X-tac Treatment - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 02:51 PM

X-tac Treatment

For those of you that like the x-tac treatment, do you like both the grip and rear serrations or just the grip? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2020, 03:05 PM

I have only tried the EDC-X9 with both front and back X-Tac but must say I like it a lot. I have always liked the front strap checkering on my 1911s and never bothered with the back strap since the aggressive checkering is rough on clothing. I do like the X-Tac on the back as it is not too aggressive and makes the gun stick in your hand and not roll any, but since it is a 9mm it might not move around anyway
Old 01-13-2020, 03:17 PM

Thanks pacecars, if i can clarify, I meant the frontstrap/mainspring housing vs. the rear cocking serrations on the slide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 03:44 PM

Works well for me. More aggressive than the typical serrations but in a good way. It’s even more so on my XTAC in SS vs my X9L. I’m thinking the difference might be because the XTAC is SS.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:22 PM

Gotcha! I actually prefer the looks of the traditional slide serrations but find no practical difference in function of the different treatments. The X9 is so easy to cycle that I don’t really know if they provide better grip and I have not shot it in the rain or a lot of sweat to test either.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMac View Post
For those of you that like the x-tac treatment, do you like both the grip and rear serrations or just the grip? Thanks!
I find the serrations on both the grip and the rear cocking serrations of the slide in XTAC pattern not that noticeable on 9mm (although I prefer it on a 9mm anyway), but very preferable and helpful on the Pro or Compact guns in .45 ACP. The .45's have a heavier mainspring and recoil spring than the 9's do, and the standard serrations on the .45's don't give as good a purchase to rack the slide IMO.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 01-13-2020, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the input! This will be in 9mm so maybe not as important.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 PM

I like both the grip Xtack and the serrations. The former because it is the best grip treatment out there IMO. The later because it looks good and is unique...I generally like the Xtac look, when the Xtac Supergrade promo came out with the black gun which also had Xtac down the length of the slide top I had to resist placing an order. But I just have too many guns now so I wouldn't know what to do with another. And yea, almost all of them have to go back at least once, albeit with my WC's only one each. My STI had to go back 3 times and it is only 2 years old. So I just as well stay satisfied with the awesome collection I have now.

That said, I'd like to see WC come out with the Xtac-AT-Dip option. You just send back any WC 1911 and they "dip" the gun in the Xtac-AT-Dip and it comes out with Xtack all over the gun. I'd send a few in it it was available.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 01-15-2020, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
I like both the grip Xtack and the serrations. The former because it is the best grip treatment out there IMO. The later because it looks good and is unique...I generally like the Xtac look, when the Xtac Supergrade promo came out with the black gun which also had Xtac down the length of the slide top I had to resist placing an order. But I just have too many guns now so I wouldn't know what to do with another. And yea, almost all of them have to go back at least once, albeit with my WC's only one each. My STI had to go back 3 times and it is only 2 years old. So I just as well stay satisfied with the awesome collection I have now.

That said, I'd like to see WC come out with the Xtac-AT-Dip option. You just send back any WC 1911 and they "dip" the gun in the Xtac-AT-Dip and it comes out with Xtack all over the gun. I'd send a few in it it was available.
I have less experience and really unqualified to make the same exact statement as I only have one Dan Wesson with the 25 LPI grip and 2 other Wilson Combats with their then standard 30 LPI. I would say however the XTAC grip treatment is very well executed and find it really does provide one with the ability to get a real good purchase on your gun. It really locks your hand in without being to aggressive.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
I have less experience and really unqualified to make the same exact statement as I only have one Dan Wesson with the 25 LPI grip and 2 other Wilson Combats with their then standard 30 LPI. I would say however the XTAC grip treatment is very well executed and find it really does provide one with the ability to get a real good purchase on your gun. It really locks your hand in without being to aggressive.
Your gun looks awesome with that Xtack down the length of the slide...What base gun did you start with for that build.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 01-15-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Your gun looks awesome with that Xtack down the length of the slide...What base gun did you start with for that build.

Thank you sir.

I didn't, the gun was built and already available on Gunslingers. The thing was I was considering a build but everything I saw was in Black Armor Tough and I already had a EDC X9L. As much as I wanted a XTAC in Black Armor Tuff it was too much like my EDC X9L. I had considered doing one in SS. Anyway after a few weeks of considering exactly what I wanted to do someone here recommended this one and since I had never used Gunslingers prior it was a well timed recommendation.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:26 AM

The X-Tac pattern is great. It affords me a very good grip. I've got full sized 10mm, the X-Tac pattern helps manage the recoil.

It's also aggressive enough to rough up your hand if you don't have a good solid grip on your gun. Spend a range session running the Bill Drill, the 6 shot string will reveal any flaws you have in your grip technique. If you end a range session with roughed up skin on your hand you WERE NOT gripping the handgun properly.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:16 AM

When looking for a XTAC orginally I wasn't initially looking for or even liking the slide top XTAC treatment. However when someone here was good enough to point me towards this one I just knew it all worked for me. I got the full XTAC treatment. The barrel isn't something you see often but it's more of a conversation piece on a forum such as this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wilson Combat XTAC A.jpg (1.68 MB, 20 views)
File Type: png Wilson Combat XTAC E.png (122.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png Wilson Combat XTAC F.png (227.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Dddrees; 01-15-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:06 AM

I'm still getting used to it on my X9 but so far I like the grip treatment and am indifferent to the slide serrations.

When I was thinking of getting a carry comp instead of the EDC X9 I kept going back and forth, and knowing what I know now I would have preferred the XTac. I find the checkering on my fathers CQB a bit slick, especially compared to my pair of Dan Wessons, double especially compared to my VBob which is wonderfully sharp and tactile.

I have pretty tough hands and haven't met checkering or texture that's too aggressive for them yet.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:44 PM

I find it doesn’t do as well of a job in sweaty/wet situations than regular checkering. My hands sweat, a lot!!! But normal circumstances, the X pattern is nice on my CQB.

My preference is 20 LPI checkering, so I’m likely the outlier here!