Edc otf - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-05-2020, 05:11 PM

Edc otf

Considering a medium sized OTF for daily carry. Carring a Microtech UTX85 now, but would like a shorter handle with a stout blade. Scareb.... or? Some of you guys probably have many OTF choices for carry. What do you continually reach for?

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 04-05-2020, 06:51 PM

I've never had a UTX85 but I know the UTX70 is a smaller version. I do have some OTF's but I don't usually carry them. I like side openers for carry because they just seem a little stronger. I don't know how your 85 sizes up with a Scarab but here's mine next to an Infidel, if that helps. For what it's worth, my Scarab is probably the stoutest of my DA OTF's but there are stronger DA OTF's like the Sand Shark but they're not cheap. Here's the pic...

Old 04-05-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
I do have some OTF's but I don't usually carry them. I like side openers for carry because they just seem a little stronger.
Ditto for me. I prefer a ProTech Godson.

But, I’ve heard nothing but good solid performance reviews for Microtech’s OTF autos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 11:22 AM

For a very long time, I've carried on of my Benchmade or Gerber auto flippers, but for the last six months or so, the EDC has been a Microtech Ultratech OTF.

Excellent engineering, materials, design and workmanship. There's a vid of a field test of this knife on the BladeHQ site, and to say it passed all the tests with flying colors would be an understatement, even hacking away at 3" thick tree limbs.

My next knife purchase will be their UTX-70 for a bit smaller overall platform. These are great knives!
Old 04-06-2020, 02:53 PM

For defense, sure, why not. But my EDC knife sees very few fights!

Normally I'm using it to open boxes, cutting zip ties, lightly prying on things, etc.

I'd be concerned with an OTF becoming wiggly, or worse, from that treatment. I've also never really liked the long handle-to-blade ratio. But that's just me.

So is this supposed to be a work knife too? Never had a QUALITY OTF, just cheapies. How tough are they?
Old 04-06-2020, 11:36 PM

Aside from really doing much prying on things an Ultratech can handle day to day duties. The UTX85 I have is a touch shorter. Actually pretty tough and carries well...sleek. Does everything a folder would do. Not going to try to compare to a quality fixed blade, but pretty tough and sure is convenient.
The UTX70 seems like a perfect length/size just thinking a thicker blade would be nice.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 04-08-2020, 08:30 AM

I have been wanting to grab a UTX-70 Hellhound for some time now, just seem to send my available funds in other directions. But if they ever do a run of UTX-70s, or UTX-85s with a Warhound blade ........No waiting.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:47 PM

Received this for my birthday from my brothers. Assisted flipper by Off-Grid Knives called Rapid Fire 'Coyote'. Pretty solid little piece, with a great blade and flip action...

Click image for larger version

Name:	OGK.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	581604

Regards,
Travis
Old 04-28-2020, 12:35 PM

A Microtech Combat Troodon and the Ultratech.

See ths video that shows how tough the Combat Troodon is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQ4SwzLY4c
Attached Thumbnails
MicroTech OTF.jpg.jpeg  

Last edited by snapshot2017; 04-28-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:30 PM

This has always been the big turn off for me also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I've also never really liked the long handle-to-blade ratio. But that's just me.
Plus I tend to be pretty tough on a knife. Not sure there are many OTF autos that would work for me.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:40 PM

Not as fragile as most folks think.
Watch the video of the guy repeatedly hammering a Microtech Ultratec through a wood plank, spiking it on the pavement, throwing it up into the air so it landed in the street, etc. Abused the hell out of it. I would never even consider doing anything remotely like that to my UTX. Knife worked perfectly even after all that!

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 04-29-2020, 12:16 AM

Awesome! That's one tough knife!
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 04-29-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
Watch the video of the guy repeatedly hammering a Microtech Ultratec through a wood plank, spiking it on the pavement, throwing it up into the air so it landed in the street, etc. Abused the hell out of it. I would never even consider doing anything remotely like that to my UTX. Knife worked perfectly even after all that!
I really love my Microtech Combat Troodon but i would like to make sure people understand, it's a large knife and i don't carry it a lot.

The smaller Microtech Ultratech i own gets carried a lot, i would advise everyone to try them both at a dealer if you can, then decide the one you want.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I don't think I'd try that with my Scarab or my Halo V... LOL
They might hold up but obviously be ruined afterwards and I've always been a little skeptical of professional youtube reviewers. However that guy really beat that knife up. If you want to tear something really nice up check out this guy. Just found him myself and he's actually local to me...

http://www.hawkknifedesigns.com/
Old 04-30-2020, 08:11 AM

This is where i bought my Mirotech knives, he has more of them then anyone i have found.
https://eknives.com/microtech-ultratech/
Old 04-30-2020, 09:56 AM

Another Microtech knife i own is a LUDT it's a Auto side opening knife, and it's also a really tough Microtech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZHz3pslB4
Attached Thumbnails
Microtech LUDT.jpg.jpeg  
Old 05-09-2020, 07:35 AM

Have heard great things about those LUDT's. I really like the size, thick blade and the design. Don't typically think Microtech for side open, but may need to also hold & fire an LUDT. Thanks for the links guys.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 05-09-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Have heard great things about those LUDT's. I really like the size, thick blade and the design. Don't typically think Microtech for side open, but may need to also hold & fire an LUDT. Thanks for the links guys.
They are nice. Good solid blade and well designed. Here's mine...

Old 05-09-2020, 10:00 AM

I haven't found an OTF that I liked. Most of knives are now ProTechs.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot2017 View Post
Another Microtech knife i own is a LUDT it's a Auto side opening knife, and it's also a really tough Microtech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZHz3pslB4
That is almost as good a looking as the Sebenza (the most pleasing to the eye, all metal folder there is imho), love the blade shape and the grip looks like it would stick to your hand...dang, very nice!

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 05-09-2020 at 02:45 PM.