Asian-Americans Terrified of Coronavirus Backlash Stock Up on Guns - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-06-2020, 03:28 PM

Asian-Americans Terrified of Coronavirus Backlash Stock Up on Guns

Anyhow... that's the story according to this news source. There have been a some attacks on people of Asian descent by idiots who think Asians are spreading the virus. So some Asian Americans are allegedly stocking up on firearms for self-defense.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/asian-...ock-up-on-guns
Quote:
“People are panicking because they don’t feel secure,” said David Liu, who is Chinese American and owns Arcadia Firearm and Safety, which is just east of Los Angeles. “They worry about a riot or maybe that people will start to target the Chinese.”
Old 03-06-2020, 03:36 PM

I really hope those fears don't play out. We don't need more divisions in our country!
Old 03-06-2020, 03:47 PM

I’m sure that is the real reason...

It’s more like a good excuse for the men to buy guns and not have the dragon ladies cracking down on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 04:03 PM

Good for them for buying guns...I doubt there will be any amount of blaming Asian-Amer in this country outside the normal type of ignorant and stupid moron who is found in any society, and of any race, in small #s.

The entire story sounds kinda fanciful that there is some sort of significant threat to Asian-A's. I'm open to revise my view if there is some overall % statistic they can report (apologies if it is in there and I missed it, but an anecdote or two doesn't qualify).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-06-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I’m sure that is the real reason...

It’s more like a good excuse for the men to buy guns and not have the dragon ladies cracking down on them.
This x1000, this is exactly what it is. Asain guys of all varieties love any excuse to buy more weapons, I would know lol!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 03-06-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Good for them for buying guns...I doubt there will be any amount of blaming Asian-Amer in this country outside the normal type of ignorant and stupid moron who is found in any society, and of any race, in small #s.

The entire story sounds kinda fanciful that there is some sort of significant threat to Asian-A's. I'm open to revise my view if there is some overall % statistic they can report (apologies if it is in there and I missed it, but an anecdote or two doesn't qualify).
No Not good!!! We have a lot of asian college students that frequent the local range to "play guns". It is bad when the range has signs in chinese saying NO SELFIES.

Some do take basic hand gun courses but most don't. Very scary. Glad I only go there a few times a year.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:25 PM

President Trump will sort this all out as
he does most everything and all will be
well. He protects our guns and would
never turn on us since his word is his
bond.

And Scubadad, thank you for keeping
us on even keel as you do on a daily
basis.

Last edited by UncleEd; 03-06-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
No Not good!!! We have a lot of asian college students that frequent the local range to "play guns". It is bad when the range has signs in chinese saying NO SELFIES.

Some do take basic hand gun courses but most don't. Very scary. Glad I only go there a few times a year.
Hum, I hear you, but that isn't an Asian thing per se, we have plenty of whites doing stupid at walk in ranges not to mention a suicide or two from time to time...Stupid is race-agnostic. This is exactly why I don't go to walk in ranges anymore, I pay $350 a year to shoot at an outdoor club. More serious and safty minded clientel.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-06-2020, 08:40 PM

Glad that they are buying guns and ammo, but sad concerning the reason.

To think that Asian Americans are responsible for COVID-19 is almost as stupid as thinking that Corona Beer is the reason.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:28 PM

I don't blame them at all. Our country has a unsavory past when it comes to Asians.

Asian workers (mostly Chinese) were considered disposable during the railroad expansion era. Including assigning the most dangerous tasks to them, especially the ones involving explosives. There are (anecdotal) stories of money being saved by the use of shorter fuses than white workers would agree to.

In 1871 500 attackers raided Chinatown in LA, killing 20 Chinese.

Then in 1882 the Chinese Exclusion Act was signed to ban immigration of Chinese workers.

And, of course, Japanese US Citizens were interned during WW2, most losing all they owned, while Germans & Italians were not.

Then in the (later) LA riots, Korean businesses were specifically targeted due in part to long-standing grudges against Asian storekeepers in Black neighborhoods. Only the armed Koreans were safe.

Yeah, I think these gun-buyers have the right idea.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
As The Los Angeles Times has reported, since the first novel coronavirus outbreaks in the United States, Asian Americans have experienced intensifying venom, including bullying, racist comments, and harassment.
I have to call bullcrap on that whole article. I can buy that Asian people might fear a backlash, but I highly doubt any have been attacked, bullied, harassed, or made racist comments to. I could see a small child doing something like that to a classmate, but adults are smarter than that.

