Warranty Parts from RIA - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Warranty Parts from RIA

Just wondering if any one has any experience getting parts under warranty from RIA. I just filed a warranty request with RIA for a replacement firing pin and was wondering what to expect.
I have no intention of sending the gun to them, all I want is the firing pin, if necesary I'll buy one from Brownells rather than sent the gun in.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:08 PM

I have received one part from them after describing a problem I was experiencing a year or so ago. They wanted me to try it and see if it resolved the problem. It did. If you request a small part such as the firing pin, just be descriptive as to why you feel that will solve the problem.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
I have received one part from them after describing a problem I was experiencing a year or so ago. They wanted me to try it and see if it resolved the problem. It did. If you request a small part such as the firing pin, just be descriptive as to why you feel that will solve the problem.
Thanks, I think I did that so I'll give them a few days and see what I hear.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 PM

I think that's one piece that if I were to replace it, it'd be with forged aftermarket instead of OE MIM.

Bob
Old 05-28-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
and was wondering what to expect.
I'd expect a firing pin to be coming in the mail

..L.T.A.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:24 PM

What happen to the pin?
Old 05-28-2015, 09:54 PM

I had one of the grip screw heads snap off on a new gun. Sent them an email and they shipped new one the next day.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
What happen to the pin?
I suspect it came from the factory bent, it's a minor bend. I had just taken it out to clean the channel and noticed it. I doubt I have 200 rounds throught the gun.
I've had issues with RIA in the past. When tuning a government for the range I have to replace all of the internals to get it right. That is the only 1911 that I've ever had to do that to and I've done probably done 50 of 60 of them but only the on RIA.
I suspect that I will buy a good one, mostly I just wanted to see how RIA handled the request.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 AM

Have you put in the request?
In the past I've sent a photo to Shawn, copying Arnel, and ask for a replacement part.

Small parts they have shipped to me NP.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:03 PM

The request went in before I posted here, of course.
Just waiting to see what happens with it. At any rate I'll be replacing the pin, spring, and fp stop with Ed Brown parts anyway just to give me more confidence in the gun.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:49 PM

I had an amazing ejector break on a new 10 mm RIA. Called then and they mailed me a new one. Unable to remove the broken leg they sent me a return authorization; sent them the gun; a week later I got a new gun in the mail! Great Customer Service.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:57 PM

Never heard back from RIA but ordered and received better quality parts from Brownells and installed them tonight.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
Never heard back from RIA but ordered and received better quality parts from Brownells and installed them tonight.
Though it sickens me to say it, I feel CS just isn't the same since the departure of Ryan Crotty. Or it could be other things taking place that happen to be time coincident with his departure. Hope it changes or I won't be quite the RIA cheerleader I have been in the past.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:56 AM

I had Armscor replace my hammer spring on my 1911A1 due to a few light primer hits.. they answered my emails promptly and I received the new spring in a few days.. I received excellent customer support and I am truly amazed with this "discount" gun..

MB

Last edited by bouchem; 06-05-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: poor grammar!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:27 PM

Have a 2-tone 1911 that is starting to rust on the frame. Gun is still new (purchased Feb 2015) and unfired, its been a safe queen since coming home. Submitted the online warranty request today... We will see how this turns out.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1228 View Post
Have a 2-tone 1911 that is starting to rust on the frame. Gun is still new (purchased Feb 2015) and unfired, its been a safe queen since coming home..
sitting in a safe unfired doesn't mean it won't rust.
what have you done to prevent it from rusting?

have you applied plenty oil or other rust preventer like CorrsionX ??

I'm not at all sure how one could blame the manufacture for lack of proper maintenance/care

..L.T.A.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:07 PM

Some manufacturers don"t warrant "cosmetics" unless it's a serious flaw categorized as a manufacturing defect.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Some manufacturers don"t warrant "cosmetics" unless it's a serious flaw categorized as a manufacturing defect.
if it came from the factory with rust, I figure they'd take care of it..and should.

but Bubba said it's "starting" to rust.
which to me would suggest it's not stored properly for the conditions

..L.T.A.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1228 View Post
Have a 2-tone 1911 that is starting to rust on the frame. Gun is still new (purchased Feb 2015) and unfired, its been a safe queen since coming home. Submitted the online warranty request today... We will see how this turns out.
If the pistol is stored in the plastic case with foam and no other safeguards for moisture, humidity, etc, you might consider ditching the foam. It can/will wick moisture out of thin air; literally. You eventually can end up with your on little pistol case rain forest.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:13 PM

Why not just send it in for warranty repairs and they will do a rebuild and replace all the springs and put it on paper and they will send the target and you get a rebuilt 1911! I'm sending in my tac 1 for tac 2 sights and rebuild 2 week turn around! It's accurate now can't wait to see how much more she will be!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 AM

Just as an update, I didn't hear anything from RIA about the firing pin but after about a week and a half I received a package in the mail with a firing pin. Already had the Ed Brown pin but now I've got a spare if I ever need it.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:21 PM

Good deal.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:24 PM

I have never had an issue with rusting before and none of my other firearms are doing it. I did run it back by the shop I purchased it from on friday. The guys there said it appeared to be a manufacture defect since there was some small pitting where the rust is showing up and that the rust is appearing to come up and out from underneath the finish.

We will see what Armscor says, worse comes to worse I will probably just cerakote.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:45 PM

CS .45 Reverse plug...

I now own several RIA 1911 .45CS pistols... after years of shooting full size 1911's I had never encountered this compact size recoil spring set up...so after disassembling the pistol, I failed to re-install the reverse recoil spring plug correctly. It fired ONE round, and JAMMED!!!! After disassembling (again) and discovering that I was indeed a bone head, I figured "no problem...I'll just order one from Advanced Tactical!!" WRONG!!! They were out of stock. So I contacted them, and the next day they shipped me one (from off the production line, perhaps??) and I had it in the pistol and it was back up and running about three days later!!! You can't ask for much better than THAT. An out of stock part in my hands within the week. And when I received it, I re-checked their website, and it still showed as "out of stock". Now that ain't shabby!!