1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 08:41 PM

CDC Safe Social Distance Might Not Be So Safe

FWIW, recognizing that one can only do so much:

CDC's recommended safe social distancing might not be all that safe.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2763852

(JAMA=Journal of the American Medical Association)

Just sharing, so that each of you can be as careful as practical in your circumstances.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 04-04-2020, 09:54 PM

Isolation just slows down the inevitable, and hopefully gives the medical system time to make more beds, gather more supplies, and hopefully develop a vaccine. Isolation is not a cure, it's a delay.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:09 PM

This is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Isolation just slows down the inevitable, and hopefully gives the medical system time to make more beds, gather more supplies, and hopefully develop a vaccine. Isolation is not a cure, it's a delay.
A industrialized society cannot function for any length of time with all individuals isolated from each other. I think that they are just trying to send a message in so many words. That if you do not have to be out and about doing something. Then stay home. And I am inclined to believe that if people really do this. Then perhaps they can get a grip on this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Exactly right.........but I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. Almost certainly the only real option currently.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:08 PM

Yeah, I'm ******d. I'm getting my faced coughed into on a daily basis. After a 12-hour shift I feel like jumping into a boiling vat of bleach.

So its not if I get COVID-19...its when.

Last edited by dsk; 04-06-2020 at 11:03 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 04-04-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Yeah, I'm ******. I'm getting my faced coughed into on a daily basis. After a 12-hour shift I feel like jumping into a boiling vat of bleach.

Sure hope you’re wrong, but suspect you’re right. You are wrong about the boiling bleach though.......room temp bleach will accomplish the same thing😂

Best of luck to you on a serious note though.

Last edited by dsk; 04-06-2020 at 11:03 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 04-04-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
A industrialized society cannot function for any length of time with all individuals isolated from each other. I think that they are just trying to send a message in so many words. That if you do not have to be out and about doing something. Then stay home. And I am inclined to believe that if people really do this. Then perhaps they can get a grip on this thing.
As an absolute flaming extrovert....this is rough on me. I feed off being around folks in a social setting.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:45 PM

When faced with the actual possibility of dying from this stinking virus, I've come to realize that the vast majority of my "trips" to the store and such are not necessary. I'm a single guy, so many of my trips are just to get out of the house. I've decided that one trip to the grocery per week is what I should be doing, as well as eliminating any trip that's not essential. It has been a BIG change, but we humans are adaptable. So I've adapted.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:50 PM

Too many "no win" circumstances for too many of us.

I experienced that type of feeling too many times in my career, too many haunting memories, although for different reasons than a virus.

Best wishes for each of us, and prayers for those so inclined.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 04-05-2020, 01:09 AM

You an extrovert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
As an absolute flaming extrovert....this is rough on me. I feed off being around folks in a social setting.
I never would have guessed.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:54 AM

Yea, saw this report on FOX...Like I keep telling everyone who will listen, wear a mask (N95 or better preferred) and gloves if you will be around people who might have Cooties. Common sense. I have lots of experience dodging seasonal flue since I've been on chemo since 2007...Waiting for the CDC to tell you how to protect yourself (they are always behind the curve), is like waiting for the FBI to tell you what caliber is best for you in self-defense. :-) Unfortunately, it is the nature of bureaucracy.

No 100% guarantees with mask, gloves, etc., but best to stack the deck in your favor.

I was lucky Friday, my friend and neighbor across the street was going food shopping for his family and called me. He took a big list from me. I wanted to give him $50 for his time/figured he could use it for his kids but he wouldn't take it (I'm going to have some Omaha steaks or something delivered to them just to show my gratitude). When someone does a kindness like this at their own personal risk it really brings back confidence in how many really kind and good people there are out there. Let's face it, on a gun-forum, we don't really focus on the "good" out there -LOL.

He is a young guy around 30 so God willing he will be safe, but with 3 kids, I would never want him to do this if he wasn't already going...I'll have to get out there food shopping sooner or later though, but so far I am on a 3 week streak - no food shopping - yea!. Trying to have as much in groceries/and everything else as I can delivered which isn't risk free but lowers risk dramatically!
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-05-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Yeah, I'm ******.

I feel the same way...