This article is nothing but fear mongering.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 03-06-2020, 10:19 PM

If anything I believe that the men are using it for an excuse to buy guns. Not just Asians either.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:20 PM

What ? You don’t remember the LA riots after the two officers were acquitted for beating Rodney King ?
Korea town and other Asian districts were almost burnt to the ground. Asian Americans had to resort to roof top para pits to guard their business/homes since most were Mom & Pop independent small businesses.

Typical American knee jerk reaction, blame the Asian.

This time they will be prepared rather than be caught with their pants down again.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:20 PM

As an Asian American, I need to buy more guns to support the economy.

Buy your Kimbers tune 'em up if needed.... quit reading all the bull****...
Old 03-06-2020, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Funny thing, but I walked into one of my favorite gun shops today, and the walls and cases were half empty. All the shotguns were gone. I asked them if the coronavirus was causing people to buy up guns, and they said yes. Just then a young Asian lady came in to pick up a Glock 19 she'd done the paperwork on. I didn't click with the reason until I came back to work and read this thread. Sadly people of Asian heritage everywhere are being singled out over this virus thing, and a lot have been harassed and even assaulted.

I just hope that Asian lady knows how to shoot.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:38 PM

There was an incident on the subway where a man, apparently concerned about CV, confronted an Asian man for being "too close" The creep then sprayed him with Febreeze, this is assumed to be a lame attempt at "disinfecting" the dude.

Look, I don't think there is going to be a large & widespread backlash against Asians, but YES, there WILL be plenty of dumb**s stuff like this done by individual morons.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:44 PM

All I can say is that to every law abiding citizen in this country.

You need to avail yourself of all of your God given rights. It is not only a civic responsibility, but a responsibility as old as time. That being to make sure that you can keep you and yours safe from all would be oppressors by whatever means available.

This whole hyphenated American thing is bogus in the extreme. We can not and will not let those who would divide us prevail in this ill conceived effort to do so. To divide and conquer is a time proven tactic. We are smarter than this.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Maybe a lot more Asian-Americans will become Second Amendment supporters after this finally blows over. I only wish it didn't have to happen this way.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:56 PM

Agreed. Black, White, Muslim, Gay, Hispanic, Religious, or not. All citizens should enjoy the same rights.

And the 1A, although crucial, cannot be guaranteed without the 2A to back it up. None of our rights are truly safe if we the people have no physical power.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
There was an incident on the subway where a man, apparently concerned about CV, confronted an Asian man for being "too close" The creep then sprayed him with Febreeze, this is assumed to be a lame attempt at "disinfecting" the dude.

Look, I don't think there is going to be a large & widespread backlash against Asians, but YES, there WILL be plenty of dumb**s stuff like this done by individual morons.
There have been several attacks actually, the first one was last month in California where a 16 year old kid of Asian descent was attacked.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...g-coronavirus/

Then in Britain where they have no rights to defend themselves, another Asian was also attacked.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/asian-...t-coronavirus/
Old 03-06-2020, 11:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
Glad that they are buying guns and ammo, but sad concerning the reason.

To think that Asian Americans are responsible for COVID-19 is almost as stupid as thinking that Corona Beer is the reason.
Guess you haven't heard about the south Korean government hunting down the leaders of a death cult in south korea who have had members spreading corona virus all over the region
Old 03-07-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangelhim View Post
As an Asian American, I need to buy more guns to support the economy.
I’m with you.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Agreed. Black, White, Muslim, Gay, Hispanic, Religious, or not. All citizens should enjoy the same rights.

And the 1A, although crucial, cannot be guaranteed without the 2A to back it up. None of our rights are truly safe if we the people have no physical power.
This is the problem ( not picking on you magman) we are black, white, muslim asian. Why can't we just be people without the labels? Why can't we be americans with out the - whatever? Be proud of your heritage thats cool but if you live here and enjoy the freedoms them just be an american. Maybe if we stop labeling ourselves and others we can all get along.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:37 AM

There was supposedly an uptick in gun buying by Asians when that rap song came out about doing home invasions on Chinese families as they "don't believe in banks".

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...chinese-hoods/

Gun stores in California are reporting Asians buying more guns recently, so I guess there is another uptick occurring.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:38 AM
Administrator

I had this conversation with our Davidson's rep Thursday .
He has an acct in Houston located in an Asian community . Usually a low volume dealer ordering 1-2 times a month tops . Now has ordered as often as 3 times in a single day .

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .