USNA Gift Recommendation - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-07-2017, 08:59 AM

USNA Gift Recommendation

I have a brother in law graduating from the US Naval Academy in 2018. (He's going Marine flight...ooh-rah!) I was thinking of getting him a 1911 (and a presentation box). My initial thought was to buy a traditional (e.g no rail, WWII type sights) and possibly used 1911 and then have some aftermarket work done, e.g service, high gloss bluing, etc. Because I plan to do "work" to the 1911, I'm not worried about resale, devaluing, etc. My question is 1) does this sound like a decent plan and 2) what is the "quintessential" or "go-to" manufacturer (Colt, Springfield) / model (M1991A1, Government, etc) for the 1911? I'm not too worried about price, but...
Old 01-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Congratulations on your son's graduation. I suspect he'll be down here in the Pensacola area sometime next summer. Have him bring sunscreen, remind him to don't drink and drive, and if he gets here before Memorial Day, tell him to avoid Pensacola Beach for the holiday.

As a collectable baseline model, I can't think of anything better than a Colt Series 70 http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Series-70
Old 01-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Here my opinion:

1. That is a GREAT gift.

2. Colt is the only brand to consider for a keep-sake like this will be.

3. Buy as expensive a model as you can afford. It must be blued, non-railed, and have "modern" components like beavertail grip safety, "ring" hammer, and 3-hole trigger.

4. Traditional iron sights are fine. No need for adjustable, fiber optic, night sights, or anything else.

Just my opinion.

NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstormvet View Post
I have a brother in law graduating from the US Naval Academy in 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Congratulations on your son's graduation.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-07-2017, 10:01 AM

It's OK...I'm 47 and he's 20. It's like he's my son. For my purpose, is Series 70, Series 80, Gov-Special Combat or any of the others considered more "traditional"? What about length? Is it 5" and no more discussion? This won't be an everyday shooter, carry or range gun. I agree no rail...
Old 01-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Again, IMHO, Series 70 is "traditional". Yes, 5" - no discussion.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-07-2017, 10:09 AM

If only I could read.

Congratulations on your brother in laws graduation.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 AM

What's the (brief) history with the M1991A1? Does it not qualify for "traditional"?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:17 AM

If he's going into Marine Aviation then just get him a couple of 64 count boxes of crayons. He'll be thrilled!

Remind him that P-cola isn't called the mother-in-law of Naval aviation for nothing.

You know what I find ridiculous? People who use the word ridiculous and can't spell it. Alot is NOT A WORD. A lot is the opposite of a little.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
What's the (brief) history with the M1991A1? Does it not qualify for "traditional"?
It has a Series 80 firing pin safety, that a lot of folks don't care for. My Combat Elite has one and it has been trouble free, but it isn't "traditional".

The 1991 also has a long trigger and flat mainspring housing. I don't care for the long trigger, and while the flat housing is OK, the WW II(esq) 1911A1 would have a short trigger and arched housing. Of course if you are going to have lots of stuff changed out, such are adding a beavertail grip safety, etc., a short or long trigger, or arched or flat mainspring housing wouldn't matter much.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibul View Post
If he's going into Marine Aviation then just get him a couple of 64 count boxes of crayons. He'll be thrilled!

Remind him that P-cola isn't called the mother-in-law of Naval aviation for nothing.
Yeah...he'll be a POG, but at least he'll have to go through TBS.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:31 AM

I believe some manufacturers sell Academy Graduation special issue pistols and rifles. You could write to either the Academy or the manfacturers and ask.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmike View Post
I believe some manufacturers sell Academy Graduation special issue pistols and rifles. You could write to either the Academy or the manfacturers and ask.
Thanks! I know USMA does it, but for some reason, not USNA. I'm thinking about a high gloss blue with gold accents and custom grips, either USMC or some kind of exotic hardwood.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I have a brother in law graduating from the US Naval Academy in 2018. (He's going Marine flight...ooh-rah!) I was thinking of getting him a 1911 (and a presentation box). My initial thought was to buy a traditional (e.g no rail, WWII type sights) and possibly used 1911 and then have some aftermarket work done, e.g service, high gloss bluing, etc. Because I plan to do "work" to the 1911, I'm not worried about resale, devaluing, etc. My question is 1) does this sound like a decent plan and 2) what is the "quintessential" or "go-to" manufacturer (Colt, Springfield) / model (M1991A1, Government, etc) for the 1911? I'm not too worried about price, but...
I got this at a good price. My friend is an FFL and he is friends with a guy that has this model. I pick up mine on Monday, if you are interested I may be able to get another one

This one is selling for $2,999, I paid a lot less for mine

================================================== ====
Semper Fi: Colt M45A1 CQBP Marine Pistol Review
by Eric R. Poole | February 25th, 2014 | Photos by Sean Utley
71 Comments
The M45A1 Close Quarters Battle Pistol (CQBP) was decided on July 20, 2012, from three submissions to a 2010 solicitation handed down by Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM). Colt, Springfield Armory and Karl Lippard Designs each offered Leathernecks a replacement for the age-old rebuilt .45s. A variation of the 1911 Rail Gun won and re-upped Colt’s enlistment in the U.S. Marine Corps.

