1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-28-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Good all-rounder - hmm, probably Cold Steel SRK.

Bush Ranger works too. Just in case you happen to raid a Subway for the last of the flatbread subs during the end of the world.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 04-13-2018, 10:54 PM

I'm thinking any old Fiskars fillet knife will work until you can get to your AR.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:38 AM

Another +1 for Marine Ka-Bar, can be used for oh so many things as well as SD. They come in 3 sizes. I have the mid size and large. The mid size is the classic (i think) and perhaps most versatile, but the large one is something to behold, and if I had to use a knife for SD (which as pointed out by others is a nasty proposition (but better than nothing)), I would go with size-Large Ka-bar.

I don't know much about knife fighting, but it seems a stiletto-type knife (not a switch-blade per se but something which is pointy, relatively thin, and optimize for penetration) is another alternative, but this would be much less versatile than the ka-bar (which is also a utility knife).

I think each type of knife above would influence the knife-fighting tactics. I read an older Marine manual which covered knife fighting some years ago (it may have been a WW2 era manual, I don't recall exactly), and the tactics were optimized for the Ka-Bar. They teach a reverse grip and it is really-basic-brutal-stuff as far as the instructions: block incoming, get to the enemies throat - slash it (made "easier" by using said reverse-grip), and then finish up with a down-stroke into the chest cavity above the rib-cadge. And they emphasis to the young-Marine that aggressiveness is essential to survival. (I have no idea if knife fighting training is the same today in the Marine Corp, perhaps a Marine on the forum can weigh-in.)
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-14-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2018, 05:30 AM

I think I'd want my combat axe close to me. I wouldn't want to be the recipient of either end of it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Busse TGLB

Busse Combat Team Gemini Light Brigaide.
The knife I would grab in a SHTF scenario.
It also splits wood, in case you had to.

Years ago, I tried to beat this knife and used it to baton wood. I kept beating on the spine with a piece of 2x4 that ended up getting chewed up (but no damage to the knife) Since then it became one of my favorite.

-

-

-
Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 AM

I think anything the Marines come up with is a mighty good recommendation but at 62 years of age I’m no Marine and don’t have their skill. I’m also too young to die and too old to have a knife fight so I’ll Bring a gun to that knife fight or not attend. If all else fails the longest blade is my best option so a machete if possible.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Good all-rounder - hmm, probably Cold Steel SRK.

This is what I have. Wasn't interested in a fighting knife, but something all around for the woods and light bushcraft.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:01 AM

Attend one of Ed Calderon's Weaponology courses to learn about using edge/point, shankology and the features on a knife that work and don't work. Some brutal but practical stuff, well-worth the money: http://edsmanifesto.com

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
I think I'd want my combat axe close to me. I wouldn't want to be the recipient of either end of it.
Let me see. Is that a Wilson/Daniel Winkler/Jason Knight?

I would carry mine. I like the video where Winkler destroys the car with his knife, axe, and utility tool.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 PM

I'm going to go against the grain and say no, I don't want one as a fighting weapon and won't keep one as such. I will carry a decent fixed blade since it can be a "good enough" eating/cooking took, shovel, log splitter, glass breaker, tire poker, etc. But if I have to knife fight somebody I've already messed up big time.

I have some training in it, but it really seems like you're gonna get cut bad even if you're good. If you need to get rid of something very quietly I'll take my bolt 22 with suppressor and sub sonics or quiet rounds. no louder than someone opening a soda can and certainly good enough to get something going.

if you need to be quietly fighting, you need to run like hell or learn all about night vision and 300 black out.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:33 PM

Multi purpose
Old 04-17-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
Let me see. Is that a Wilson/Daniel Winkler/Jason Knight?

