1911Forum banner

For those that use Froglube, little Public Service Announcement

14K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  OperatorX 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there is a lot of heated debate about FL, seems you either love it, or hate it, well on another Forum a issue has been brought up.

Froglube and Mold forming on stored guns. I am not sure about linking another forum, and i hate to copy and paste, but here is a pick and a response the OP got back form FL customer service.

here is his first post

"Last night, I opened up my P229 .22 conversion unit. It has been packed away in the case for about 3-ish months. I cleaned, and liberally lubed it with said FrogLube prior to putting it away. Did the same for the P220 unit. Below is what I found last night. They're cellphone pics, but it shows it pretty clearly. It's mold. It's fuzzy on the top and even a bit of crunch on the surface. I then took a look at the P229 itself. Again, it's been tucked away in the back of the safe since before the Holidays. Safe has plenty of dessicant in it too. Anyone else have this issue? To be fair, I'm going to contact FL with the photos and inquiry. Don't know if it's something I've done in application or something else."

here is the response he got from FL customer service.

"Got hold of their CS department. Actually pretty receptive and knew right off the bat what the deal was. It seems that I have older "legacy product" (their words) that has been reformulated to include an "anti-rancid ingrediant" (again their words). Gave me an address to send what's left of my jar (not much) and will send me a jar of "new and improved" at no cost. Told me to simply clean old stuff off gun. (duh!)

I guess the "new stuff" has a gold stripe on the label...so hurry and check yours!!"

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for posting that. I use Frog Lube too and love it. And I've got several safe queens and have never had that problem. Obviously I must have some newer reformulated Frog Lube.

Glad to read they were quick to respond and to offer to replace the product.

#9 ·
i have been using FL for almost a year now, and i have the original stuff still, and never seen these issues.

I did notice a little white buildup on some crevices that i could not wipe all the froglube out of on one gun, but otherwise nothing like the pics that this guy posted.

I thought everybody knew not to store guns in closed foam cases? You're lucky it's not covered in rust. That does not excuse the mold, though. FrogLube being an organic compound, I can see how it may support mold/mildew, etc., so there should have been a caution from the maker on the product to not seal up guns that you use it on. But if you don't seal up guns in the first place, you don't get mildew.
i actually did not know that about foam cases, need to read up on that more, but these pics are of someone elses issue i just thought some here would like to know.

Anytime there is a mold problem, I suspect a humidity problem.
yep that is key as well, and some other posters had asked him about it.

#6 ·
I thought everybody knew not to store guns in closed foam cases? You're lucky it's not covered in rust. That does not excuse the mold, though. FrogLube being an organic compound, I can see how it may support mold/mildew, etc., so there should have been a caution from the maker on the product to not seal up guns that you use it on. But if you don't seal up guns in the first place, you don't get mildew.

#19 ·
I got tired of waiting for a hair dryer to heat up the parts;found that a dedicated heat-gun is the ticket.(about $10 at Harbor freight)

After 2 years use of the stuff;no "mold".

The heat gun makes the paste run down into cracks and crevices quite nicely. Never have had desire to use the high-heat setting;the low setting is damn hot and fast!

Toxic solvents can cause impotence.

#39 ·
I've been using FrogLube for a while now, and have never seen this. But then again, I don't ride my horse hard and put it away wet. This issue isn't about the kind of lube. It's about storage. I dare say that if any other lube had been used, with enough atmospheric moisture present to induce a growth of mold such as this, rust would have been everywhere. If anything, the FrogLube was doing everything it was designed to do in holding its' own, and protecting the metals against a terrible moisture condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.