to verify those results, though.

Here's 5 shots offhand, standing two-hand hold at 35 feet with the 7 grain load. That's a 1-inch paster:

Interestingly, my M&P45 like the 7.4 grain load the best, but that same load out of my lightweight 1911 (pictured above) was just painful. I was running an 18.5 lb. recoil spring, and my trigger finger was getting bashed on the trigger guard with each shot.

I personally would not go much past 7 grains.

These loads proved safe in my guns, I assume no responsibility if they don't in yours. Start at 6 and work up!

#5 ·
Hammer, are those sights factory issue, or did you have them installed? They are exactly the style I'm looking for.

#6 ·
Those are custom sights that John Harrison installed for me. The front, I believe, is an MGW blank that he shaped, then had a Trijicon bulb installed in. The rear is one of his proprietary sights, which you can buy off his website

www.harrisoncustom.com

#7 ·
Some self research

I know the online Alliant Reloader's Guide has limited data for Power Pistol, but here's how to get a whole lot more from Alliant online. This works for most of their powders.
  • Go to the Alliant home page.
  • Don't go to the Reloader's guide.
  • Click the pulldown menu button "Products".
  • Click the type of powder, in this case Handgun.
  • (Note: Some handgun powders are listed under shotgun.)
  • Click on the powder you want, in this case Power Pistol.
  • Find the blue text, "View All Power Pistol Recipes".
You will get an astounding list of cartridges with Power Pistol recipes.
Probably 10 times as many recipes compared to the online Reloader's Guide.
You can also get their printed manual, which also has more data.

In this expanded list, it only has jacketed and plated bullets for Power Pistol,
simply because they view PP as more than a plinking powder.
But you will see that they list some rather heavy loads.
Compare these to your other books, like Lyman Pistol & Revolver.

#9 · (Edited)
I know the online Alliant Reloader's Guide has limited data for Power Pistol, but here's how to get a whole lot more from Alliant online. This works for most of their powders.
  • Go to the Alliant home page.
  • Don't go to the Reloader's guide.
  • Click the pulldown menu button "Products".
  • Click the type of powder, in this case Handgun.
  • (Note: Some handgun powders are listed under shotgun.)
  • Click on the powder you want, in this case Power Pistol.
  • Find the blue text, "View All Power Pistol Recipes".
You will get an astounding list of cartridges with Power Pistol recipes.
Probably 10 times as many recipes compared to the online Reloader's Guide.
You can also get their printed manual, which also has more data.

In this expanded list, it only has jacketed and plated bullets for Power Pistol,
simply because they view PP as more than a plinking powder.
But you will see that they list some rather heavy loads.
Compare these to your other books, like Lyman Pistol & Revolver.
Or, you could just send them an email like I did :)

They were very quick to respond, forthcoming with infomartion (he gave me loads for other cast lead bullets as well, without my asking), and were eager to hear of my results once I finished accuracy and chronograph testing.

Power Pistol is a great powder, and I use it more than any other. I wish Alliant published more cast bullet loads using it, especially for revolvers, but I've obtained much of my revolver load info from Brian Pearce articles in "Handloader", and from WESHOOT2's advice.

#10 ·
6.5 gr gave me 825 average in one 1911 and 840 in the other. 10 shot strings with a standard deviation around 9 fps, very consistent. This was between 25-35 degrees F. I'm not sure how temperature sensitive Power Pistol is, I'll run some more this summer to find out. Both 5 inch barrels and seated to 1.260 with a Winchester Large Pistol primer in Winchester brass. This was with a Lyman 452374 cast bullet (nominally 225gr but lubed up mine are just under 230gr).
Power Pistol has the advantage of being very clean burning as well but seems a bit "flashy" to me with muzzle flash and blast seeming more significant that other powders I use.

#11 ·
+ 1 for Power Pistol! I use this in my 9mm and going to start using it for my 45 I just picked up. Remington 185 jhp. Looking forward to seeing how tight of a group my TRP will produce.

#12 ·
crazy chrono

Same-lot ammo, same day, near-exact conditions, many varied 1911s (the day was designed for testing someone's new 6" 1911) and other 45ACP-chambered guns.

What did we learn?

We learned that the 'slowest' gun was the new sixer, 'slower' than even my 4.25" Witness. Slower than his 5".
The same ammo lot varied over 100fps between fastest and slowest 1911s.

"UNLESS YOU TEST YOU GUESS"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.