Model 70s - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 11:02 PM

Model 70s

How good, in in general and specific terms, are the current Model 70 rifles?

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:42 PM

The newest one I have is over twenty years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by july19 View Post
How good, in in general and specific terms, are the current Model 70 rifles?
But the newer ones that I have checked out belonging to others have kind of been a crap shoot with some being excellent, some not so much. I would not buy one sight unseen.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 PM

I only have one in .308 but it has always been solid and a decent performer, <1/4MOA @300yds.
Attached Thumbnails
Winchester M70.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I only have one in .308 but it has always been solid and a decent performer, <1/4MOA @300yds.
For a factory rifle thatís incredible IMO. Good on you for the lwin!
Distinguished Pistol #388
Old 03-23-2020, 07:19 AM

I have a model 70 classic featherweight chambered in .22-250 that I bought used in the mid 90's to use as a coyote hunting rifle. The rifle was built at the Hartford plant before they moved production to Japan or wherever. I felt that it was a perfect platform for a calling rifle. It would occasionally shoot one inch groups, but if you shot more than five rounds through it the barrel would start heating up and the groups would open up some.
Mechanically the rifle is excellent. It has the same pre 64 action of the original model 70's with the claw extractor. I would not buy a model 70 unless it came with the pre 64 type action. I don't know if they currently make the classic rifles so equipped anymore though. I liked my .22-250 featherweight so much, I bought another chambered in .243 Winchester. The trigger was easily adjustable, and in fact I had to add a bit of pull weight to it when I first bought the rifle. The blued finish on my model 70 is absolutely beautiful along with the wood stock it came with. I long ago retired this rifle to my safe, but it's still beautiful.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:29 AM

I think it is a great rifle. A few years ago i bought one for my son, i have the money to pretty much have bought any factory rifle out there. I looked around at the competition, admittedly I am a little biased towards a M70, having myself seen the wisdom of the Winchester through Jack O'Conner many years ago. I value a claw extractor and a bolt mounted three position safety. Featherweight is a beautiful rifle. Hard to beat the history of the M70. Mine have all been very accurate and always reliable. It still is the Rifleman's Rifle.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:10 PM

I bought my first M70 in '68, in .300WM, in retrospect it was a less than stellar rifle.
It had push-feed, and that stamped/impressed checkering on mediocre wood was nothing to write home about.
I never could get it to shoot all that great,, it was probably just one of those "slipped-thru-the-cracks" rifles.
The late '90s stainless/synthetic stock M70 in .375H&H was a tack driver, the twist rate was faster than the Browning Safari, and it easily shot MOA with good handloads,, it loved the heavier bullets.
I wouldn't be afraid of the new/newer M70s, the ones I've looked at appear to be well made, and use controlled-feed like the pre-64s,, and with better wood.
People rave an gush over the pre-'64s,, and they were ok in the smaller calibers, but the stock design and lack of weight made them miserable for use in the more powerful calibers.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:13 PM

The M70 is the Rifle Man's Rifle!
Old 03-23-2020, 07:17 PM

Coyote, Hartford is (was) Colt- New Haven was Winchester. Not that it really matters, but my entire state has forgotten that part of history so I figured I'd mention it. If you're in the area ever, the OLD Colt armory is still there and is a sight to behold. The new one is in West Hartford and is kind of a dump.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:22 PM

Coyotebuster, I believe, if I’m reading their website correctly, they do make pre-64 actioned rifles - they just cost a little more. It may be time to sell a pistol.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.