New Colt Competition 9mm problems - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-23-2017, 07:07 PM

New Colt Competition 9mm problems

Was excited to purchase a Stainless Colt Competition in 9mm this morning. The gun shop was having an event and I was able to chat with a Colt rep, who recommended that I use 124gr ammo, and the gun would require a couple hundred rounds to break in.

Brought it home, cleaned, and put 150 rounds through, cleaned again and shot 100 more.

The first 250rds did not go well. I didnt have any 124gr but tried 4 different brands of 115gr.

Fiocci and Blazer brass were the worst. Lots of ejection problems - stovepipes every mag, brass getting caught before ejecting, slide not locking back. Sellier & Bellot fared a little better but still some stovepipes and also experienced light primer strikes with the S&B. Pin wasnt hitting the primer hard enough, failing to set off the rounds. Never had this happen to me with any other gun before, have shot a lot of S&B ammo. 4th ammo fared the best, IMI. Had a stovepipe on first round then no problems. (The last 50 rounds were the S&B again and had more stovepipes). Also i got a lot of brass to the face, bouncing off my glasses.

Not sure where to start with this. Very frustrating.

Will put some more IMI ammo through it tomorrow and see if still have problems. What does everyone shoot through these? Do I need 124gr ammo to make it reliable? Does it sound like this is just normal break-in or do I have bigger problems?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:18 PM

I don't accept the break in mentality. The gun should go bang every time you pull the trigger and completely cycle from the first shot. Breaking in should be just that everything smooths out and seats in. I'm afraid the shooting industry is conditioning us to accept less.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:19 PM

Sorry to hear about your Colt. I just got a Colt Competition a couple of weeks ago and I've shot over 500 rounds through it without a hitch. Mostly blazer brass
Sounds like you have an extractor problem which has been discussed on this forum quit a bit lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017, 07:38 PM

Send it back, no point in shooting it more. A lot of manufacturers seem to be slipping. Frustrating when we spend good money on guns.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:00 PM

Dealt with Colt service once when I lived in CT. The experience was not great.

They replaced a recalled part with one that wasn't the same finish. Clearly the wrong color. Pointed it out upon inspection, and they did replace with the correct part but it took a couple more weeks.

Really don't want to have to deal w/sending it in. Frustrated.

Last edited by pedzola; 09-24-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 PM

Just sold my Competition 9 today. First Colt I've ever had that had problems. Same problems as you....and shooting more won't help. Tried 115, 124 and 147's from three different manufacturers. My smith tried to fix mine three times....NOT. Awsome trigger job, smooth shooting, very accurate but.... My advise would be send it back to Colt.

Edit: Stove pipes were cured but brass to the face remained a problem. Full disclosure to buyer, friend that has shot the gun who thinks he can fix it...

Last edited by Jerryatric3; 09-23-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 PM

How were the stovepipes fixed? Can deal with brass to the face if it is reliable.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:59 PM

See erratic ejections down the page it helped with my Colt combat unit in 9mm.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedzola View Post
How were the stovepipes fixed? Can deal with brass to the face if it is reliable.
My first trip to the range I had multiple stovepipes and brass to the face. VERY disappointed. Had my gunsmith do what he calls a Reliability Package which includes "ramp throat, breech face, chamber, extractor tuning and trigger work". Not sure what fixed it but has been 100% reliable. Also 100% guaranteed bloody forehead from erratic ejection. Back twice to correct that....not. Several threads here with very knowledgeable member input but I gave up on it. Brass to the face takes the fun out of it for me.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:37 PM

Just read the other 2 threads. Ordered a 10lb wilson combat recoil spring and guide. Will see where that gets me. If it doesnt fix the issue I bookmarked the threads with additional suggestions. Maybe its the right time for me to learn some gunsmithing.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:56 PM

I had the same problems as you I bought a blued 9mm competion and couldn’t even get threw a few hundred rounds. So I sent it back to Colt, that was back in June. I have called them a few times and they said it failed the the range test so it had to go back to be reworked. You would think they would have figured these issues out before selling them.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:04 PM

I had similar problems with my 9mm Colt Competition. After much shooting and complaining, I sent it back to Colt. It came back in 5 weeks. The extractor was strong and the ejector looked to be a little shorter. And it worked perfectly. I am glad I did not get rid of it as it has become probably my favorite pistol to shoot. The more I do shoot it, the smaller the groups get. I don't think I am getting better with it, I believe it is just settling in.

Keep it. Send it back to Colt. You will be glad you did.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 09-24-2017, 08:52 AM

I have about 5k through my 9mm Colt Competition that I got a little over a year ago. The Colt has a tighter chamber than any of my other 9mm's and that caused some issues with some ammo I had loaded for a Glock which has a very sloppy chamber. Other than my self induced problems it has been flawless in operation.

It has become one of my favorites for the range.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 AM

Brass to the face is an ejector issue . That should be able to fixed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 11:53 AM

I am going to put some more rounds through it after replacing the recoil spring and see if anything has improved.

If not, will evaluate if there is anything else i can try myself before sending it back to Colt or enlisting professional help.

