I think you guys might want to see this... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-07-2020, 11:02 PM
Administrator

I think you guys might want to see this...

Today was wheelgun day at the range. I took a .357 Rossi, a .44 Magnum Smith, and a .45LC Uberti Schofield. I badly wanted to shoot the .44 as I'd just bought it, so I ran a bunch of .44 Specials then some full-house magnum loads through it. Having finished that I moved to the Schofield, for which I had an old box of FMJ to use up. The first round seemed pitifully weak compared to the .44, the second hit really low on the target, and shots three, four and five sounded even weaker. I ejected the shell cases and happened to look into the barrel and..... no daylight!

Here is the Schofield after getting back home:

Looks normal, you say? Look again:

So I went out into the garage and tried to knock out the bullet. It wouldn't budge. I tried a wood dowel and simply broke it. I then tried an aluminum rod, and bent it. What the hell??? So I went into town and got a steel rod, and came back home and started wailing on it. Finally I removed the obstruction, er... <gulp!> obstructions.

Yup, I had three bullets jammed in there! The ammo was a locally-made box of ammo I'd bought years ago from a shop that's long since gone out of business. I haven't pulled any bullets from the rest of the ammo yet, but I suspect there's little to no powder in them. Bullet #1 wasn't even singed at its base, so the primer must have pushed it into the barrel. #2 and 3 had powder burns, but evidently there was very little in the way of a powder charge because I didn't even realize something was wrong other than all the rounds seemed weak. Unfortunately however they were just strong enough to put a slight bulge in the barrel, which is hard to see unless you run a brush down the bore in which case you can feel it.

So why did I make this mistake, aside from using crappy ammo? Well, I was just shooting full-house .44 Magnum loads, so by switching to a mild-recoiling .45 Colt I didn't immediately pick up on the fact that it was a little TOO mild. It's probably a really good idea to start with the smaller calibers and work your way up, not down. That way a weak load will be easier to sense.

Anyway, I now have a revolver needing expensive repairs, but at least I'm thankful that I didn't end the day with my face even uglier than it already is.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:11 PM

DSK you are lucky that barrel didn't kaboom on you.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:51 PM

Scary! Glad it wasn't worse for you.
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2020, 11:53 PM
Banned

this is NOT an instance of "failure to spot by using powerful calibers first"

ITs an instance of DUMBASS with a gun who isn't smart enough to COUNT HOLES.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:00 AM

I've used reloads prepared by someone else three times that I can recall. Two different commercial reloading entities, and another type reloaded by an acquaintance. One, .44 Mag loaded super light, another, .38 Super, loaded way too hot, the third, .38 Spcl., left a squib in the barrel. Thankfully no damage done to my guns. In another situation, one of the officer's I worked with suffered a Glock "KaBoom" one night during training, using ammo the Dept. bought from a commercial reloading company. Afterwards, another ammo company attempted to get a Dept. contract to supply remanufactured training ammo. During testing, that ammo ruined the barrel in a Dept. owned pistol, then they didn't make good on assurances they would replace the barrel. Probably not the best way to secure a Dept. purchase contract

FWIW, I just don't shoot ammo reloaded by anyone but me.

Last edited by Rock185; 03-08-2020 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:02 AM

Reminds me of the time a buddy offered to let me shoot his Model 94 in .357. So I went into the range shop & bought a bag of .38 reloads. But I could not get a single shot on paper!

What the heck?

Adjusted sights & still nothing. Turns out that the bullets were landing on the ground before getting to the target!

I literally could have gotten more range & power with a Wrist Rocket type slingshot.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:03 AM

Pocketshaver--------- DSK is not a dumbass.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:07 AM

I kinda know how you feel--last weekend I was shooting my S&W 52. I had one string where the hammer just clicked on firing--no pop, no smoke, no movement of the slide.

I racked the slide and an empty case popped out--no soot blackening, no powder residue, no smoke. I thought I might have loaded an empty by mistake (the 52 will chamber .38 empties from the magazine) so I reloaded and continued to shoot, no problems noted.

When I got home and started cleaning it I found that the bore was ringed about an inch in front of the chamber! I was absolutely sick because 52 barrels haven't been made in decades. I figure that the "empty" casing I ejected was actually a squib and the following round blew it out of the barrel.

The thing is, I fired at least a full box of factory WC through the gun after the squib and I didn't notice any problems with cycling or grouping--the gun shot fine. I think I can still shoot this gun as long as I use HBWCs, but any value in the gun as a collectible just went down the toilet.

I'll try it out at the range again asap, if it still works ok I guess I have a definite "shooter grade" target gun.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I too am not a dumbass. I like to think I can learn from my mistakes.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post

It must be awesome to be perfect and make judgement on others behind the curtain of safety the Internet provides. Would you call DSK a dumbass to his face?

