Coleman white gas---yeah baby! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 10:23 PM

Coleman white gas---yeah baby!

I do a lot of camping for recreation and I've accumulated a lot of gear as what works for car camping doesn't do well when back packing. What works when packing in on mules may not perform well in a Super Cub or on a canoe trip or gunkholeing. Motorcycle and bike trips are yet another kettle.

All of this gear can be an asset when contemplating weathering a natural disaster, of course, but two items that strike me as extraordinarily useful are the 40's 50's & 60's car camper's favorites, the Coleman white gas two burner stove and lantern---you can include the more modern Coleman multifuel models of course, but for the money used Coleman white gas fired gear is an amazing deal. Here's a lantern that can really light up the night and a two or three burner stove that can do anything your kitchen range can do. Generators and pumps are easily repaired if need be (and likely never will) and lantern mantles, if you treat them according to Coleman's directions (fire, then let cool before lighting the lantern for the first time,) can last seasons barring any jars.
Back in the day, Coleman marketed them as Camping Pals so wherever you find one, you'll likely find the other at swap meets, Craig's, yard sales and junk shops. For $20-30 you can have a standby light and stove if you don't already have them in your garage. Crown White Gas at Walmart is half the price of Coleman's.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:58 AM

John Joseph, you must be my age. When I say "white gas", most people say "What's that?". I remember when you used to be able to buy it at a service station.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
John Joseph, you must be my age. When I say "white gas", most people say "What's that?". I remember when you used to be able to buy it at a service station.
....from a pump just like gasoline. This was when diesel was found at truck stops only and gasoline was regular or ethel. The term unleaded had not been invented. Guns were seldom abused and murders were electructed or gasses swiftly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018, 11:03 AM

Amoco high test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
It was "white gas". I picked up two lanterns and a stove for five bucks each not too long ago.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:46 AM

I have two, one from the 60's and another from the 80's. The lanterns provide a massive amount of light to a very low adjustable warm glow.
The stoves have controllable heat and go and go. Heavy, but dependable.
I use the compact single burner white gas (kerosene) backpacking stove if going light. Both work great and always work! Old tech is sometimes still the best tech.

Keep a couple of mantle sets and matches in the bottom of the lantern case and you are golden.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:35 AM

Dad (81) had/has one of those old green Coleman stoves. Said he thought the fuel was too expensive so started running it on gasoline. That's all I've ever seen it run on, thing never failed to fire up even after sitting for years sometimes.

He also had a '68 Dodge D100 Camper Special with a slide-in he bought as a set. That thing survived everything except a head-on collision when I was a kid. Used to spend every fall cutting and splitting firewood, then loading that long ass bed up to the top of the cab....me complaining about my back hurting and dad telling me I wasn't old enough to have a back yet.

Last edited by SSellers; 03-02-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:49 AM

I still use one. I love fish but my wife does not and gags at the smell of it. I just go out on the back porch with the Coleman stove and cook all the fish I can eat (which is substantial). I love my Coleman two burner.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:27 PM

I remember buying white gas from a pump at out "Flying A" gas station. Leaded gas would foul the generator in the Coleman stove and produce lead fumes to breathe. Modern unleaded gas does not seem to foul the generator of my stove.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 03-02-2018, 03:45 PM

There apparently is a great deal of confusion over what Coleman Fuel is, and its simply Naptha, or 'lighter fluid', probably highly filtered. Many years ago Amoco stations sold a premium unleaded gasoline commonly called 'white gas' because it was clear. I guess they still do, come to think about it. Anyway, you don't want to mix those two fuels up and use the wrong thing. Since this is a gun forum, lighter fluid is one of the better 'dry-cleaning' solvents you can use to clean a gun and prepare it for lubrication. You have to be careful with it but it's a little safer than gasoline for cleaning purposes.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 PM

A squirt bottle full of Naptha is a VERY useful thing to have on your bench. Melts most sticker glues fast and easy.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:51 PM

I have 3 stoves I picked up at garage sales for 5$ each. Cleaned up , flushed the fuel tanks, oiled the plunger and they work great.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Coleman Fuel is, and its simply Naptha, or 'lighter fluid', ... Many years ago Amoco stations sold a premium unleaded gasoline commonly called 'white gas'
To further the confusion, Coleman once sold gasoline stoves. I'm not sure what the difference was.

Modern gasoline doesn't keep well and is stinky when it burns. Off-brand lantern fuel costs very little more, and you don't have to wonder about strange carcenogenic additives in the fuel.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
I remember buying white gas from a pump at out "Flying A" gas station. Leaded gas would foul the generator in the Coleman stove and produce lead fumes to breathe. Modern unleaded gas does not seem to foul the generator of my stove.
It seems to work OK, but the white gasoline is pure
Gasoline with no additives at all. No ethanol, ect.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:59 AM

Try going into a gas station now and asking for white gas. They'd probably consider you a racist...
Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 PM

You can get Crown White Gas at Walmart for about 1/2 the price of Coleman branded White Gas
Old 03-06-2018, 12:25 AM

grew up in and around tightwad mo the old store had three pumps regular ethel and peral grade kerosenr
Old 03-06-2018, 12:26 AM

fingers just don't want to work tonight
Old 04-29-2018, 06:18 PM

A couple classic white gas stoves that also run on gasoline.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:53 AM

The old Coleman lanterns that burn white gas have a lot of nostalgia for me. Where I grew up we had a homestead 60 miles from town. No electricity out there. During hunting season we spent many hours in the cabin with the light from a couple green hissing lanterns. Good memories and I inherited one of the lanterns. Still have it.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:52 AM
Banned

I have a Coleman white gas lantern that I bought around 2000. Probably haven't used it in fifteen years. I probably should fire it up just to see if it works.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:31 AM

I used my 35+ year old Coleman stove & lantern camping last weekend-still going strong. I have converted the stove to be able to use 1lb propane bottles for convienience but have the tank as a back up.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:20 AM

FWIW there are even Colemans that run on kerosene, but those I find are kind of a pita to light up.
Colemans are long lived! Mine are from the late 1940s, and never gave a lick of trouble if kept clean (sort of like a 1911!) And if they do wear, parts are still plentiful and don't cost much. Restoring an old abused Coleman is really quite a bit of fun!

Check out yards sales and Craigs and you can find "Camping Buddies" (how Coleman used to market their lanterns and stoves) for a minute fraction of what the current Coleman Multi-fuel units are going for.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:48 PM

I am still using a Coleman 425 double burner stove that has been in the family for about 50 years. In all that time I have had to do zero maintenance on it. I have had a single mantle Coleman white gas lantern for better than 40 years. I carry about 10 extra mantles for it, but often go 2-3 seasons without having to change one out.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:34 PM

I have a 1990's single burner coleman made for backpacking that runs on regular gas.
Also have a 2 burner that runs on small propane bottles.

Coleman still makes most of them and more. Prices are way higher than $5 Bucks.

Keep hitting the yard sales!

https://www.coleman.com/coleman-stovesandgrills-stoves/
Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe
S&W Model 19
Old 08-01-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
I am still using a Coleman 425 double burner stove that has been in the family for about 50 years. In all that time I have had to do zero maintenance on it. I have had a single mantle Coleman white gas lantern for better than 40 years. I carry about 10 extra mantles for it, but often go 2-3 seasons without having to change one out.
Doubtful todayís i-generation could replace the mantle...there ainít an app! Hell the guy at the oil change told me most canít find the hood release.