where to buy bulk food? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-19-2019, 01:53 PM

where to buy bulk food?

I've been making progress on my getting squared away, and feel like I have water, ammo, etc all set. Now I'm starting to focus on food. At the suggestion of the good people here I made some room in the house, so I could do a few of those buckets for storage or some #10 cans.

Now I'm wondering where's the best place to buy food in bulk like this? I'm still open to various brands and stuff, I have 2 of those month emergency buckets, but I wouldn't mind some basics like rice, beans, etc. Not looking to spend a lot of money all at once, and would like stuff that can be eaten "normally" later so I can cycle.

suggestions?
Old 04-19-2019, 04:20 PM

Amish stores usually have a selection of bulk food.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 PM

Costco
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Sam's, Costco. Example, 12 pound bag of black beans for about $8 at Sam's.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:00 PM

You might also try the Hispanic grocery stores.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:40 AM

no sams/costco membership so far, and I'm in Dallas (instead of formerly rural PA) and haven't seen an Amish stores down here.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:51 AM

I have used and have stored products from a company called Nutristore. On their website you can seen a myriad of products. Or check out their products on Amazon. In addition there is a similar company called Auguson Farms, also present on Amazon.
For any survival planning you need to consider water--many hundreds of gallons--for drinking and for rehydrating and cooking dried foods. Or if you are by a lake or river, then you need filtration/purification systems.

Last edited by Rob S; 04-20-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 AM

Smart & Final is pretty good for bulk stuff and they have weekly sales to take advantage of, but I don't know if they have any stores in Texas.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:58 AM

For bulk foods try WinCo. They have just about everything. Buy in bulk, then use a "Seal A Meal" system, or oven/dry canning using quart or pint jars for long term, or individual serving sized, storage.
For factory packaged foods in #10 cans, try Walmart. Last time I did it they had Free Shipping on orders over $35. Which basically amounted to orders over 3 cans.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:12 AM

I enjoy going to the Asian market for bulk rice, and ramen noodles.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:40 AM

Any Mormons in your area? Their Mormon Canneries/Home Storage Centers will sell to anyone.

Other churches often have connections with "food pantries" or food banks" even if they don't operate kitchens on their own. You might be able to tack your order on with theirs if you can't buy directly. I'm not sure how all that works now since the Fed got involved a few years back.

Some church groups used to do bulk buying; parishoners pooling their funds to get better prices on stuff. That doesn't seem all that common any more, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

There's always Amazon and eBay...

The "survival" or "prep" places tend to be expensive if you're not careful.

One thing to keep in mind: if your scenario involves having to do without normal water supply, some foods take a lot of water to prepare in the usual ways. If you're going to be running off stored water you need to adjust your recipes accordingly.

I tend to go with canned goods, buying a can or two every time I got to Wal-Mart or Dollar General. A lot of canned goods are pre-cooked and only need to be warmed up, or can be eaten cold if it comes down to that
Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 PM

Costco, always Costco
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 PM

I agree, Costco!