A one of a kind Raymond Thorpe Bowie showed up today. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 10:59 AM

A one of a kind Raymond Thorpe Bowie showed up today.

The reason that I know that it is one of a kind is. When I ordered it Michael Randall called me. He wanted me to know that the Ivorite handle that I ordered it with would make the knife heavier. Additionally he informed me that nobody had ever ordered a Raymond Thorpe with an Ivorite handle.

Now it is possible that another one has been ordered as such, since I ordered this one about five years ago. But at least for a little while, this is the only one in existence.

The lugged hilt and the crow's beak butt cap are also special ordered features. So I am guessing that this will be a fairly unique Randall for some time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0044.jpg   IMG_0045.jpg  

Last edited by USMM guy; 02-04-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:26 PM

Wow. Beautiful knife! That's pretty cool that Michael Randall called you. I have 8 Randalls and love them. I was just at AG Russells last weekend and I'll bet they had 10 Randalls there for sale. One of them was a Raymond Thorpe Bowie with Ivorite handles, which is why I wanted to reply...

LOL. Just kidding. They did have 10 Randalls there for sale, but nothing as big and as impressive as your knife. Congrats. Would love to see a photo of your Randalls.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:43 PM

We can oblige you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Wow. Beautiful knife! That's pretty cool that Michael Randall called you. I have 8 Randalls and love them. I was just at AG Russells last weekend and I'll bet they had 10 Randalls there for sale. One of them was a Raymond Thorpe Bowie with Ivorite handles, which is why I wanted to reply...

LOL. Just kidding. They did have 10 Randalls there for sale, but nothing as big and as impressive as your knife. Congrats. Would love to see a photo of your Randalls.
We have a few of them. Actually backups for some of them.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02401.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2020, 01:14 PM

Beautiful knife! I've never owned a Randall but will get one some day. I don't know if you watch Forged in Fire but JW Randall represented the USA in an international competition and won. It was Season 4 Episode 19 if interested. I was pretty impressed with his work.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:35 PM

I recieved a model 2 8" recently that is not in the above photos.

I am pretty pumped about it. It also has a specially ordered feature in this case being a lugged hilt which is not standard for the model #2.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02562.JPG  
Old 02-04-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
We have a few of them. Actually backups for some of them.
Great photo. Amongst that beautiful group I think I see a model 1 and a model 14, but with the big guards/lugged hilts. I've read the instructional posts and tried posting photos on the 1911 Forum and never was able to make it happen. At any rate, I've got two model 1s, a model 2, three model 14s, a model 17, and a model 25.
They're all different, with different handles, different grinds, and different butt-caps. I waited on Randall's list for some, bought one used, and bought the rest through AG Russell.
BTW, my model 2 looks similar to yours, but is a 7" and has the standard handle.

Last edited by bradsvette; 02-04-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
Beautiful knife! I've never owned a Randall but will get one some day. I don't know if you watch Forged in Fire but JW Randall represented the USA in an international competition and won. It was Season 4 Episode 19 if interested. I was pretty impressed with his work.
Huevos, thanks for the tip. I watch Forged in Fire almost every week. Burt Foster was on an episode and of course won. His knives are mega-bucks. BTW, AG Russell has Randalls, all for less than a new Colt 1911.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:35 PM

The one that looks like a model 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Great photo. Amongst that beautiful group I think I see a model 1 and a model 14, but with the big guards/lugged hilts. I've read the instructional posts and tried posting photos on the 1911 Forum and never was able to make it happen. At any rate, I've got two model 1s, a model 2, three model 14s, a model 17, and a model 25.
They're all different, with different handles, different grinds, and different butt-caps. I waited on Randall's list for some, bought one used, and bought the rest through AG Russell.
BTW, my model 2 looks similar to yours, but is a 7" and has the standard handle.
It is actually a 9" Sportsman's Bowie with a model 14 grind. They sell it as a non cataloged model. My model one actually just has the standard curved hilt, no special order options on that one. I also have picked up a model 24 guardian that is my current carry knife. A handy size and quite useful despite being double edged. Like my Raymond Thorpes. I actually have two of the model 24 guardians as well. I ordered a second one for a niece and subsequently discovered that carrying it could get her in trouble where she lives. So I gave her a different one. I am actually considering selling my second model 24. It has a Maroon handle unlike the black handle on the model 24 that I am currently carrying.

Now the Smithsonian Bowie, what a beast! It definitely gets the comments. Not really all that practical. But Cool to have just because.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02459.JPG   DSC02336.JPG  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:58 PM

Beautiful. I think I have a Little Bear Bowie up next. I order a Randall every year so the pipeline is always full and that way I get one every year. And usually I forget what is up next untill I get the letter requesting final payment.

I don't have any ivorite handles. I might have to fix that.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:39 PM

One a year would have been the sensible way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Beautiful. I think I have a Little Bear Bowie up next. I order a Randall every year so the pipeline is always full and that way I get one every year. And usually I forget what is up next untill I get the letter requesting final payment.

I don't have any ivorite handles. I might have to fix that.
I just ordered one about every three months until I had all of the ones that I wanted to have, ordered. Now they are piling up on me. I have three or four more of them in the pipeline. I think that should hold me.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:13 PM

That model 24 is the one I've been eyeballing. Your collection is outstanding.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:41 PM

I've said it before. I paid about $100 extra for a Super Rush Order directly from Randall, had my #1 in less than an hour.

