So which firearms/ammo makers probably won't survive the shutdown? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 01:41 PM

So which firearms/ammo makers probably won't survive the shutdown?

Colt is probably tops of the list.

Smith and Wesson will probably survive, though I know some people have claimed that the Performance Center cutting back on certain services is related to "money problems" with S&W.

Remington just filed for bankruptcy, so I could see them going away.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:43 PM

nah I think all the major players make it a little more worse for the wear but still in the game
Old 03-27-2020, 01:45 PM

S&W will be fine. Colt is in trouble, like always. Remington will file, and someone will buy them, stream line what is under their banner and move forward. A swath of the budget AR makers may not come through, and one or two higher quality shops that have over expanded may struggling. It will be an interesting year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Large companies will most likely weather this. It's their employees who are suffering as they get laid off and may end up not returning to work after this is all over. I'm more concerned for the small mom n' pop businesses like small gun stores who can't afford to be shut down like this.

I've heard people joke that this whole virus thing is a conspiracy created by Amazon to kill off most of their brick n' mortar competitors. Jokes aside, they're one of the few companies who will actually benefit from this.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:18 PM

No one will go belly-up. Work is still getting done, but at a reduced rate. Money is still flowing into the small ones as orders are taken. Only a week or two to go before everyone gets bored and opens back-up.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-27-2020, 02:30 PM

Hasn't Colt emigrated to the United States YET?!?!
Old 03-27-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Large companies will most likely weather this. It's their employees who are suffering as they get laid off and may end up not returning to work after this is all over. I'm more concerned for the small mom n' pop businesses like small gun stores who can't afford to be shut down like this.

I've heard people joke that this whole virus thing is a conspiracy created by Amazon to kill off most of their brick n' mortar competitors. Jokes aside, they're one of the few companies who will actually benefit from this.
That and WalMart…….no social distancing going on in those parking lots!
Old 03-27-2020, 05:09 PM

I seriously doubt that any gunmakers will go away. There may be some buyouts or merging though. Right now all the guns are selling out as fast as the dealers can process them.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 PM

Whoever was on the cusp anyhow. This will tip them over the edge.

And of course, it ain't just gunmakers. It's freakin' anybody who's business was on the ropes.

This whole thing sucks. I want to make a pinata that looks like the virus then beat the crap out of it.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
This whole thing sucks. I want to make a pinata that looks like the virus then beat the crap out of it.

I'd settle for one that looks like Nancy Pe-LOUSY.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
I'd settle for one that looks like Nancy Pe-LOUSY. :rocck:
Now your talking!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:25 PM

After Trump was elected firearms sales and ammo slowly flatten out from the 8 good years of Obama. We have lost quite a few FFL's the last 3 years those that could not make it are already gone. Now manufactures will be busier for 3 to 6 months replenishing shelves. Remington has a change to add some income with demand on ammo hope they can as the presses were pumping out 9 mm this week and next week 223. This whole COVID19 plus the election this year will keep pressure on demand on guns and ammo.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Whoever was on the cusp anyhow. This will tip them over the edge.

And of course, it ain't just gunmakers. It's freakin' anybody who's business was on the ropes.

Or, we could take a trip to a Chinese market and beat the crap outta the guy that is selling bat, snake and monkey meat at room temperature, that’s 4 days old, that he bought from the research lab! Sub human nasty 🤢
Old 03-28-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Amazon has been slaying brick and mortar business for years now, not just small businesses either. But, they won’t benefit from me until they recover from their backlog, as delivery times have become exceedingly absurd, due to the lack of employees to pull product and fill orders.

I placed a few items in my Amazon cart, went to checkout and the expected delivery date was 10-17MAY. That prompted me to empty my cart and hit the road. I shopped at my local Walmart and Home Depot. Unlike some of the rabid panic stricken customers at the super-market, I was pleased to see everyone in Walmart and Home Depot in control of themselves.

So, this current state of unrest, may in fact urge some folks to shop locally instead of online.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:04 PM

The ammo companies will be sitting pretty for years, not only do they have to replenish the inventory of America but what arrive will be sold out in seconds as people learn from this and restock. Then you have the November election and the hoarding that will precipitate that. My guess is that sell more ammo in the next 6 months than never before in human history.

As for gunmakers, the same. Gun stores aren't packed with line around the blocks because people aren't scared. I bet sales will be brisk for months post-pandemic
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:23 AM

The bottom line is that previously, most of these anti-gunners never saw the need to own a weapon. There was never a tangible threat that came to their neighborhood. There is obviously a fair amount of re-thinking going on by what I am hearing from everyone about “new” gun owners.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:37 AM

I am sure that the anti-gun people in the commie states are crying now. With long waiting periods, gun stores forced to close, NICS checks stopped and so on, they might be regretting their ideological stance. But it will be next to impossible to change the laws they wanted in place.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:06 PM

Allowing people to sue the gun companies is a much bigger threat, people are buying guns like crazy right now. Too bad they shut down the trade pages on FB it is a good time to get off of some extras
Old 04-05-2020, 08:54 AM

Considering Trump declared the firearms industry as an essential business I think they'll do just fine. The gun store I worked for is doing better business than they did last Christmas.

They were cleaned out of ammo and nearly all 9mm pistols and AR15s. They receive inventory daily now but as soon as the truck is unloaded its sold out within hours.

They tell me business is way better then when Obama was in office.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:17 AM

Gun and ammo sales have increased since this started !
Old 04-05-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Blame the Chinese Communist Party for the coronavirus crisis

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2940486001/
“A man's rights rest in three boxes; the ballot box, jury box, and the cartridge box,”– Frederick Douglass
Old 04-05-2020, 09:48 AM

Who cares, survival of the fittest! Too many crap gun mfgs out there now anyway, time to pare down.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:51 AM

If some of these gun and ammo makers fail during a high demand period, they were destined to fail anyway. A telltale sign is when you lose more money by selling more product. How does that even happen besides the greed......oh yeah...
Old 04-05-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
If some of these gun and ammo makers fail during a high demand period, they were destined to fail anyway. A telltale sign is when you lose more money by selling more product.
Ha, ha, no doubt. Might be a case of a crack addict going broke because he’s his biggest customer.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I am sure that the anti-gun people in the commie states are crying now. With long waiting periods, gun stores forced to close, NICS checks stopped and so on, they might be regretting their ideological stance. But it will be next to impossible to change the laws they wanted in place.
That is a good summary.

Amazing how unprepared most folks are out here. We have not changed anything about our routine(retired...so no commute)...most are still in panic mode.

There is still a lot of folks waiting fir the gun stores to re-open to get their purchases. Our DROS process for guns and ammo seems to have gone missing.