Anyone have primer feed trouble with 550B? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-23-2006, 08:15 PM

Anyone have primer feed trouble with 550B?

I have a 550B with untold thousands of rounds through it that is starting to have primer issues. When I pull the handle down, sometimes I do not get full extension on the primer bar, so no primer drops into the cup unless I pull it out manually. Other times it does not go forward on the upstroke. This is the newer primer system with the aluminum primer bar sliding back and forth on a blued steel plate, rather than the older style that worked without the plate.

I have cleaned both the steel plate, and the primer bar, but still ad problems. I used a little graphite to lube it and it improved, but it still has trouble about 10 times per 100.
Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you fix it?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:30 PM

Call Dillon! They're tech support is second to none.
Dave
Old 12-23-2006, 09:00 PM

try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick604
I When I pull the handle down, sometimes I do not get full extension on the primer bar, so no primer drops into the cup unless I pull it out manually.
Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you fix it?
Hi,
I had the above problem and tried this: There is a screw that holds a little metal clip/spring on the rear side of the primer mechanism. I loosened mine enough to allow the bar to slide ALL the way back. I never had problems after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Patrick,

I had that very same problem last night while loading 45acp for todays shooting. My 550 is about 14 yrs. old, so I would have thought it would have the "old style" priming system, but it's just like the one you describe.

My first indication of problems was the "flipping" of the primers as the primer bar returned to position. I could tell from the "feel" of seating the primer that something wasn't right. The primer had partially "flipped" and was seated sideways. This happened a couple of more times before I decided to take a closer look to see what was wrong.

Turns out the two screws that hold the primer assy to the frame had become slightly loose and the primer bar was travelling very slightly diagonally, instead of straight. This was limiting the rearward travel so that it didn't easily pick up the new primer, and then not hitting the hole in the shell plate perfectly centered.

Tightened screws, thoroughly cleaned all the "primer dust" from the area and everything worked fine for the last hundred rounds.

If you haven't fixed the problem by now, call Dillon on Tuesday. They're pretty good at troubleshooting their equipment.

Good shooting and Merry Christmas......Rod.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:52 AM

I had the same problem recently. I had just messed the little rod in the priming seating cup by loosening the set screw on the priming bar. I immediately had problems with the primer cup not picking up primers and the priming bar getting stuck back on the upstroke.

If you pull the priming bar out and check the length of the bottom of the priming bar to the top of the primer cup, there is a correct range of length stated in the user manual. I reset the length to within those tolerances and it functioned perfectly.

Just one possibility
Old 12-24-2006, 12:17 PM

I've found that if you over tighten the two bolts holding the primer feed assy to the press it can cause the primer bar to stick. Try backing off the bolts a half turn or so and letting the primer assy float a LITTLE bit.

Between regular cleaning w/ alcohol, a little graphite powder, and freeing up the primer assy my 550primer system runs smoothly about 99.8% of the time.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares45
I've found that if you over tighten the two bolts holding the primer feed assy to the press it can cause the primer bar to stick. Try backing off the bolts a half turn or so and letting the primer assy float a LITTLE bit.

Between regular cleaning w/ alcohol, a little graphite powder, and freeing up the primer assy my 550primer system runs smoothly about 99.8% of the time.
I've been fighting this same problem for over a year; two calls to Dillon, replaced the operating rod, and plastic tip on mag tube to no avail. I have not considered these blots being overtight!! I'll try this.

One thing that helps is to really clean (almost polish) the bottom of the primer bar. And if you don't have a "full" and firm down stroke when pulling the handle the primer bar may not travel completly back to pickup the primer.

BTW on my last call to Dillon I asked about buying the plastic tips for mag tubes and they sent me 5 large and 5 small FREE.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:29 PM

What cleaning media are you using in your tumbler?

I had the same issue after loading thousands and thousands of rounds over many years and suddenly I started having problems like you describe. Took me awhile to figure out. I had finally decided to try corn cob media. Those little bits of it get under the primer bar and cause problems if not cleaned very often, like every 100 rounds. Was not worth it and went back to walnut hulls and problems went away.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:25 PM

Hey, guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I will pull the unit apart tomorrow after work. I will check for corn cob media and debris, will clean polish and lube the bar and sliding plate, and reassemble to a snug but not too tight fit.

Thanks for your ideas.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick604
Hey, guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I will pull the unit apart tomorrow after work. I will check for corn cob media and debris, will clean polish and lube the bar and sliding plate, and reassemble to a snug but not too tight fit.

Thanks for your ideas.
Let us know how it comes out.

