TRS Failure to Feed - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 AM

TRS Failure to Feed

I'm certain this has been discussed before however after 650-700 rounds my TRS is still experiencing failures to feed. I went out yesterday and put 50 rounds through it and had 4 FTF. I am using reloads with 230 grain RN plated Berry bullets. I have also shot factory Winchester white box 230 RN loads and it still has the FTF's. I realize that's not a great number of jams however at this point I would not want to use it for CC. I have used all (3) of the magazines that came with my Baer and I still have issues. I'm thinking it may be just an issue with all the magazines and not the pistol itself. I'm going to borrow some Wilson mags and see if that improves things. Any thoughts on the problem other than mags? I have taken it down, cleaned it thoroughly and lubed it liberally.

Thanks much.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:54 AM

Try some better ammo and mags before anything else.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:58 AM

The Wilson mags will likely fix your issue, but I highly recommend the Tripp Cobra mags for ultimate reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 08:10 AM

FTF.

What does it do ? Where is the round when that happen ? Need more info. Pics would help.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:14 AM

I use the Wilson Flat Spring mags and no issues with those
Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 AM

When FTF occurs the slide locks halfway open and you can see the round has tried to feed. Occurs sometime on round 4 in magazine - sometimes on last round no definite pattern.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Do you know how to check the tension of the extractor ? It could be a little too much.

Remove the slide, slide a round under the extractor, there should be a little drag on the case, if it takes too much effort to slide it under the extractor, then I would say that it very likely where your problem is.

There is some info in the gunsmithing section, that is more detail into how to adjust it precisely if you want to know.

Last edited by gunnut606; 03-01-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:27 PM

Things it could be:

-Barrel timing off or wrong barrel link. (Wilson mags fix this every time)
-Too much extractor tension (Use a Wilson mag, it adjusts the extractor for you)
-Extractor hook needs shaping (Everyone in the know uses Wilson magazines for this)
-Barrel Feed Ramp Setback (You guessed it, Wilson mags are the cure)

If your gun doesn't function with the stock magazines, something else is wrong with the gun. It's not the mags...ever. Different mags will only lessen the issue until the gun beats itself into removing the area of interference that's causing the stoppage. (sometimes referred to as break-in)
Old 03-01-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
Things it could be:

-Too much extractor tension (Use a Wilson mag, it adjusts the extractor for you)
-Extractor hook needs shaping (Everyone in the know uses Wilson magazines for this)

If your gun doesn't function with the stock magazines, something else is wrong with the gun. It's not the mags...ever. Different mags will only lessen the issue until the gun beats itself into removing the area of interference that's causing the stoppage. (sometimes referred to as break-in)
You forgot to mention that Wilson mags will give you one hole groups at 75 yards...

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 03-01-2018, 01:57 PM

I thought that was obvious...but only if you do your part.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:38 PM

OP, send your gun back to Baer to fix or better still send it to Alchemy and take the opportunity to make this gun your own.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:34 PM

My Hillsdale made model is COAL sensitive. Get that right and it runs for days.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the replies - I did locate a Wilson magazine and will give it a try.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 PM

My best guess is your extractor is too tight. I always use my Weigand extractor tuning tool for these situations.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Baers are pretty tight, and my personal guess is that your loads are under-powered. The WWB have been all over the map in recent years in the power of the loads, and if your reloads are under mil-spec, they may not be enough to cycle reliably on a tight gun either. Get some mil-surp ammo and see if that helps, and run the rails, barrel hood, and barrel/busing contact area fairly wet with a good lube.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:43 PM

As said, Winchester white box has been low quality lately. Google it. I had a few boxes of 9mms that would ftf in a known reliable Hi power. Also shot a box of WW box 45 230s out of my P2. They felt light. the P2 has many 1000s thru it. The brass trickled out of it landing at my feet. I don't know what your reloads are loaded at. I would buy some American eagle 230grs or up your load a little.

Last edited by BB 4XL; 03-05-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:57 AM

Thanks again for advice - my reloads are on the light side. I'm using 4.9 grains of Bullseye with 230 RN Xtreme or Berry's plated bullets.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:17 AM

Update - have been using a Wilson magazine with some Winchester white box and my reloads - so far no failures to feed after 100 rounds or so. I understand that's not a lot of rounds however encouraged so far.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
Things it could be:

This reads like you are saying quality magazines have no bearing on functional reliability. I get your witty banter about Wilson mags being thrown out as a cure-all, but the pretense that quality mags have no role in functionality is false, so I'm left wondering. Would you care to expound?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:31 PM

Same was happening to me . Polish out the barrel feed ramp ? It fixed mine

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
This reads like you are saying quality magazines have no bearing on functional reliability. I get your witty banter about Wilson mags being thrown out as a cure-all, but the pretense that quality mags have no role in functionality is false, so I'm left wondering. Would you care to expound?
So Baer mags are not quality? His gun doesn’t run on the supplied Baer mags so............

FWIW, the gun should feed with the Baer mags, you have another issue, I agree with @AlchemyCustom.

Last edited by Kadonny; 03-18-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Did this help?
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 03-20-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
So Baer mags are not quality? His gun doesn’t run on the supplied Baer mags so............

FWIW, the gun should feed with the Baer mags, you have another issue, I agree with @AlchemyCustom.
Actually this is the fix with my dan wesson eco. No humor or sarcasm involved. Constant ftf after sending it back, and a 2k break in. I bought a wilson etm mag, not a hiccup. I bought 5 more and after 1k rounds, not one ftf while using the etm's.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgp1911 View Post
Actually this is the fix with my dan wesson eco. No humor or sarcasm involved. Constant ftf after sending it back, and a 2k break in. I bought a wilson etm mag, not a hiccup. I bought 5 more and after 1k rounds, not one ftf while using the etm's.
Think I will give the Wilson mags a go in my Baer 9mm, been fighting the dam thing for years, willing to try pretty much anything. Lately been trying Tripp mags, same result...ftf.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring1911 View Post
Think I will give the Wilson mags a go in my Baer 9mm, been fighting the dam thing for years, willing to try pretty much anything. Lately been trying Tripp mags, same result...ftf.
Good luck, but I bet it does not fix the issue.

There are some crappy mags out there, really. I have a few Brownells that are junk and are unrelialbe. However, when you are talking quality mags like Tripps, McCormicks and Wilsons (and Les Baer mostly), they should feed reliably. If Tripps don't work, I'm going to guess the Wilsons won't either.

Anyway, let us know. I'd love to hear your outcome.