Last edited by dsk; 04-06-2020 at 11:04 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 04-05-2020, 07:56 AM

This thing is not going away. Like the common cold and flu it will be with us for ever. Buying time allows for better understanding , better application of medication and a possible vaccine. I have yet to see a side by side comparison of annual flu deaths state by state to add perspective.
I'm in my 60's so am taking precautions but actually am looking at the things I can do not what I can't . I normally travel 10 states so this lock down is a welcome rest. I can work from home so all is good there. I do pray for all those out of work that they may return soon. Look for the opportunities this provides and what ever you do stop paying attention to the news media, the histeria is contagious and depressing.
I'm also laying new floors to keep my mind off the histeria .
God speed to all of you.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:15 AM

Flight Medic stay healthy, best wishes
Old 04-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Old 04-06-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1racefan View Post
When faced with the actual possibility of dying from this stinking virus, I've come to realize that the vast majority of my "trips" to the store and such are not necessary. I'm a single guy, so many of my trips are just to get out of the house. I've decided that one trip to the grocery per week is what I should be doing, as well as eliminating any trip that's not essential. It has been a BIG change, but we humans are adaptable. So I've adapted.
Good for you! Also consider curbside groceries. They do it around here for $5. The Wife ordered two cart fulls for the two of us and we're set for many weeks again. I think collecting two carts of food and bringing it out to our open trunk for $5 is amazing!

Stay smart and you will be successful.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:57 PM

Well if people would follow the rules about distancing and essential travel this would level off quicker.

As most of you know I manage a big box auto parts store . Saturday sales were 2.5 times higher than last year. Talked to a guy who works at a small chain hardware store/building supply. Their store in Indiana did $30k on saturday. Nearly double over the previous year.

Before Saturday I was running about a 10% decline vs last year. Saturday sales put us 18% over.

So much for the govenors stay at home order.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:09 PM
Administrator

The six-foot rule is absolute nonsense. When a person exhales the droplets from their breath hangs in the air for at least a couple of minutes. Outside it disperses quickly, but not inside. If you are inside a building you are going to be breathing the same air that whoever passed by a minute or two ago exhaled. If this virus is truly as contagious as they claim, where simply getting it on your hands or other surfaces is enough to pick it up, then it sounds like it will infect virtually everyone eventually. "Social distancing" and staying at home merely delays the inevitable, unless you're willing to move to Antarctica or an uninhabited Pacific island for a year or two.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The six-foot rule is absolute nonsense. When a person exhales the droplets from their breath hangs in the air for at least a couple of minutes. Outside it disperses quickly, but not inside. If you are inside a building you are going to be breathing the same air that whoever passed by a minute or two ago exhaled. If this virus is truly as contagious as they claim, where simply getting it on your hands or other surfaces is enough to pick it up, then it sounds like it will infect virtually everyone eventually. "Social distancing" and staying at home merely delays the inevitable, unless you're willing to move to Antarctica or an uninhabited Pacific island for a year or two.
A Pacific island sounds nice. I think I still have the grass skirt and coconut bra I wore to the last Jimmy Buffett concert
Old 04-07-2020, 08:16 AM

Use of Masks

The argument over using a mask or not sort of reminds me of the argument about seat belts.

Common sense tells us that using a seat belt is better than not wearing a seat belt in an accident. There's always that one or two that bring up an accident 30 years ago where the guy couldn't get out of the vehicle because of his seat belt.
Actually Harry Chapin died that way in a burning vehicle if I remember correctly.

Here is Missouri we have digital information signs along the interstate and one statistic that amazes me is that among all fatality traffic accidents 67% were not wearing seat belts.

An appropriate mask certainly cannot hurt as long as you follow common sense and correct use of it. I'd rather have one than not.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Well if people would follow the rules about distancing and essential travel this would level off quicker.

As most of you know I manage a big box auto parts store . Saturday sales were 2.5 times higher than last year. Talked to a guy who works at a small chain hardware store/building supply. Their store in Indiana did $30k on saturday. Nearly double over the previous year.

Before Saturday I was running about a 10% decline vs last year. Saturday sales put us 18% over.

So much for the govenors stay at home order.
Human beings do not tolerate isolation, nor do they tolerate idleness, well. People are using the additional free time to do things they may not have gotten are to due to time constraints. They are patronizing available businesses- but at lessor frequency. The not strictly "essential" activity is what will keep the economy alive.

You work for a box auto parts store... strictly "essential"? Not really, certainly not ALL of them in a community.... however, be grateful. As the manager, I'm assuming you're on salary. The "nonessential" business is whats keeping youre wage employees with food on the table.

This event has created an entirely new definition of the word "essential"....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 04-07-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
A Pacific island sounds nice. I think I still have the grass skirt and coconut bra I wore to the last Jimmy Buffett concert
I actually watched the Space Station fly over last night that might be a safe place. They are probably the only human beings that are not affected in some way by this virus.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:34 AM

It boggles my mind that some matches are still being held. You can not SO at social distance, you have to be prepared to yell loudly at times, and time & at club matches tablet & timer get passed abound as squad members share the duties.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post

And so the people survive.

But the industrial society doesn't.

Ought to be interesting times.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:51 PM

I’m glad that this generation wasn’t around when fire was discovered because they’d still be hunkering down in a cave fearing the night.
The moment we are born we are doomed to die. None of us know when. Enjoy life because you don’t know if this second will be your last.