The initial delivery order following the announcement specified 4,036 pistols and spares. However, the contract carries with it an indefinite-delivery and indefinite-quantity clause for up to 12,000 M45A1s, spare parts and logistical support. The value of this contract is said to be worth $22.5 million to Colt. Marine Corps Special Operations Command (MARSOC) and Marine Expeditionary Unit Special Operation Command (MEU[SOC]), as well as members of Force Recon, Special Reaction Teams (SRT) and the Marine Corps pistol team are the expected end users for the first new Colt 1911s added to an armory’s inventory since World War II.

“This is a truly gratifying contract award,” said Gerry Dinkel, president and CEO of Colt Defense. “To have the 1911 selected again for U.S. Forces 101 years after its initial introduction is just an incredible testament to the timeless design and effectiveness of the Colt 1911. Colt Defense looks forward to another great partnership with the Marine Corps as we renew industry production of the military 1911.”

The commercially available Colt Marine Pistol is a tribute to this achievement and comes from the Colt Custom Shop. There, critical parts are precisely mated and test fired for accuracy. Every one of these pistols arrived with an actual test target. Colt sent “Tactical Operator” a sample with a factory test target displaying a five-shot, 15-yard group measuring .85 inch.

Quantities are limited. Like the M45A1 CQBP issued to Marines, the commercial version features the flat, desert-tan-colored Cerakote finish over a stainless steel slide, frame and more. You’ll also notice the underbarrel Picatinny rail; fixed Novak three-dot night sights; flat, serrated mainspring housing with lanyard loop; enhanced hammer to guard against hammer bite; long, solid aluminum trigger; and ambidextrous safety lock. As you inspect the obvious, be sure not to overlook the stainless, five-inch National Match barrel and bushing.

MCB QUANTICO
Marines with military occupational specialty (MOS) 2112 assigned to the Precision Weapons Section (PWS) at Quantico, Virginia, are some of the best gunsmiths in the business. Today, there are about 60 of them. I say “gunsmiths” and not simply “pistolsmiths” because it needs to be made clear that the smallest MOS requires two years of specialized training. There is nothing like this little-known team of highly proficient practitioners in any other American branch of service. These apron-wearing Marines only certify about 10 to 12 former 2111s (small-arm repair technicians) each year. They work on everything from competition-tuned rifles and pistols used by the shooting teams to the legendary M40-series employed by Marine snipers.

In 1985, when the Marine Corps replaced its standard-issue .45-caliber M1911A1 with the 9mm M9, the PWS sorted through 1911s being turned in and started work rebuilding a small number for use as a secondary weapon system preferred by Special Operation units and Recon. Even though the higher-capacity M9 was selected by Uncle Sam, it was quite obvious that Marines still wanted the power from the legendary .45. Initially, PWS sourced serviceable parts stripped from M1911A1s before looking to commercially available parts to fill the gaps. Since 1985, the M45 has been distinguished by a set of Pachmayr grips, a Videki aluminum trigger and an ambidextrous thumb safety. Over the years, a few upgrades appeared, including a few sight variations, Springfield Armory slides, various replacement barrels, magazines, grip safeties, even a few Caspian frames when the demand for the M45 by Marine special operation units exceeded supply.

The Marine Corps System Command issued a formal Request For Proposal (RFP) in March 2010. Though the M45 was more respected for its terminal performance over the M9, these pistols required special maintenance cycles and fitting for reliable operation. The RFP indicated “the pistol’s operating environment is characterized by high usage in training, rough handling and environments on deployments and limited access to repair and maintenance resources during high-tempo operations.” Marines wanted a “semiautomatic pistol in .45 ACP using a single-stack magazine that must hold at least seven rounds.”

The RFP stated that the pistol should function with a seven-round .45-caliber magazine the Marine Corps already had in the supply chain (NSN 1005-01-373-2774). This language in the RFP made it clear what pistol Marines were hoping for.