I would carry mine. I like the video where Winkler destroys the car with his knife, axe, and utility tool.
Yes sir, it is. That car in the video didn't stand a chance
Old 04-17-2018, 09:18 PM

It was over pretty quick. The car did not feel much pain.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:11 AM

I'm not a knife fighter

make mine a bolo type machete, please
that way I could plant, dig and peel a tater if I had to AND hack the chit out of anything it comes in contact with

I'm a KISS kinda guy like that

..L.T.A.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
I'm not a knife fighter

make mine a bolo type machete, please
that way I could plant, dig and peel a tater if I had to AND hack the chit out of anything it comes in contact with

I'm a KISS kinda guy like that

..L.T.A.
Yeah. I had a Filipinio Bolo from back in the day. It was made with a truck or jeep spring, caribou handle and brass pommel. You could make a fire, a lean to, harvest banana's, crack a coconut. I've got a cheaper version of it now, but I wish I still had that old Filipino Bolo.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post

Multi purpose
I don't know what SHTF really means, but I know that one of my favorite Battalion Commanders was a Platoon Leader in Vietnam who's Company was over run. He was a huge fan of "standoff" with every weapon, but especially when out of ammo. More than any other unit I was in, we trained fighting with fixed bayonets and E Tools. He made us sharpen one side of our E-Tools. Caused a shxxstorm at CIF.

In defensive positions unit SOP was E-Tool lay extended within easy access. I would rather be armed with an E-Tool, than a knife in an all out fight especially if out numbered. I would always rather carry more ammo than a fighting knife on my belt/kit.

I agree with others and am in the Hatchet / Tomahawk fan club. At times I carried a full steel shank hatchet on my Ruck, I kept it slid behind / under an external pouch... it was not meant to be accessed quickly. Stowed to keep the Ruck streamlined. I used it more as a hammer then a chopper. Most everyone I know carried extra ammo on kit or belt. No big Rambo knives...little knives for cutting - not for fighting.

I really like those Hawks pictured above. Very nice. Mine was very "Old School"... East Wing blue handle.

Last edited by HarryO45; 04-18-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:48 PM

An Estwing blue handle is a great tool. I was chopping tree limbs with one this morning. It is about indestructible.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:56 AM

+1 What KURUSU said (Olá, mais uma vez, meu amigo!)

Many years ago I had a Beckman BK-7 recommended to me. I've used it extensively for many chores over the years and I'm very pleased with its utility, durability, and adaptability. It's probably not OPTIMAL for a knife fight, but it's the first one I'd reach for, if it came down to that.

I bought a bayonet for my M1A, with which I am less familiar as a GP knife, but I'm betting it'd do everything I could reasonably require of it, in any scenario. I also bought a bayonet for my Vz24 Mauser, which is a little bit long for a general purpose knife, but would certainly work in or out of a fight. If your defensive rifle has a bayonet lug, your best first move would likely be to obtain a bayonet that fits it. It is doubtful one will ever NEED to use one on the end of a rifle, but they tend to make pretty satisfactory companion knives for other purposes.

CARPE SCOTCH!
Old 05-13-2018, 05:21 AM

if you are looking for an all purpose do everything knife a good quality K-Bar will serve you well.

You would also be served well by having a good small fixed blade like a Benchmade BushCraft or a Boker Savanna, and then having a small hatchet in your pack.

Having a few different options is a good thing, and you can select from your inventory based on the situation.

Please be aware that there is also a member named Tom R. He and I are two different Site Members.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:14 AM

My combat axe now has a companion...I'd have both..

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 05-13-2018, 09:13 AM

If I had to be in a knife fight, I'd want my Gerber Mark II in my hand.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:47 AM

I've been in one; I wanted my 1911.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 06-30-2018, 09:20 AM

Shtf

1911 and another weapon to take the knife away. : )
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9740.jpg  

Last edited by bshnt2015; 06-30-2018 at 09:26 AM. Reason: bad pic
Old 06-30-2018, 10:08 AM

Many of us own multiple quality knives. Fixed, folding or switch blade. There are big ones, small ones, Bowie’s, ivory handled, Randall’s, dive knives, survival knives but no one mentioned another I always keep in the truck...a sacrificial medium fixed hunting knife. It’s sharp, cheap and I’m willing to damage or destroy it as a tool if needed or leave it behind if necessary. You can pick these things up for under $20 all day long. Sure this is only if I had the opportunity to make the choice. Think tool, not weapon.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:10 AM

I have my old RAT Cutlery Co/ESEE, Rat-5 made by Rowen. My EOTWAWKI blade

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association