1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 06:51 PM

A freind of mines father has a 1911, serial number N013398.. can anyone tell me a bit about the pistol?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4461_1507506687276.PNG   IMG_4462_1507506704715.PNG  
Old 10-08-2017, 08:08 PM

Manufacturer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Administrator

It appears to be a 1918-vintage Remington UMC. Not much else I can tell you about it without seeing more pics but the grips are wrong.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Ok guys, I知 looking at a 1911 serial number 894863.. appears to be an Ithaca copy.. any idea of approximate value?? Only pic I have as of yet.. please give me all info you can...
Attached Thumbnails
0AD0A442-2D38-4132-A3C2-2C5B9F3BA39A_1512164388557.png  
Old 12-01-2017, 04:25 PM

894863 is probably an Ithaca contract gun from 1943.
It MIGHT be an Ithaca slide on a Colt receiver, there was some overlap in serial numbers. Inspector's stamps will say which.
Can't guess a dollar value with poor pictures and no more information.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:14 PM

The tag on the gun says it's a Colt. What is the inspector? That will determine the frame manufacturer. (GHD = Colt, FJA = Ithaca (or Remington Rand))
Old 12-01-2017, 06:26 PM

Thanks guys...I知 going to look at it tomorrow I値l give y誕ll more info and pics then
Old 12-01-2017, 07:16 PM

Uh, just curious; Your OP said it belongs to a friends father and you wanted information about it. Obviously, it is in a dealer's showcase and you're interested in purchasing it. If you wanted advice and opinions why the subterfuge?

The great folks and bonafide experts that participate on this forum are honest, open, "straight shooters". There's no need to dissemble here.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - Hunter S. Thompson- .Happy the man and happy he alone, He who can call today his own. He who secure within can say, Tomorrow, do thy worst for I have lived today - John Dryden -
Old 12-01-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post
The tag on the gun says it's a Colt. What is the inspector? That will determine the frame manufacturer. (GHD = Colt, FJA = Ithaca (or Remington Rand))
Common mistake on USGI 1911s as slides have manufacturers name , but frames do not. Normally sold and registered as whatever name is on slide.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Common mistake on USGI 1911s as slides have manufacturers name , but frames do not. Normally sold and registered as whatever name is on slide.
Yep!

Walksoftly... this is the second gun the OP is asking about. Technically should have been a different thread, but it is what it is.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:17 AM

Sorry for the confusion guys.. yes my posts are two different guns.. the latter is the one I知 interested in purchasing at an upcoming auction.. I知 still trying to figure out this sight so I can make more correct posts.. so far, not being computer savy, i find difficult to correctly post.. please forgive my ignorance..
Old 12-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyj View Post
Sorry for the confusion guys.. yes my posts are two different guns.. the latter is the one I’m interested in purchasing at an upcoming auction.. I’m still trying to figure out this sight so I can make more correct posts.. so far, not being computer savy, i find difficult to correctly post.. please forgive my ignorance..
It's allright I think, but the only things we need are good close up pictures, just to have an idea of what we are talking about, preferably taken outside on an overcast day and without artificial flash or directed sun-light.
After that probably we can give you an idea of its originality and perhaps roughly about its value.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post
Yep!

Walksoftly... this is the second gun the OP is asking about. Technically should have been a different thread, but it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyj View Post
Sorry for the confusion guys.. yes my posts are two different guns.. the latter is the one I知 interested in purchasing at an upcoming auction.. I知 still trying to figure out this sight so I can make more correct posts.. so far, not being computer savy, i find difficult to correctly post.. please forgive my ignorance..
YES! Totally my bad. Sorry. I missed both content and context. I've apologized to Rickyj in a PM and tried (unsuccessfully) to delete my post. Sorry to all for my "senior moment".
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - Hunter S. Thompson- .Happy the man and happy he alone, He who can call today his own. He who secure within can say, Tomorrow, do thy worst for I have lived today - John Dryden -
Old 12-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Administrator

The grainy pic is hard to make out, but the rear frame "ears" look like a Colt to me. Or it could be Sasquatch.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 PM

Couple of more pics guys.. any idea of value? Barrel pretty shot out.. inspection stamp is WB.. other wise gun is in good shape
Attached Thumbnails
C40FFBED-1430-4AAD-8B55-4D2D6F4FA2EE_1512688905169.jpeg   70520E00-FC9E-4B7F-B80B-DDE6A428269A_1512689003723.jpeg   701FB7A4-60E5-43AE-A0FB-77E78D21D49A_1512689037322.jpeg  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Administrator

That is a Colt. If the slide and frame are original to each other you'll find the matching serial number on the slide underneath the firing pin stop plate. It's got some wear up front but it looks to be in very good shape otherwise. The barrel may be the original one, in which case you do not want to replace it or else you'll hurt the value. As it stands, assuming the barrel and slide are original it's about a $2500 pistol.