I'm having similar probs also...
Old 12-28-2006, 10:27 AM

Use a rotary media seperator and you won't have media on your press. 10-20 turns of the handle and all media is removed. Inexpensive.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herd48
Use a rotary media seperator and you won't have media on your press. 10-20 turns of the handle and all media is removed. Inexpensive.
Dillon Product? What kind do you have?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:52 PM

I own a Cabelas. Frankfort also has one.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:08 PM

There must be something to the corn cob media being the root cause of the primer feed problem. I have started using cannd air to blow out the primer slide area when I notice media starting to collect and it is working (so far).
Old 01-01-2007, 01:05 PM

I also have a 550B that is probably 12-13yrs old with several thousand trouble free rounds through it and I have recently started having the exact same problem. I've reduced the frequency of the problem by routinely disassembling the priming assemby, cleaning and polishing the bottom of the primer feed bar then judiciously lubing the moving parts with spray slicone. Reassemble and just snug up the two bottom attachment bolts, (don't over tighten or you are going to have problems very quickly). Note: this problem didn't start to manifest itself until I opened and started using the newer, brass colored Winchester primers. These brass colored Winchester primers also started to demonstrate a tendency to hesitate in the primer tubes (sticking even with the "follower rod" in place) and they feel like they have some sort of lube or sticky substance on the outer portion of the cup. After cleaning the primer tube and switching over to CCI primers the sticking problem in the primer tube disappeared. Anyone else noticed this condition with the Winchester primers?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper894
I also have a 550B that is probably 12-13yrs old with several thousand trouble free rounds through it and I have recently started having the exact same problem. I've reduced the frequency of the problem by routinely disassembling the priming assemby, cleaning and polishing the bottom of the primer feed bar then judiciously lubing the moving parts with spray slicone. Reassemble and just snug up the two bottom attachment bolts, (don't over tighten or you are going to have problems very quickly). Note: this problem didn't start to manifest itself until I opened and started using the newer, brass colored Winchester primers. These brass colored Winchester primers also started to demonstrate a tendency to hesitate in the primer tubes (sticking even with the "follower rod" in place) and they feel like they have some sort of lube or sticky substance on the outer portion of the cup. After cleaning the primer tube and switching over to CCI primers the sticking problem in the primer tube disappeared. Anyone else noticed this condition with the Winchester primers?
I did not associate the problem with Winchester primers, but I had that very problem a few thousand rounds back. As I recall, I was primarily using WW primers at the time. I solved it finally by removing the primer tube and cleaning with a .22 cal brush and patch. I have gone through at least 1k of CCI primers and another 1-2K of WW primers with no further glitches. Maybe a solvent soaked patch through the tube every 1-2K rounds might be good preventative maintenance.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:30 AM

My brand-new 550B just started doing this yesterday.

I had loaded several hundred rounds with W-W "brass" primers with no issues; I replaced my walnut hull media with corn cob Monday, and yesterday loaded the first cases tumbled in that stuff. So there may be a connection.

I have and use a separator, and haven't noticed any "stray" corn cob present amongst the brass or in/on the tool; but...

I will pull and clean the primer assembly, and go from there. I just set this thing up a few days ago, and have run less than 500 cases through it so far; it should not be be acting up due to residue already.

Great thread...

Old 01-03-2007, 09:10 AM

I was having major primer problems. Flipped, no primer, crushed, you name it. Dillon finally sent me a different bar. This was a hollow based bar vs. the solid one (with chevrons cut in the bottom) that came with my 550. I haven't had a problem since.
Bronson7
Old 01-03-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson7
I was having major primer problems. Flipped, no primer, crushed, you name it. Dillon finally sent me a different bar. This was a hollow based bar vs. the solid one (with chevrons cut in the bottom) that came with my 550. I haven't had a problem since.
Bronson7
Any chance you could post a photo?? Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 11:36 AM

LZ, haven't forgotten you. Give me a mo.
Bronson7
Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 PM

Sorry for the lousy photo. The Macro on this cam sux.
Bronson7
Attached Thumbnails
IMAGE047.JPG  
Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Holy Crap! How old is the "old style"? I've had my first Dillon 550B for a little over 15 yrs (IIRC) and it came with what you're calling the "new style".

Did you reverse the captions?

Rod.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM

I think MaxSteel is behind this entire thread. Just kidding Max. But I couldn't resist.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod
Holy Crap! How old is the "old style"? I've had my first Dillon 550B for a little over 15 yrs (IIRC) and it came with what you're calling the "new style".

Did you reverse the captions?

Rod.
Nope. The Dillon I had about 20 years ago also had a very similar bar to the "new style". The Dillon I currently have (about three years old) came with what I'm showing as the "old style". They sent me the "new style" which looks like the old,old style. Dang, too many styles in this post I don't know what's on the new 550s.
Bronson7

Last edited by Bronson7; 01-05-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Primer feed problems

My primer feed tubes and pickup tubes were sticking. Dillen says discard and replace, but I found if you wet one end of a Q tip in alchole. and leave the other end dry and insert the wet end first tnto the tube and push all the way through the problem goes away. I think the problem is dirt. You have a precision machine that cannot be lubracated. It has to be kept clean. Since I switch constantly between .45 and smaller calsbers. My primer feed mechanism has a tendentsy to get out of adjustment. Care and cleaning are the only answer.

Last edited by Gene 53; 01-05-2007 at 03:24 PM.