NICS to "temporarily disable" 3/30/2020 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 06:14 PM

NICS to "temporarily disable" 3/30/2020

I got an email from NICS this afternoon. They will be "temporarily disabling" the NICS background check system Monday March 30. No doubt they have been overwhelmed, and they are short staffed. That said you can't buy a gun from a store without passing a NICS background check in most states unless your concealed permit allows to do so.

So no way to do a background check means you can buy a gun but you can't take it with you.

A right denied? Defacto gun control?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:44 PM

This is something POTUS needs to address. Someone needs to start one of those WH petitions they have to answer after 100k signatures (or whatever the number is).

Sure seems like a federal attempt at gun control across 50 States. There are ways to plus up federal staff to avoid short staffing.
NRA Patriot Life Endowment - 11/21/17
Old 03-27-2020, 06:57 PM

This is troubling. Is there any official word on this possibility? Second sources or Links please.

I don't see it called out as "temporarily disabled" here: https://www.nicsezcheckfbi.gov/

How about we just fall back to the constitution as final word...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Administrator

This is exactly what we were warning about back when waiting periods and such were first enacted in 1993. All it takes is for the government ot be unable to process checks and suddenly nobody in this country can legally buy a gun.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:33 PM

They have been having "computer outages" and the like all along.
Just to show you who is boss.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 PM

Pennsylvania has a PICS system which is tied into NICS. I recalled getting notices they would be down periodically for ''system maintenance and upgrades'' , when I was in the business.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
They have been having "computer outages" and the like all along.
Just to show you who is boss.

NICS has had computer issues for ENICS since inception, and the call center has issues from time to time. They have had short interruptions in the past but always came back in service after a prescribed time.

This is something different, no time frame given, just "temporarily".

Given current events that "temporary" time frame sucks.

Well if anything the liberal commies that want to buy a gun now can get a taste of what all their BS legislation throughout the years have cost us.

Reap what ye sow commietards.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
NICS has had computer issues for ENICS since inception, and the call center has issues from time to time. They have had short interruptions in the past but always came back in service after a prescribed time.

This is something different, no time frame given, just "temporarily".

Given current events that "temporary" time frame sucks.

Well if anything the liberal commies that want to buy a gun now can get a taste of what all their BS legislation throughout the years have cost us.

Amazing how often it goes out on weekends during big gun shows.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Maybe they should just buy an assault weapon like an AR-15, everyone knows you can just walk right out of the store with those.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:10 PM

I see nothing on the site in announcements?

https://www.nicsezcheckfbi.gov/

Have a gun coming Monday. Can the Op copy and paste the text body from the email he received please?
COTEP#782
Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring1911 View Post

Maybe they should just buy an assault weapon like an AR-15, everyone knows you can just walk right out of the store with those.
Or just order it over the Internet since those sales are exempt from checks...at least per the gun grabber groups...
Old 03-27-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post

Have a gun coming Monday. Can the Op copy and paste the text body from the email he received please?

Good Afternoon,

Correction to the previous email. beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 28, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process.

Thanks,

The NICS Business Unit
Old 03-27-2020, 09:04 PM

Very bad precedent.

It's really troubling when persons in government roles decide that the Constitution no longer matters... except when they want it to.

The Constitution was not written and enacted as a menu of options.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 03-27-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Good Afternoon,

Correction to the previous email. beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 28, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process.

Thanks,

The NICS Business Unit
Well that will be disruptive for Sunday and does suck. But it’s not like the first post made it sound. Initially it seemed like it was going down 3/30 and they had no idea when it would be back up.
COTEP#782
Old 03-27-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Well that will be disruptive for Sunday and does suck. But it’s not like the first post made it sound. Initially it seemed like it was going down 3/30 and they had no idea when it would be back up.

The important take away from this is that NICS will not accept any checks Monday. This is different from any interruptions in the past.

In the past high NICS call volume has never lead to closing down. In the past high call volume was due to politics or holidays. NICS was always able to add staff, increase hours or have long delays.

Now look at current events. The high call volume is because people that don't have guns - for the most part - are afraid and want to own a gun to protect themselves.

How many states and local authorities are trying to close gun shops? Now NICS is shutting down for a day with demand at the highest level ever.

What would / will happen if this gets worse or rioting starts?

Government over reach is built on tolerance for such actions. The reach gets farther every time also.

I was not trying to spread fear or misinformation. Just pay attention, what might seem to be harmless or sensible now can turn very ugly in short order.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:00 PM

Never let these A-holes get universal background checks passed.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I got an email from NICS this afternoon. They will be "temporarily disabling" the NICS background check system Monday March 30. No doubt they have been overwhelmed, and they are short staffed. That said you can't buy a gun from a store without passing a NICS background check in most states unless your concealed permit allows to do so.

So no way to do a background check means you can buy a gun but you can't take it with you.

A right denied? Defacto gun control?
They still need to approve the sale after x-number of days. It means people in some states can't walk in and walk out with a gun. Hopefully its not much more than a one day delay.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 PM

More B.S., I didn't get any such e-mail. Why do you guys start this B.S.? I did a background this evening, took about 5 minutes, no backup.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:12 PM

All I know is... stay sharp, and keep your powder dry. Blacken your sights. Make sure everything's clean, lubed and ready.

That's what I know. I don't like *any* of this.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 03-28-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
More B.S., I didn't get any such e-mail. Why do you guys start this B.S.? I did a background this evening, took about 5 minutes, no backup.
It isn't Monday yet, genius.

Last edited by TominMO; 03-28-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Not the O.P. but here is the text of the 3 emails they sent out, read em all, you will still be able to buy a gun and dealers will still be able to use echeck as normal, a little temporary change up on the call in process......

#1 Good Afternoon,

As a result of the increased workload and modified staffing schedules due to the COVID-19 protocols, beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 27, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process. This means, when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately, to include delays with a Brady Transfer Date, and not transferred to an FBI Examiner for further review.

If you have any questions please to not respond to this email, instead please email [email protected].

Thanks,
The NICS Business Unit

To have your email removed please click this link. https://forms.fbi.gov/nics-updates-f...e-mail-address

#2 Good Afternoon,

Thanks,
The NICS Business Unit

#3 Good afternoon,

Please be aware that the NICS Contracted Call Center (NCCC) will still be fully operations and accepting background checks this weekend. During the timeframe of 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 28, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 , instead of getting a response of, “please hold for further review” and being transferred to an NICS Examiner, the NCCC representative will provide a delay status and the Brady Transfer Date. Again this is a result of the increased workload and modified staffing schedules due to the COVID-19 protocols and is only temporary.

If you are utilizing E-Check your process will operate as normal.

Thank you and we apologize for any confusion,
NICS Business Relations Team

Mark
Old 03-28-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
It isn't Monday yet, genius.
OK, get back with me Monday, we'll see who the genius is. I actually have an FFL and I actually do NICS checks, don't you think that if an e-mail like that had been sent out I would have gotten it. Some of you guys are worse than a bunch of old women.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:31 AM

@ contender85: Thanks for the clarity provided. Perhaps the OP got these emails too, but misinterpreted them?

@ glider: Your comment was still irrelevant since you bought a gun on Friday, even before this new info about the weekend. No thoughts on why you didn't get the emails.

Last edited by TominMO; 03-28-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 AM

Here is what the word "temporary" can mean:

WW2 temporary barracks still around at Fort Lost in the Woods, MO. In 1983 at Fort Bragg, NC our company used these temporary barracks as our HQ.

Last edited by TominMO; 03-28-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM

So “fake news” it is. I’ll admit, I bit. I’ll be more careful in the future.