1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-19-2020, 11:09 AM

First Aid Kit Questions

To avoid re-opening older threads or hijacking others:

I wasnít in the service or an EMT, and itís been 20 years since my last formal course in first aid. However, I do know the basics and carry a few essentials in my hunting backpack.

Given that, Iím looking for a couple of pre-assembled, general purpose first aid kits to stage in my other vehicles. Not anything elaborate, just something to get us through until the professionals can take over.

Suggestions?

Thanks, James.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:23 AM

The best suggestion I can offer is to spends a couple days getting current, up to date training. The protocols and methodology has changed radically in the last 20+ years....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 04-19-2020, 12:44 PM

I agree with WCcountryboy. Take a WFR course or at least a basic first aid.

I was our unit medic (I am not a combat medic MOS though) kind of funny, all this training, get to the desert and have a meeting with the surgeon who said throw all that out, its all about triage and bleeding now, scoop and go. Its was eye opening. I also had some EMT training.

What I do now is go to the local store, review, read what's in kits, buy it, get it home and then update. I keep my kits basic for go bags. Lots of things inside can be expired and most of not really needed. I used to build mine from scratch but its lots of work and money.

Hunting, shooting opens you up to gun shot or deep knife wounds. Even vehicle accidents and such can have serve bleeding. Ensure you have easy access tourniquet, 2 is better. I have Gen 7. I have quick clot pads. Consider velcro rip off if it is attached to anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2020, 07:17 PM

The cool kids today commonly use the hardware/software analogy on field medicine. Effectively you need knowledge/skill matched to the right equipment to get the best results. Great gear and limited expertise is suboptimal as is converse. The important thing is that you are thinking ahead.

As soon as COVID cools down, take a one hour Stop the Bleed course. We did one as a pilot and I was very impressed (as a former FF/EMT). Great refresher on some basic concepts and then resets you to focus on some modern priorities. Very valuable background for anyone who owns a gun, hunts or target shoots. I was impressed enough to get certified as a trainer.

If you are just looking for a basic but quality kit, I have always felt Adventure Medical kits are a decent price point with decent gear. I don’t use their main first aid kits, but do keep specialized dental and wound closure kits around. Easily found online or in lots of camping stores.

After that, I would probably go to Galls - https://www.galls.com/medical-kits. Galls occasionally has free shipping events that make it easy to pick up supplies at a decent price. Some of their stuff is quality, some less so, but they have most of what you would want.