1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 04:49 PM
1911 Aficionado

Of slidestops, links, and lock-up

I was reading about how the difference in diameter between the slidestop pin and its hole in the link is what allows the link to rotate past vertical into lock-up, but not pull the barrel down as it does so.

Looking at the link specs, with a hole diameter of .2045" - .2055", and a pin diameter of .200", I can buy into the theory, if it's true, but the National Match link hole is only .2030" - .2031", and that doesn't appear to be enough wiggle room?

I have a .203" slide stop in a gun; is there a test to see if the link is pulling the barrel down as the link rotates past vertical?
If my .203" pin is in a .2045" link hole, is that OK?

Is the theory at the top of this post complete bunk, and why am I worried about it?
Old 01-01-2018, 05:27 PM

Considering that the slide begins to pull the barrel back before the bullet exits, one must accept the reality. No it isn't bunk, nor a theory, fact.

When in battery the link should not be pulling the barrel down from the high point it past as the link pin hole was directly over the slide stop pin. If this is a fit barrel and the lower lug is riding the slide stop pin then the link can not pull the barrel down as it is resting on the same pin the link is pulling from. With barrel in hand and slide stop pin through the link you should be able to hold the pin against the lower lug stops, and at this point the link will be snug to the bottom of the pin. If not, the link hole will have to be opened up to allow this position. There must be this allowable clearance, or the barrel will be pulled down before the bullet exits. The slide stop pin and corresponding link hole must allow this alignment.

LOG

Old 01-01-2018, 05:56 PM
1911 Aficionado

Thanks.
I knew there had to be a way for the link to pass over center, but hadn't thought it was as . . . simple as the size of the hole in the link.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
...with a hole diameter of .2045" - .2055", and a pin diameter of .200", I can buy into the theory, if it's true, but the National Match link hole is only .2030" - .2031", and that doesn't appear to be enough wiggle room?

I have a .203" slide stop in a gun; is there a test to see if the link is pulling the barrel down as the link rotates past vertical?
If my .203" pin is in a .2045" link hole, is that OK?...
When you start getting into NM tolerances that's when advanced fitting techniques such as those used by the bullseye smiths come into play. KC Crawford and Jerry Keefer have posted on relieving the slide stop pin for link clearance as one way to address that.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Log,

When you say the link may have to be relieved to allow this.....I seem to recall an older post where you mention the bottom of the link hole should never be relieved since this effects link-down timing (or was that another poster)? Any chance you can offer clarification?

Thank you sir!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD5523 View Post
Log,

When you say the link may have to be relieved to allow this.....I seem to recall an older post where you mention the bottom of the link hole should never be relieved since this effects link-down timing (or was that another poster)? Any chance you can offer clarification?

Thank you sir!!

I believe I may have written that, as the point being under most normal circumstances if the bottom of the link must be relieved to allow in battery position, meaning the link is short. Then if that is the case the top side of the hole may not be low enough to help start the barrel's rise and pass off to the lower lug. The top side should be just shy of the lower lug surface when in the battery position so the lower lug is in contact with the pin .

As long as this is understood, then either can be modified to allow this function. The example was about using an oversize slide stop, and a match link which has a smaller hole. A conflict is going to eventually occur.

LOG

Last edited by log man; 01-03-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:24 PM

Thank you LOG!!