1911Forum banner

Remington 1911-R1 pic thread

450K views 617 replies 326 participants last post by  1911FanJunky 
#1 ·
#11 ·
Oh I know that, but the parent company was and is again Remington. It just seems to be a nice way to give a nod back to my roots where 45's are concerned. Of course finding an old Remington Rand would be cool, but we all know that would be at best a worn slide/frame issue as well as more than likely a lot of cost so these offer a neat way to go.
I like these new Remy 1911's. They have the good stuff that makes a 45 work well already done with a minimum of go fast parts. For what they cost, a guy could buy two instead of one of the $1200 'other brands' and have a really nice shooting pair of 45's

#12 ·
Here's my R1. Started out bone stock, but had to replace the squishy short trigger, gawd-awful SS bushing, and add a ambi-safety (a must for us southpaws).

What I added was primarily Swenson parts, save the ambi-safety and that's Wilson Combat.

This is the first 1911 with a standard grip safety that didn't draw blood after 5 shots. She's definitely a keeper. Internally, I put in a new sear and trigger. I also had to replace one part of the FP safety, as one piece fell out on reassembly and stubbornly would not be found until two days ago.

BTW, look out for the plunger pin. When you remove the safety, it tends to want to go airborne, and it does so rather quickly. Fortunately, I was able to locate it every time (unlike the FP safety part) with in a minute or two of hearing it ricochet around the room. I've really got to get me that safety removal tool.

#18 ·
Thanks!!!

i fit an Ed Brown grip safety. i probably have ~6hours of fitting for that alone using just files and sandpaper. at least the hard part is done, so when the rest of my parts come in it'll only be an hour or 2 left of work. then i'll need to get it refinished. the beavertail is just cold blue for right now.

#23 ·
still waiting on my hammer and rear sight :(
You sure you wanna' do that?

I've heard of a few guys that read about a few other guys that knew another fella' who's wife was married to someone that had a relative who's sister was married to someone that saw one those R1's in a sealed glass display case and he thought it didn't look good......

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

#29 · (Edited)
Seems Quack and I have been in a race to see who can erase the R1's original identity the quickest.

Looks like he's catching up :)

Here's what I've done so far:

C&S Tactical Match trigger kit
Radius frame and installed EB Memory Grip Safety
C&S long aluminum trigger
C&S extended safety
EB extended mag release
S&A checkered MSH
Light carry bevel
Install and reprofile EB hardcore slide stop to prevent overhang
EGW oversized firing pin stop with small radius
EGW HD extractor
EGW oversized ejector to fix the unsightly gap at the back of the slide
10-8 NM rear sight (much fitting required)
Blast, parkerize, and spray on Gunkote Satin Black
VZ Double Diamond Grips

#31 · (Edited)
Yep, the EGW has plenty of meat all around to take up any gaps. Also means it takes a lot longer to fit all around. I also tried another ejector from my bag of parts that left the gap at the back.

Whenever I think I might want to try my hand at checkering, I just go back and read several posts from guys who have trashed guns that needed to welded up and re-profiled :bawling:. I may send mine out for machine checkering at some point when I get it just right.

Also need to decide what I'm going to do about a final finish for this one. Can't see spending big bucks on Hard Hat for a $600 gun. The Gunkote, Cerakote, etc are OK, but not as durable as I'd like. Maybe Mahovsky's Metalife (around $155). Had it done on a HK P7 that turned out pretty well. Just don't know if the R1 will look right in HC.

Quack--I'm interested to see how your bout with the 10-8 rear sight goes. Have you gotten it yet?