-------------- Okay, NOT from Randall----------bought her from a local Randall Collector! It was in unused & flawless condition, as most are.

I called him, we met up, done. Phooey this waiting stuff.

------Great looking knife there, USMM Guy. Well done. And to have a Randall call you is a sweet bonus!
Old 02-04-2020, 07:51 PM

I hear you loud and clear on the waiting thing Mag man.

But I haven't exactly been on pins and needles waiting for these things to show up at any rate. Actually of late, and thanks to my thinking that I am going to be clever and just order a bunch of them up front. It is more like every few months I am thinking OMG here comes another one. Although getting custom features is kind of nice.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I just ordered one about every three months until I had all of the ones that I wanted to have, ordered. Now they are piling up on me. I have three or four more of them in the pipeline. I think that should hold me.
That's awesome!!!! LOL!!!!
Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 AM

Nothing like having a "We've never done that on this model before." Randall. Nice bit of steel there.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-05-2020, 12:01 PM

Classy looking blade Skipper, downright gorgeous.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:52 PM

Sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings

Mr. Randall was incorrect, perhaps because the use of this particular handle material occurred so long ago.

Yes, I ordered a Raymond Thorpe Bowie just about 32 years ago to add to my Randall collection. As you can see, it was ordered with an Ivorite handle. The knife arrived in about 18 months as I recall. Times were different.

In any event, you have excellent taste in knives. When the knife was delivered the handle had a very light cream color but it has taken on a pronounced yellow patina over the years, just like real ivory. This is a display piece, never stored in its sheath, never used, never sharpened. I'm sure you will enjoy yours in the years to come.

Last edited by ope135; 02-05-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:37 PM

How about that!

I guess that we both have good taste in knives. I see that you opted for the lugged hilt as well. Interesting about your letter though. It appears that you ordered yours with a "scolloped brass butt cap" it does not show in the picture. Is it actually on there?

So now that I know that I do not have the one and only Raymond Thorpe Bowie with an Ivorite grip. I guess that this means I should just go ahead and end it all and jump off of a cliff.

Last edited by USMM guy; 02-05-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope135 View Post
Mr. Randall was incorrect, perhaps because the use of this particular handle material occurred so long ago.

Yes, I ordered a Raymond Thorpe Bowie just about 32 years ago to add to my Randall collection. As you can see, it was ordered with an Ivorite handle. The knife arrived in about 18 months as I recall. Times were different.

In any event, you have excellent taste in knives. When the knife was delivered the handle had a very light cream color but it has taken on a pronounced yellow patina over the years, just like real ivory. This is a display piece, never stored in its sheath, never used, never sharpened. I'm sure you will enjoy yours in the years to come.
I started buying Randall's in 2002. I've kept the correspondence from all of them. My first was a 5" Model 3. Not sure what it cost. I'll have to look that up.

Last edited by TRSOtto; 02-05-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:59 PM

I have my invoices also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I started buying Randall's in 2002. I've kept the correspondence from all of them. My first was a 5" Model 3. Not sure what it cost. I'll have to look that up.
A whole binder of them. My first Randall, it was/is a Raymond Thorpe also. I got it in 2000. It was right at 500$. This latest one, with the special ordered features with postage came to 777$
Old 02-06-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I guess that this means I should just go ahead and end it all and jump off of a cliff.
If USMM Guy decides to launch himself off a cliff, I call 1st dibs on his 2nd of a kind Raymond Thorpe Bowie w/ivorite handle.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:18 PM

USMM guy - For Pete's sake, don't jump off a cliff! We're now both members of a very exclusive club - the Ivorite handled, Raymond Thorpe Bowie Club. And, yes, there is a scalloped brass butt cap. I'll take some better pictures to show it.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
The reason that I know that it is one of a kind is. When I ordered it Michael Randall called me. He wanted me to know that the Ivorite handle that I ordered it with would make the knife heavier. Additionally he informed me that nobody had ever ordered a Raymond Thorpe with an Ivorite handle.

Now it is possible that another one has been ordered as such, since I ordered this one about five years ago. But at least for a little while, this is the only one in existence.

The lugged hilt and the crow's beak butt cap are also special ordered features. So I am guessing that this will be a fairly unique Randall for some time.
I got to look into getting me one of these beautiful knives.Thanks for sharing yours.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:06 PM

Now that you mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope135 View Post
USMM guy - For Pete's sake, don't jump off a cliff! We're now both members of a very exclusive club - the Ivorite handled, Raymond Thorpe Bowie Club. And, yes, there is a scalloped brass butt cap. I'll take some better pictures to show it.
The butt cap on my first Raymond Thorpe does not show up well in the pictures either. I might still have to throw myself off of a cliff though. Being the SOLE owner of an Ivorite handled Raymond Thorpe Bowie was supposed to be my ticket to immortality.
Attached Thumbnails
1911sNblades 007.JPG  
Old 02-06-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
The butt cap on my first Raymond Thorpe does not show up well in the pictures either. I might still have to throw myself off of a cliff though. Being the SOLE owner of an Ivorite handled Raymond Thorpe Bowie was supposed to be my ticket to immortality.
You guys are starting to sound like the old Highlander. There can be only one!

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW