How much should you spend on an EDC... - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 10:25 AM

I often carry a DB380. Cost $200 brand new. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger and very accurate for a small, light pistol. I have yet to figure out how to carry a heavy steel gun when i am wearing gym shorts...
Old 02-20-2020, 01:14 PM

You don't need to spend much to have a reliable gun. Higher price tag does not automagically mean more reliability. Main thing is that it is a reliable gun, whatever the price tag, and one you shoot well and will carry and train with.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:29 PM

Police etching ID info on gun held in evidence

I retired from law enforcement after 30 years and then opened a P.I. business. I have specialized in the investigation of violent crime. I read this post and felt obligated to comment. If a law enforcement agency needs to engrave identification marks on a handgun or rifle (and that is only the case if the serial number has been removed) then they can do that in a concealed area of the gun so that they don't damage the firearm. In the case of a 1911, removing the grips and putting an identifying mark underneath the grips can be appropriate. Unfortunately, I've seen exactly what was described in the OP i.e. damaging the firearm by etching something on the side of the firearm. It is NEVER necessary to do that. I would suggest that anyone who has a firearm damaged in that way to file a claim with the agency and pursue legal action of necessary. In all but a few cases, there are serial numbers available and they can be used to identify a firearm. Police agencies have no legitimate reason to damage a firearm absent a court order to have it destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPS1911A1 View Post
I used to work at a large independent gun store in Texas. They will buy good used guns or take them on trade.

One trade they took was a stainless Colt 1911. According to the owner the pistol was involved in a shooting. The police took the pistol as evidence and crudely engraved a case number on the frame.

It was a few years before the owner was able to gain possession of his property. He didn't get the gun back in the same condition that it was when the police took it for evidence. Plus the 1911 had too many bad memories for him so he sold it.

That got me to thinking about how much we spend for an EDC. We want the best we can afford. We don't give any thought what would happen to our prized handgun if it has to be taken into evidence should we have to defend ourselves.

A friend of mine did a stupid thing and was arrested for DWI. Naturally his carry permit came up for review due to the arrest but they confiscated his pistol. They couldn't leave it in the car because it was towed.

This was over a year and a half a go and he still doesn't have it back.

I bought a Tisas 1911 that I wouldn't lose any sleep over if I were involved in a self defense shooting and the police took it for evidence. I paid less than $400 for it. That an a SA XDs 9.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:29 PM

How cool would it be to have a half dozen case numbers.....each with a single line going through them as each case was closed.....down the flats on your slide......

"Let's see......this un was an attempted robbery back in '82.....an this un was that jealous husband back in '97.....an this here one was that time..........."
Old 02-20-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
How cool would it be to have a half dozen case numbers.....each with a single line going through them as each case was closed.....down the flats on your slide......

"Let's see......this un was an attempted robbery back in '82.....an this un was that jealous husband back in '97.....an this here one was that time..........."
Would be very cool indeed, mark of distinction on a handgun if you ask me.

A better way to think of this thread is by lookin at how much most spend on a car payment, it's far in excess yearly of any gun one can carry. Just drive a used Toyota for three years and you can afford any handgun you want
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-20-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:

It would actually be a pretty damn sorry commentary on ones bad luck, lousy awareness skills, or a tendency to be ‘Nutty Shooter 3’.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
Quote:

It would actually be a pretty damn sorry commentary on ones bad luck, lousy awareness skills, or a tendency to be ‘Nutty Shooter 3’.
Kinda my thought. Maybe a fun "tough guy" fantasy, but the fallout from that many shootings (legal, emotional, financial) would be a nightmare, IMO.

Also, after the first few some prosecuters or ambulance chasers would start raising some eyebrows.

Kinda like skulls or check marks scratched in the grips or stock.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:30 PM

Uuuhhhmm...... It was a joke......

🙄
Old 02-20-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:

🙄
Uuuhhhmm........of course it was.......
Old 02-20-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:

🙄
It's honestly hard to tell on the interwebs without a smiley or two 🙂
Old 02-20-2020, 11:52 PM

What ever you can afford. Just dont go without one
Old 02-20-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
What ever you can afford. Just dont go without one
Post of the week.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I worried so much about my government model 1911 EDC being confiscated that I bought a second one. I am now up to twelve government model 1911s just in case. Am I safe?
Nope, you need a few more.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:42 AM

My EDC is a Sig C3 Revolution. If confiscated, when I got home out would come either the Taurus PT1911 or one of the two Rock Island 1911 CFs. And a new matching holster for the one that the C3 was in. If gotten back, if it had saved my or another's life, it likely would go into the lockup.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
Uuuhhhmm........of course it was.......
Poof.....

Problem solved.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:43 PM

I've carried a concealed weapon daily since 2005. Glock, HK, Colt, Wilson Combat, Walther, S&W, etc. etc. etc.

My present daily is either a Walther PPS or a Springfield Professional. I also carry an Ed Brown from time to time.

I've never given a second's thought to how much my CCW guns cost.

Or my holsters, or my belts, for that matter.

Or the training courses I've taken.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:45 AM

Don't buy a price, buy a reliable gun that you can shoot well. Price is only one of many factors.