Installed new trigger... weird issue - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 08:55 PM

Installed new trigger... weird issue

I have a stainless colt government model series 80. I installed a new trigger with the 3 holes in it. I shot it on 2 or 3 different days and put probably 50 rounds through it with no issue. Today I was firing it and it shot and than wouldn't shoot. I thought it was a fail to feed but realized the trigger didn't return to its original forward position, so I guess it didnt reset ( not sure on the correct language here). I had to manually push the trigger forward after each shot and it worked. The weird thing is when I dry fired it with an empty clip the trigger worked correctly and slid forward without issue. It only did not when there was live ammo in the magazine. Any ideas here?
Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 PM

If the trigger has an over travel screw. Remove it. Test fire. If the problem is gone, you have the answer. Replace the screw, adjust, loctite blue, and shoot her brains out.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:20 PM

the trigger bow is rubbing the side of the magazine. make sure trigger bow is straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 06:55 AM

Remove the trigger and blacken the bow with Magic marker. Reinstall, remove and look for shiny spots. It will show you where it's hanging up. I would back the OT screw out but do not remove it - if that screw is the only thing stopping the trigger your gun could double, triple or go full. Also check the tension on your sear spring legs. Number your magazines so you know if the problem is one magazine or all of them.

Last edited by drail; 10-09-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:45 AM

I wonder how many folks install a new trigger and set the overtavel screw to a very minimum of overtravel, and then leave the sear and hammer still dragging on each other? The trigger has to have enough overtavel so this doesn't happen.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou View Post
I wonder how many folks install a new trigger and set the overtavel screw to a very minimum of overtravel, and then leave the sear and hammer still dragging on each other? The trigger has to have enough overtavel so this doesn't happen.
Please expand.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 PM

He means that if you cannot press the trigger far enough for the sear nose to clear the half cock notch when the hammer goes over it you will beat the crap out of the sear and the hammer hooks. Possibly even chip it. Too much overtravel (up to a point) is annoying but doesn't hurt anything. Too little overtravel can break things.

Last edited by drail; 10-09-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgia View Post
The weird thing is when I dry fired it with an empty clip the trigger worked correctly and slid forward without issue. It only did not when there was live ammo in the magazine. Any ideas here?
When you dry fire the trigger are you pulling the slide back a little to actuate the the "disconnector" while holding in the trigger? Without doing that you're not duplicating the action like actual firing in order to duplicate the problem.

If you were doing that, fine but most people who practice dry firing only pull back the hammer and press the trigger and that's also fine but the disconnector isn't being actuated to become, as in your case, part of the problem equation.

If your trigger is moving in and out just fine while dry firing with a magazine in place, that at least eliminates trigger bow drag on the magazine as being the problem.

I might suggest you do the dry fire test again but this time "hold in the trigger" and pull the slide back about 1/2". No need to pull it all the way back. The slide coming back 1/2" will actuate the disconnector. Continue to hold the trigger in. Let the slide go forward back forward now. That will allow the disconnector to reset "when you release the trigger". Now, release the trigger and see if it will move back out to reset the disconnector for the next dry fire. Then, let us know if it's the same.
Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum, 7.5"
NRA Member
Old 10-09-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou View Post
Yea, we had a discussion on just that and it is good to know how to set the limit properly and not have any sear/hammer drag.

You also do not want to remove the limit set screw. You do want to set the limit before going out for a test fire.
NRA Member
Old 10-10-2017, 08:48 PM

The magazine may be expanding slightly when loaded causing the bow to drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2017, 02:33 AM

The trigger gets pushed back by the disconrctor spring only via the disconrctor pad. Maby hanging up and spring is weak. Hone the contact points and replace the sear spring. A possibility only.
NRA Member