full auto, would you be for it? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 07:09 AM

full auto, would you be for it?

Let’s pretend that, beyond all our wildest dreams, a Vote to allow the average person to purchase a fully automatic weapon alongside a semiauto rifle and for the same price. Would you be for or against it?
Would you support anyone that can now purchase a firearm be able to purchase any fully auto magic rifle? Would you be against it? If so, why?

Last edited by Johnny handgun; 08-06-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:42 AM

The Second Amendment is there for the citizenry to protect itself from a tyrannical government. If that is interpreted to it's fullest extent, "the citizenry" should be allowed to have any weapon the representatives of the tyrannical government has. In that sense, sure, you should be able to own a fully automatic weapon.

Having said that, I'm not sure that I (a) want one myself because I don't like to waste ammunition and I'm sure I could waste a lot with a full auto, and (2) I'm not sure that i want my neighbor to have Cruise missiles if they want one!
Old 08-06-2019, 07:51 AM

I've always wanted a tank. A tank would be real cool. Abrahms tanks are pretty cool. Ammo might be a bit salty but boy would that be pretty neat on July 4th. The ultimate BBQ gun. Think of the fun driving up the street to someone's BBQ party. Yeah. I'd be the talk of the town alright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 AM

You either understand and believe in the U.S. Constitution - or you don't.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:59 AM

My Christmas list would be easy that year.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 AM

Since we are talking about fantasy land then sign me up for on of the hollywood full auto models that never runs out of ammo
Old 08-06-2019, 08:38 AM

So, today's the day we should mentally frolic in LaLa Land??? What a total waste of time and bandwidth!!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:45 AM

Why didn’t you add free ammo to the dream....that doesn’t weigh 100 pounds/minute? Stash 1000 rounds of ammo in a can and jog around the block, let me know how that works out.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
So, today's the day we should mentally frolic in LaLa Land??? What a total waste of time and bandwidth!!
Would you prefer another lube thread? With everything that has gone on the past few days a trip to lala land is not a bad idea. It sure as hell beats listening to the politicians try to turn tragedy into votes.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Aside from always wanting a full-auto M1 Thompson I don't think my collection would change much. My ARs would of course have that third position on the safety, but I doubt I'd ever use the feature much. The thing about full-auto is that it's fun for maybe a couple of minutes, then you soon get bored with it and realize that you're just burning up expensive ammo.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Aside from always wanting a full-auto M1 Thompson I don't think my collection would change much. My ARs would of course have that third position on the safety, but I doubt I'd ever use the feature much. The thing about full-auto is that it's fun for maybe a couple of minutes, then you soon get bored with it and realize that you're just burning up expensive ammo.
^This
Old 08-06-2019, 09:08 AM

Full auto would be fun for about a minute. Cause that's how long your ammo would last.

To answer your question, a full auto gun is no bigger threat to society than a semi-auto when in the hands of a law abiding citizen. So I think they should be legal to purchase without the whole pre '86 restrictions.

I also believe that if normal citizens aren't allowed to purchase full auto then law enforcement shouldn't have them either(I'm sure it's not that common except specialized units).

If full auto was readily available to normal people, I would never buy another semi-auto.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Would you prefer another lube thread? With everything that has gone on the past few days a trip to lala land is not a bad idea. It sure as hell beats listening to the politicians try to turn tragedy into votes.
He speaks the truth
Old 08-06-2019, 09:12 AM

I'd love to own a FA Thompson Sub-machine gun in 45 just for fun...And if a mass-shooter break's in my house while I am virtually shopping at the mall from my home internet connection I guarantee the 45 holes will put him/her (need to be PC here) down faster then any 223/556 at close-quarter's!!! :-0 Nuttin like a Tommy Gun.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 08-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
Iím sorry , your royal crabbiness. Beside giving a bit of fun distraction there is a very very serious question here. If you canít grasp that without having your hand held then Iím sorry. I didnít expect you to be someone tht would wiff on the question entirely.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Some of the people coming into my gun range now are scary enough in terms of how they handle firearms. I can imagine those jack wagons with a full auto and trying to fire it under control.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:47 AM

I fired a full auto m14 and a Thompson.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 08-06-2019, 09:54 AM

I could go for Ruger 10/22 in full auto. It would be great fun to chase a rabbit with. Any centerfire would be too expensive to shoot. And after the first shot it would no longer be aimed fire.
"A superior man, when resting in safety, forgets not that peril is ever present. When in a state of security, he forgets not that ruin is only a breath away. When all is orderly, he forgets not that chaos ever hovers over him. Thus, his state and clans are preserved." ************************************************** ******************** Confucius
Old 08-06-2019, 10:19 AM

I might support it with addtl qualifications. FA is not for everyone. And we can all remember the girl shooting the Uzi who accidentally killed the instructor standing right next to her as an example. Somebody would want a video for Facebook and let their kid shoot their gun and the child would wind up spraying everyone and everything.
Right now as it is I hate to say it but the cost of full auto weapons keeps the yayhoos away from them which may be a good thing.
COTEP#782
Old 08-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Oh heck yeah, I'd get an auto sear pack for everything I have that can use one. ARs, G3, SCARs, AKs, M1A, all the PCCs and SMG type guns and all the Glocks too.

Always fun to have the 3rd/4th settings!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 08-06-2019, 10:43 AM

FOR.

And we should be allowed one of these in our backyards, too.

To keep rogue officials & their ilk, on the, "up & up."
Old 08-06-2019, 10:46 AM

I have next best thing, a binary trigger. Runs as fast and in some cases faster than full auto, but they are a pricy trigger. It was worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0427.jpg  
Old 08-06-2019, 10:47 AM

In this LaLa Land, are Bumpstocks back?
Old 08-06-2019, 10:53 AM

Chump stocks, what a joke. Bawhahahahahahahaha lol
Old 08-06-2019, 11:15 AM

Such a thing would never be put to a vote. And, the price is market driven. Also not subject to a vote.