Ejection issues - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 03:11 PM

Ejection issues

I adjusted my extractor thinking that might be the issue but I have the same issue so now I am looking at the ejector. when pulling back the slide a bullet will lean out of the ejection port but not release . I am getting a lot of stove pipes . Am I correct in thinking an extended ejector might help or am I overlooking something ? This is a Colt gov't model. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my issue . Mark
Old 12-10-2017, 04:47 PM

Is this with dummy rounds? is the ejection port gi or flared?

Sent from a distant planet far far away
Old 12-10-2017, 04:52 PM

What loads are you using and what springs?

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Guy View Post
Is this with dummy rounds? is the ejection port gi or flared?

live rounds and non flared port
Old 12-10-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
What loads are you using and what springs?
230 gr JHP Not sure of the spring rates
Old 12-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Is this a recent issue?

Old 12-10-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Guy View Post
Is this a recent issue?

no, and ongoing issue since I purchased the gun used, I've just started being brave enough to tear into it .

Last edited by snofrog; 12-10-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrog View Post
no, and ongoing issue since I purchased the gun used, I've just started being brave enough to tear into it .
Since you purchased the gun used, I would first install standard springs (16 lb recoil and 23 pound main spring) and see how that works. 230 JHPs should work fine with standard springs. The stove piping leads me to believe that someone may have put in a heavy recoil spring.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 12-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
Since you purchased the gun used, I would first install standard springs (16 lb recoil and 23 pound main spring) and see how that works. 230 JHPs should work fine with standard springs. The stove piping leads me to believe that someone may have put in a heavy recoil spring.
Ok,I will give it a shot but shouldn't I be able to rack it by hand and have a bullet eject regardless ?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
shouldn't I be able to rack it by hand and have a bullet eject regardless ?
Yes and no. Some unmodified guns eject loaded rounds just fine. Others hang up.

The question is where exactly is the loaded round catching? One way to show us is to remove your recoil spring and guide and reassemble the rest of the pistol. Then manually draw back the slide to the hangup location. Lay the pistol on its side in the jammed state, assuming it will "hold" like that, and take a few pictures from different angles so we can judge where the round is catching.

Some will be quick to recommend that you relief cut the front of the ejection port. Lowering the port will probably help, but changing the angle of the ejector nose may be all that you need: Such that the ejector nose is slightly proud at its lowest point by about .02".

An extended ejector may or may not help. It may make the problem worse, depending on if it is stroke length that is lacking, or if the round is simply driven into the lower edge or the front of the port.

You need to separate ejection problems during live fire and unloaded round ejection. The problems may be related, but they may also have different causes.

Last edited by subscriber; 12-10-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscriber View Post

The question is where exactly is the loaded round catching? One way to show us is to remove your recoil spring and guide and reassemble the rest of the pistol. Then manually draw back the slide to the hangup location. Lay the pistol on its side in the jammed state, assuming it will "hold" like that, and take a few pictures from different angles so we can judge where the round is catching.

Some will be quick to recommend that you relief cut the front of the ejection port. Lowering the port will probably help, but changing the angle of the ejector nose may be all that you need: Such that the ejector nose is slightly proud at its lowest point by about .02".

An extended ejector may or may not help. It may make the problem worse, depending on if it is stroke length that is lacking, or if the round is simply driven into the lower edge or the front of the port.
Thank's! I will get a pic Monday night and report back .
Old 12-10-2017, 10:53 PM

Overall loaded length of different factory ammo can affect live ejection. These guys demonstrate that with a few 1911 pistols:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGyPMIh1JPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot_QKm83PFY
Old 12-10-2017, 10:58 PM

One thing you should be aware of is the risk of a live round's primer being struck by the ejector when the bullet jams into the front of the ejection port. This could be scary and embarrassing, but if you cup your hand over the port to catch the ejected round, could cause injury to your hand.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
One thing you should be aware of is the risk of a live round's primer being struck by the ejector when the bullet jams into the front of the ejection port. This could be scary and embarrassing, but if you cup your hand over the port to catch the ejected round, could cause injury to your hand.
Noted , Thank you.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I adjusted my extractor thinking that might be the issue but I have the same issue so now I am looking at the ejector. when pulling back the slide a bullet will lean out of the ejection port but not release . I am getting a lot of stove pipes . Am I correct in thinking an extended ejector might help or am I overlooking something ? This is a Colt gov't model. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my issue . Mark
Might it be your technique? To get rounds to eject manually you have to pull the slide to the rear very quickly, simulating an actual firing reaction. The "bullet will lean" comment made me think you're pulling the slide slowly trying to see how things work.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
?

You need to separate ejection problems during live fire and unloaded round ejection. The problems may be related, but they may also have different causes.[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails
3A5271C1-6212-455D-9202-5762FD72F62F_1513038820015.jpeg   CE007E5B-834F-402A-AAC1-C6035920DB32_1513038862170.jpeg  
Old 12-13-2017, 07:29 AM

Is it hitting the slide or corner of the barrel hood? Sometimes a slight relief on the corner of the barrel hood is needed. And, as others have said, the length and angle of ejector nose may require a bit of tweaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 AM

Thanks snofrog,

Another picture of that jam taken almost directly from the right side would be useful. It is hard to judge if the round is running into the bottom of the ejection port, near the front of the port or not; but that is what it looks like. It does not look like the bullet is being trapped by the front of the ejection port; at least not primarily; based on those pictures.

If I am correct, then lowering the port wall will help; as will angling the ejector nose such that it first contact the case lower down on the ejector.

As ejectors are cheaper than slides, I would modify the ejector first: Filing the ejector so that there is perhaps 0.02" slant to it, top to bottom is what I have in mind. To be clear; the lower edge of the ejector nose should be 0.02" proud of the upper edge along a vertical line. This will fling the case more "up" and less "right"; hopefully clearing the lower edge of the port enough not to hang up.

You could try a slant of 0.01" first and increase it if not enough. If you overdo this slant, case will fly closer to your right shoulder when you shoot the gun. Some may whack you in the face...

Last edited by subscriber; 12-13-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:56 AM

I finally got to the range and went through six mags . It shoots 100% no issues and I can live with results like that . Thanks everyone .
Old 12-25-2017, 04:01 AM

Glad to hear your gun seems to be ejecting......

If you plan to use this as a carry gun, I would run at least 300-500 rounds through the gun, cleaning the gun after every 100 rounds, to make certain the gun is reliable....shooting 50 rounds or less may not be enough "testing."

Also, the length of a 1911 ejector varies by caliber.....the longest ejector is used in Colt 1911 models that have magazines with a spacer in the back....and the length is on average about 1.3" from the end of the nose to the back of the ejector.

In addition, the shape of the front nose of an extended ejector can change the launch angle of the fired brass case, and a properly fitted extractor will often help to improve reliability in a 1911.......see the attached pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Ext Ejector shape.jpg   Extractor tuning.jpg  
Old 12-25-2017, 04:57 PM

I think I would give close inspection to the extractor before considering anything to be wrong with the ejector unless it came loose.
Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum, 7.5"
NRA Member
Old 12-25-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSS123 View Post
I think I would give close inspection to the extractor before considering anything to be wrong with the ejector unless it came loose.
Yes; especially if the case ejection is OK during firing.

The extractor hook may just be hanging on and interfering with the rim of the loaded round because it (perhaps) does not look like the image Rwehavinfunyet posted.