Colt Defense answered the call with a slightly modified variant of its stainless steel Rail Gun. It already featured a beveled magazine well to improve faster reloads. It satisfied the requirement to readily demonstrate parts interchangeability with no special handwork, tools or degradation of performance. The RFP also noted that the M45A1 CQBP would be a model that was commercially available.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/s...#ixzz4V6eOly4I

Last edited by silvercorvette; 01-07-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:04 PM

I know this is a gun forum, but have you considered a really nice Marine ceremonial sword?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:05 PM

Thanks...I have one too! I tested him on everyday/range gun vs. more of a show piece and he wants the latter.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
I know this is a gun forum, but have you considered a really nice Marine ceremonial sword?
I'll end up having to buy that too...will wait until after he graduates TBS.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks...I have one too! I tested him on everyday/range gun vs. more of a show piece and he wants the latter.
I won't be picking it up till Monday, and it may take a while till the weather gets nice enough to go to the range. I have read good stuff about the gun, What is your opinion of the Colt M455A1?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:53 PM

I vote for a blue Colt Series 70 repro. Classic 1911 with the WWII/A1 features.

The M45A1 is an acquired taste, even for some Marines.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Here my opinion:

1. That is a GREAT gift.

3. Buy as expensive a model as you can afford. It must be blued, non-railed, and have "modern" components like beavertail grip safety, "ring" hammer, and 3-hole trigger.

4. Traditional iron sights are fine. No need for adjustable, fiber optic, night sights, or anything else.

Just my opinion.
Rod drilled it. That will give it sort of a timeless quality.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercorvette View Post
I won't be picking it up till Monday, and it may take a while till the weather gets nice enough to go to the range. I have read good stuff about the gun, What is your opinion of the Colt M455A1?
I love it...great shooter! I have a Colt Gov Special Combat, Ed Brown Special Forces, and Springfield MC Operator (2016) and it performs as well the others. FYI...the Springfield is a great shooter too, for about a grand less. I like it some much I've been thinking about another one in that new, weird bronze color. I paid less than $2000 for mine, but it has the M45A1 roll mark and not the USMC one. Since I'm not a collector and like to shoot it, I think I made the right decision. $2999 is crazy!!!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I love it...great shooter! I have a Colt Gov Special Combat, Ed Brown Special Forces, and Springfield MC Operator (2016) and it performs as well the others. FYI...the Springfield is a great shooter too, for about a grand less. I like it some much I've been thinking about another one in that new, weird bronze color. I paid less than $2000 for mine, but it has the M45A1 roll mark and not the USMC one. Since I'm not a collector and like to shoot it, I think I made the right decision. $2999 is crazy!!!
Mine (when I get it) has the following
stainless steel frame
Desert Sand/Black Cerakote finish
Novak Tritium night sights
Integral Picatinny rail system
Comes in box with Green Pelican case, paperwork, test target and Otis bore cleaning system.

I may be wrong on this but from what I understand they have a less expensive model without the case and extra goodies. In my case the only choices he had were the sand/tan color which I paid $2,100 including tax and FFL, he also had another one that was dark in color which he wanted $2,250 but I liked the cheaper color better.

I though I got a good deal but if you paid less than $2,000 including tax, FFL and the case with cleaning kit you did better then I did.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercorvette View Post
Mine (when I get it) has the following
stainless steel frame
Desert Sand/Black Cerakote finish
Novak Tritium night sights
Integral Picatinny rail system
Comes in box with Green Pelican case, paperwork, test target and Otis bore cleaning system.

I may be wrong on this but from what I understand they have a less expensive model without the case and extra goodies. In my case the only choices he had were the sand/tan color which I paid $2,100 including tax and FFL, he also had another one that was dark in color which he wanted $2,250 but I liked the cheaper color better.

I though I got a good deal but if you paid less than $2,000 including tax, FFL and the case with cleaning kit you did better then I did.
I have the same gun, but without the Pelican case, cleaning kit, etc. I was all-in on that package until the roll-mark changed from USMC to M45A1. I was at, I think, $1999...difference in price is most likely case and cleaning kit...same firearm. You'll love it...solid shooter!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Here my opinion:

1. That is a GREAT gift.

Just my opinion.
I agree with Rod on this and as I was a veteran USAF 1981-85, the above is the way I would want to be gifted as well.

USAF 1981-1985
http://www.thewebcorner.net
Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit.

Last edited by mzanghetti; 01-07-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added some words left off
Old 01-08-2017, 07:34 AM

I also agree with Rod. This is a classic beauty.

I am also partial to ironwood grips.

Please tell him thank you for his service.

Last edited by BillKilgore; 01-08-2017 at 07:37 AM.