I want to get this thing working 100%.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I am going to put some more rounds through it after replacing the recoil spring and see if anything has improved.

If not, will evaluate if there is anything else i can try myself before sending it back to Colt or enlisting professional help.

I want to get this thing working 100%.
Contact Dave at Evolution Armory

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your ejection problems. I am the OP for one of the discussions on CC erratic ejection. My 9mm CC is now back at Colt. I am hopeful but not necessarily optimistic that it will be resolved. If Colt doesn't fix it then I will take it to a gunsmith. I think that the idea to get a 10# recoil spring is a good one. Good luck and let us know how the new recoil spring works out.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:25 AM

I have a 9MM Combat Commander (bought new) that had multiple problems out of the box such as FTF, FTE and mags very difficult to insert and release. I lubed everything well and it smoothed out some but not completely. I then replaced springs and followers with Tripp kits and the problems were solved. Many hundreds of rounds since than with 100% reliability. Actually, it may be my best shooter now. As always, YMMV
~Jeff Cooper
Old 09-27-2017, 11:32 AM

Hello pedzola, I like the 9MM 1911s, and have owned several. What you're describing is consistent with a recoil spring/s too strong for the ammo used, or conversely, ammo too lightly loaded for the recoil spring used. A couple of my 5" 9mm 1911s came with 10# recoil springs and functioned perfectly with any ammo used. BTW, ammo that functions perfectly in my 9MM 1911s, even with heavier recoil springs, is the 124 grain NATO by Winchester or IMI. One of my current 9mms has a 14# spring installed, the other a 16#. Both function 100%. You may be able to achieve reliability by shooting more "break in" ammo. But having done that with other Colts in the past, I've found that process to be pretty time consuming, expensive and overall, unrewarding.....ymmv

BTW, a simple thing to try is to leave the slide locked open for a few days. This will help the recoil spring/s take a set, which just might improve or eliminate the issues you're experiencing with your new Colt.

Last edited by Rock185; 09-27-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: BTW
Old 09-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Just read the other 2 threads. Ordered a 10lb wilson combat recoil spring and guide. Will see where that gets me. If it doesnt fix the issue I bookmarked the threads with additional suggestions. Maybe its the right time for me to learn some gunsmithing.
Learning some gunsmithing is a mistake IMHO. I have had many Colt pistols. I never had to return any of them to Colt. However, if I had the problems that you are having, I wouldn't have hesitated for a moment in sending it back to them. I don't mind minor adjustments but I never bought Colt for me to get into the gunsmithing business. I bought a Colt because I expected it to work. Nor would I take it to a gunsmith. If it is under warranty, return it for repair or replacement!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:33 PM

Have had a Colt Competition 1911 9mm for about a year. It has been completely flawless. Very nice looking, well performing gun. Would definitely buy another one.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:33 PM

I think the 9mm in the 1911 platform can be a little fussy sometimes. My Kimber Target II has been flawless but when using some brands of 115gr ammo I have to go down to a 10lb recoil spring. Runs fine in 124gr and +p 115gr with the factory 12lb recoil spring.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
Learning some gunsmithing is a mistake IMHO. ... If it is under warranty, return it for repair or replacement!
I might get there. I would get some satisfaction out of fixing it myself, and I am very impatient and just don't want to deal with returning it.

Just waiting for this new spring to come in is painful! Tracking says it will be here Saturday.

In the meantime I was looking at the other thread w/a picture of a proper extractor - mine was all sorts of messed up apparently. The claw far too long, so much so that the round wont seat against the breech face properly, also the tension much too slack.

Filed the claw down, watched a youtube video about installing and tensioning a new extractor - bent it to tighten it up a bit... seems to be a lot "better" now. Although I am not going to shoot it til my new spring arrives.

What comforts me in experimenting is that 1911 parts are cheap and plentiful... only a $35 mistake if I messed up my extractor...

I'm optimistic that I'm going to throw the new spring in on Saturday and combined with my first ever extractor-smithing it will be running 100%...

If not - I will probably call Evolution Armory before Colt. I just can't wait weeks to get this fixed. (I am in NH, EA is somewhat local - never dealt w/them but in the other thread it seems like the proprietor is well experienced with fixing these issues!).
Old 09-27-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis385 View Post
I don't accept the break in mentality. The gun should go bang every time you pull the trigger and completely cycle from the first shot. Breaking in should be just that everything smooths out and seats in. I'm afraid the shooting industry is conditioning us to accept less.
Exactly.

If a gun needs to be shot 200 times before it starts to perform and function as it is sold to perform, they should shoot it 250 times before it leaves the factory.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:46 AM

It is the extractor and recoil spring.

First off you need to get that spent case out of the pistol with some force. So get a 10 or 11# recoil spring and guide rod.

Second, you need to work on the extractor. The extractor hook is too long and the tip of the hook is touching the brass. The rim of the brass should be touching the inside of the extractor hook. A very little polish and maybe countour of the extractor hook is needed.

Lastly, check the tension of the extractor. There are plenty of how to videos on YouTube to show you.

After you do these adjustments take it to the range. If you are not still satisfied, start to work on your ejector. Remember a little filing goes a long way!!

Good Luck!