Colt Officers FTRTB puzzle - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Colt Officers FTRTB puzzle

I recently acquired an Officers Lightweight ACP, circa 1990, that had not been well cared for. I have done all the obvious "tuning" without metal removal (polished everything, new Wilson trigger, new sear spring, new recoil spring, different magazines), but one problem remains. I thought I had a 3 point jam, until I realized that the FTRTB occurred without a magazine or cartridge in the pistol. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to make me question the reliability. When it occurs, the slide stops about 3/16" from battery, a slight tap on the slide finishes the job. (BTW, no history on the pistol). Is there anything I have missed, or should I just shoot it until the problem goes away?
Old 12-24-2017, 12:04 PM

Things to check...
ejector loose or bent, sticking UP, rubbing on the slide?
upper locking lugs beat-up/peened/rolled edges?
disconnector working smoothly, 'sticky' when pushing it down?
barrel link beat-up, link's hole egg-shaped/enlarged?
witness marks on the slide stop pin from lower lug contact?

Is the disconnector recess in the slide beat-up or peened to the LEFT, and now rubbing on the inside of the ejector?

Does it have the original (loose fitting!) Colt barrel bushing in it, or an aftermarket replacement?
Original stubby little recoil rod still present?
'99 Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP Enhncd, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT Compact Night.45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Kimber Pro Carry 9mm/.38super, Beretta 92C, M&P PC ported .40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 4040PD, S&W 296 44spl, S&W 65-5 3", S&W 625-6 & 629-2 Mtn Guns.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:55 PM

I also think its a lock up problem in the lugs or link system . Is it the right new recoil spring ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Ejector OK
Upperlocking lugs, OK
Disconnector smooth
Barrel link, no visible damage, "perfect" circle
Nothing visible on slide stop pin
Disconnector recess looks uniform, no rubbing on ejector
Barrel bushing origin unknown, but looks original. engagement uniform at 1/8"
Still has stubby recoil rod
Recoil spring from Wolff at 22# (std)

Second test today with new recoil spring. No FTRTB. ?????

I really want this for a carry weapon, so any thoughts to improve reliability would be great
Old 12-24-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcop View Post
Ejector OK
Upperlocking lugs, OK
Disconnector smooth
Barrel link, no visible damage, "perfect" circle
Nothing visible on slide stop pin
Disconnector recess looks uniform, no rubbing on ejector
Barrel bushing origin unknown, but looks original. engagement uniform at 1/8"
Still has stubby recoil rod
Recoil spring from Wolff at 22# (std)

Second test today with new recoil spring. No FTRTB. ?????

I really want this for a carry weapon, so any thoughts to improve reliability would be great
Put a Commander top-end on it.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:11 PM

Take it to the range with 200 rounds of commercial ball and see what happens.

tipoc
Old 12-25-2017, 07:27 AM

Sounds like you answered your question - a new recoil spring solves the problem. These smaller guns are more sensitive to recoil spring fatigue and, if you purchased it with an unknown round count, replacement of all spring might be prudent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2017, 07:44 AM

Only a suggestion, review attached.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-can-reliable/

Last edited by STORM2; 12-25-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Just a tidbit. I own a stainless Officers, new. Those lightweights were for sale at the time I bought mine. They were known as being problematic. The frame is a different material to make it lightweight, even different than the stainless if I can recall. Not recommended for any +p loads etc. they were known to jam right out of the box as well as frame fatigue after usage.

Id respring it first and foremost and polish clean it as much as possible being it sounds like it laid around and rusted and pitted up ?

Those Wilson parts sounds like an overdo on this rig but I think, you might make a nice carry out of it. I had a friend who carried one new out of the box in the mid 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2017, 07:22 PM

I have carried an almost bone stock 1992, misprinted (Officep's) model in bright stainless that has never bobbled. However early on, I did add an after market plug with the hardened tab. That stuff happens when you read about them on the net. Recently added an EGW guide rod and spring setup and I'm thinking about adding their bushing for tighter lock up. It's not a target weapon but it does the job well and it's very reassuring to have a major caliber at the ready in deep cover situations. Once you get it up and running right, it's just regular maintenance herein and you'll enjoy a lifetime of carrying and shooting the little Pony.

Last edited by 45CAL; 12-27-2017 at 08:52 PM.