What did you learn from the Government shut down? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 PM

What did you learn from the Government shut down?

Gov't employee or not, keeping a monetary reserve to pay bills and buy food should be at the top of the list, as is having a back up job skill.
What else can you add?
Old 01-25-2019, 07:17 PM

There is no such thing as bi-partisan anything.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:41 PM

That there's a LOT of government employees that do not consider themselves servants of the public, who seem to think that their position exists to provide them with employment, rather than performing a function of public service. Lots of "blue flu" going around with non furloughed employees.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 08:31 PM

That we can make due with a lot less employees and most of us wouldn't notice
Old 01-25-2019, 08:42 PM

A whole lot less!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:18 AM

The federal government is run Chicago Machine Politics style.
We need to RIF non essential gov employees.
Why do we even have non essential?
Shouldn't government only be essential?

Last edited by OttoLoader; 01-26-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 AM

1. That Congress has fully capitulated their responsibility to pass budgets and pass spending bills to the Office of the President. This is a complete abdication of their constitutional responsibilities.

2. That the country is being run by idiots, regardless of which party they claim to represent.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoLoader View Post
"Essential" vs "non essential" can be a pretty grey area... are administrators and clerks "essential" to running an organization? Probably yes. How many, and what skill levels? Successful organizations also have redundancy built in, so that functions do not stop when an employee is sick, on holiday, or leaves for some reason.
One could argue, successfully, that entire agencies and departments are "non essential". Do we really "need" National Parks? No. Do they help preserve our history and enhance our quality of life? Absolutely. Do we need a Federal Health and Human Services...? Maybe Heal, but not "human services"- whatever that means. Do we need dozens of Federal LE agencies, with all the associated infrastructure, support staff, and SES? Nope, it would be vastly more efficient to have a handfull of agencies, and "divisions" within them that perform various specialized functions...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 01-26-2019, 03:38 PM

That POTUS closed it down for nought.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Out View Post
Maybe.
However now the main issue is border security and the democrats are shown to oppose security and are for sanctuary states.
Eventually the portions of the wall will be built in my opinion.
Also show how unnecessary alot of the Fed gov is.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:52 PM

I've learned that Democrats are selfish spoiled little children, who feel our southern borders should remain open and care nothing about the safety of Americans, but hey...that's just me.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:56 PM

Nothing. I'm not sure anyone learned anything. It didn't go on nearly long enough. Has to run 4 or 5 months before people really get fed up with missed pay checks, flight cancellations and delays, no tax refunds, closed federal agencies, etc.

Maybe we'll have a real shutdown yet so we can have some political casualties in congress and the WH. That would put a smile on my face.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:21 PM

POTUS is damn lucky there wasn't a plane crash(or worse)or people dying from getting some bad steaks that slipped by while the USDA inspectors were out while he was holding his breath 'till he turned blue. Personally it had no effect on me, it just grew my resentment of the broken two party system that we seem to be stuck in a bit more. Anarchy is looking like a pretty good alternative to this amount of BS we've been enduring-at least I'd feel like I was represented
Old 01-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Out View Post
I'd like to point out the "game" isn't over yet..."The Fat Lady hasn't sung yet"... If anything, this is only the half time intermission.

Last edited by Jerry799; 01-27-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:06 AM

I am just pleased to see.

That we are getting our money's worth from our elected representatives.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:11 AM

Also learned that POTUS isn't as good at making deals he always brags about. Some say the shutdown didn't affect them, but the partial government shutdown damaged national security in that counterterrorism investigations to cybersecurity protections, critical elements of the country's national security infrastructure are reduced or put on hold outright endangering us all.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsotto View Post
1. That congress has fully capitulated their responsibility to pass budgets and pass spending bills to the office of the president. This is a complete abdication of their constitutional responsibilities.

2. That the country is being run by idiots, regardless of which party they claim to represent.
+1911

NRA Member- thanks to David Hogg for recruiting me
Old 01-27-2019, 10:41 AM

We will find out in 3 weeks what's what. We won't know who won til then. If no wall then maybe the end of Trump's presidency. Let's hope he has something up his sleeve. Dems need to be put in their place. AND SOON!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:59 AM

At first I was pissed POTUS capitulated, but then I realized on reflection, he really didn't, it is only half-time. Both sides made points, the Left mostly meaningless high-fives, POTUS has both sides talking about a proposal. This is something he didn't have before the shut down. That is also "points". Of course the lefty is using this as another opportunity to say POTUS is done forever, but we know better..

On feb 15 if he gets his wall funding he wins.
If he doesn't he has two choices, don't sign, and/or issue an emergency EO. Either way this goes, having gone through all the pain and suffering trying to get the legislators to solve the border-crisis, his political position, and his legal position when the EO gets litigated, are vastly strengthened.

Far from over, while Nancy is playing checker's with her petty words and actions, POTUS is playing chess (he is building his position for a win in the end).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-27-2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Nancy is playing "checkers" (of course :-))
Old 01-27-2019, 11:58 AM

I think it shows how badly term limits are needed for all elected officials.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:58 AM

I more or less agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
At first I was pissed POTUS capitulated, but then I realized on reflection, he really didn't, it is only half-time. Both sides made points, the Left mostly meaningless high-fives, POTUS has both sides talking about a proposal. This is something he didn't have before the shut down. That is also "points". Of course the lefty is using this as another opportunity to say POTUS is done forever, but we know better..

On feb 15 if he gets his wall funding he wins.
If he doesn't he has two choices, don't sign, and/or issue an emergency EO. Either way this goes, having gone through all the pain and suffering trying to get the legislators to solve the border-crisis, his political position, and his legal position when the EO gets litigated, are vastly strengthened.

Far from over, while Nancy is playing chess with her petty words and actions, POTUS is playing chess (he is building his position for a win in the end).
I think that he has strengthened his position as well. He has sent the people back to get their pay checks. But he still has them over a barrel. We will see.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:17 PM

That it's a lot easier to drive around DC when the government is shut down.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I think that he has strengthened his position as well. He has sent the people back to get their pay checks. But he still has them over a barrel. We will see.
And related, I'm more disgusted with Ann Coulter at this point than Nancy P...I have no problem w/Ann to continue to ride POTUS on twitter to get the wall done, but to go on Bill Maher (her self proclaimed friend) with a lefty audience and proclaim Trump is a wimp, and let Maher use her as a puppet to say POTUS is a liar, is just too low, and I've lost all respect for her. Cheeze, just to sell a few more books Ann - really! This is an example of a Stupid-Conservative.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 01-27-2019, 03:39 PM

Red face

Old 01-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoLoader View Post
So you don't consider the TSA to be essential?
I thought we wanted to keep our most permeable borders safe? (ie: airports)

The FBI?
I though we wanted to protect the USA from terrorism. The FBI agents are our first line of defense.

Air traffic controllers?
We should just let the traffic sort itself out?

Speaking of disaster preparedness,. NOAH, we don't want to know when a hurricane is coming? No chance to evacuate, just let it hit and then sort it out?

I think some more research into exactly who was furloughed and who was being forced to work without pay, which is simply unsustainable, and just how dangerous this is to the U.S. is in order.

We were put in harms way the last 30 days. Much more potential harm than anything a border wall could have protected us from.
Closed Thread