I make mistakes all the time. DSK brought his mistake to our attention in hopes that none of us would do the same.

Of course being a perfect Internet troll this does not apply to you.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:25 AM

Regardless of Mag man being a brown noser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
You are kind of punching above your weight here pockets.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:24 AM

WOW, real glad to see and hear this wasn't any worse. Man, did you get lucky.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:

I for one am just glad people share so that everybody might learn and have a better chance to prevent a fatal mistake. I can easily see where I could have easily made the same mistake.

I think it's good to share the proper method for avoiding the mistake. However I really wish you wouldn't attempt to public shame and possibly discourage others from sharing information that might just do that.

In the military we often called these types of things lessons learned. I like to think and I am pretty confident in doing so prevented others from making the same mistakes.

If your perfect I understand your frustration most of the rest of us are not however so please if you care to comment please feel free to point out the proper thing to do just try real hard to do so without the other crap.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:34 AM

Thanks for sharing - glad you are OK and the gun didn't kaboom...in that order - 'stuff' happens, it takes some fortitude to share the experience with the internet.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by RandyP; 03-08-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:38 AM

First - we are all glad you are unharmed. And thank you for bringing to our attention the extreme importance of paying careful attention to what we are doing. That could have been a real disaster. If something doesn't feel or sound right stop and figure out why and NEVER TRUST anyone else's reloads. Finally, dsk is NOT a dumbass. THAT is a beautiful revolver by the way.

Last edited by drail; 03-08-2020 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:41 AM

Now theres something you dont see every day....Yikes!....x3. That could’ve been ugly. Glad to hear it wasn’t.

Last edited by Plantar5; 03-08-2020 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:55 AM

Giving abusive comment to OP for honesty and sharing? Expect better from forum member.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Donít be a Richard.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:11 AM

Make your own handgun squib rod.....

I do not care for wood or aluminum squib rods, so years ago I made my own.
I used a long 7" blade thin steel screw driver. I cut the tip with a Dremel metal cutting wheel, to have a flat and round tip. I got lucky, and the screw driver allowed a fired brass .22 empty case to fit snug over the tip. I then took black electrical tape and wrapped the steel blade completely, like a baseball bat handle. This squib rod will work with 9mm and larger bullet obstructions..... When the brass .22 case gets beat up, I simply use another one...Ö I have never damaged the bore of any of my guns when needed to clear a bullet obstruction, and let others use it at the range if they need to clear a barrel. Fortunately, I have not needed to use a squib rod very often, but it is always in my range bag just in case.....
Old 03-08-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I do not care for wood or aluminum squib rods, so years ago I made my own.
I used a long 7" blade thin steel screw driver. I cut the tip with a Dremel metal cutting wheel, to have a flat and round tip. I got lucky, and the screw driver allowed a fired brass .22 empty case to fit snug over the tip. I then took black electrical tape and wrapped the steel blade completely, like a baseball bat handle. This squib rod will work with 9mm and larger bullet obstructions..... When the brass .22 case gets beat up, I simply use another one...… I have never damaged the bore of any of my guns when needed to clear a bullet obstruction, and let others use it at the range if they need to clear a barrel. Fortunately, I have not needed to use a squib rod very often, but it is always in my range bag just in case.....
Have you or one of your friends had the unfortunate opportunity to clear a factory load by any chance? I ask because someone earlier mentioned reloads, but I have to imagine it not impossible to occur with factory loads as well.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:45 AM

The only reloads I trust are mine.
I generally stick with only name brand factory ammo.
Federal, Winchester, etc.

I don't buy foriegn made ammo with the exception of Magtech, which has proven over the years to be as good or better than the american companies.

The money saved by buying somebody's Gun Show reloads isn't worth the cost of the gun and more importantly your safety.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:46 AM

Thanks to the OP for being courageous enough to share. We all have made mistakes but not all of us are willing to admit it. Posts like this bring awareness and reflection. I was just talking to my daughter last week about the possibility that I could make a reloading mistake so we discussed the “pop and no kick” scenario and what to do if it happens.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Pretty lame comment. I mostly shoot pistols at 25 meters and I canít see the holes at that distance (and I donít know anyone who can). I am not bringing back the target after every single shot, so I fire five and then I can count holes. In fact this morning I shot a 5 string and had 8 holes. Had a word with the guy shooting next to me.

DSK, glad you are not hurt indeed.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:23 AM

Wow, as others stated, glad you're ok. The Uberti Schofield ls a pretty gun, but they should be able to fix it. Thankfully its not an original Schofield.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:44 AM

Wow! That was a really close call. You can count your blessings and maybe go out and buy a lottery ticket in case you are still lucky.