Colt Thumb Safety - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-30-2020, 10:24 PM

Colt Thumb Safety

Is Colt making the 38 Super style thumb safety anymore? I hear some people call it the tear drop safety but I don't know if that's correct. This one...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2084126910

It's marked as discontinued everywhere I have found so far. I think I want to change 2 of my Colts over to these but I can't find them in blued.

Alex
Old 01-30-2020, 11:05 PM
Administrator

That is Colt's standard thumb safety as used on all of their mil-spec models and calibers. Colt is perpetually out of stock on most of their small parts but they pop up on eBay all the time.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:26 PM

I know you'd probably rather have a genuine Colt part, but Fusion Firearms offers a pretty decent version of the basic thumb safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2020, 03:02 AM

I ordered one from Brownells- it was backordered and took 18 months to get.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:01 PM

Unless there's a super duper special reason to use Colt parts, I'd go aftermarket.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:00 PM

What do the numbered stamps on the back mean? I understand blued or parkerized or stainless.

Also what does checkered or serrated mean?

I have apparently always had GI style? thumb safeties like the Wiley Clapp pistols and didn't know the difference. I started with a 1965 LW Commander in the late '70s and it had a custom safety. So I have only seen a few of these mil spec pieces as strange as that may sound.

Alex
Old 01-31-2020, 06:43 PM

Harrison Design retro thumb safety is a great option.
I like a GI TS and this Harrison is kind of like a cross between a tear drop and GI.
https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/retro-thumb-safety

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 01-31-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Harrison Design retro thumb safety is a great option.
I like a GI TS and this Harrison is kind of like a cross between a tear drop and GI.
https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/retro-thumb-safety
I like that, but question... Is it easy to knock it up into the locked position if your hand moves while shooting? My kids have been doing this with my extended ambi, hence the reason I want a change.

Alex
Old 01-31-2020, 07:21 PM

Place the thumb on top of the safety. Placing it under the safety is going to give you stoppages when firing rapidly.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:35 PM

Hi TTA1326, send me a pm with your mailing info and I will send you one no charge. It came off a 2014 Colt series 70. I sent the gun to E.A. for custom work that I got back a few weeks ago and need to post some pic's of. Its like new and never been used.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:44 PM

If it’s a must have, order the SS one and have it coated.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTA1326 View Post
I like that, but question... Is it easy to knock it up into the locked position if your hand moves while shooting? My kids have been doing this with my extended ambi, hence the reason I want a change.

Alex
Iíve never incidentally engaged the safety on a 1911 and I donít ride the safety.
I have this safety on two nighthawk 1911s, no issues.
I also have many Colts with similar TS. Not a fan of extended thumb safeties,
Good luck.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 01-31-2020, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Place the thumb on top of the safety. Placing it under the safety is going to give you stoppages when firing rapidly.
Not with a true GI safety with the small tab for a shelf. I never liked the teardrop safety as much as I do the GI one.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 PM

I'm with dsk on this - the original "tab" safety on the M1911 models is my favorite. To me, the safety is the pistol's "on/off switch" - not a platform for my thumb. I've had all kinds and sizes - but the tab is never in the way. And if you safety is properly fitted (firmly snicks on and off with the safety plunger doing it's job) you won't accidently knock it on OR off.... CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 02-01-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
I'm with dsk on this - the original "tab" safety on the M1911 models is my favorite. To me, the safety is the pistol's "on/off switch" - not a platform for my thumb. I've had all kinds and sizes - but the tab is never in the way. And if you safety is properly fitted (firmly snicks on and off with the safety plunger doing it's job) you won't accidently knock it on OR off.... CC
Yep, there is a reason why Wiley Clapp (Colt WC models) and Clint Smith (Nighthawk Thunder Ranch model) have GI thumb safeties, because it works and itís out of the way.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 02-01-2020, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Funny how we tend to go full circle with some things. When extended safeties first became a thing everyone took off and threw away their GI safety levers. Then the extended ones got larger and longer by the year, to the point where they eventually became like huge wings on each side of the pistol. Guys were putting them on their carry guns because, well, if the IPSC guys were running them on their race guns then they must have known what was best. Now it seems some common sense has returned and folks now realize that you actually do not want big massive safety levers that are easily flipped on or off by mistake.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:19 PM

I tried the extended thumb safeties as well, and gravitated back to the small tab.

With practice it's just as fast and it's always out of the way, won't be bumped on/off by accident.

I think the small tab is more finicky to fit right (with the just-right "snick" on and off) as you are working with less leverage.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:41 PM

I have put the GI Colt thumb safety on several of my 1911's. They work for me and more solid.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:25 AM

I think a GI safety is fine for a GI pistol, beyond that, itís a poor choice for me personally, as an extended safety is much easier for me to use.

I get the minimalist (everything you need, nothing that you donít) thought pattern, but I think a GI safety looks weird on a 1911 with a beaver tail and checkered front strap. The GI specíd safety on the Wiley Clapp pistols, makes me scratch my head. I suppose we all have our vision of what looks good, but, depending on the application, functionality should be a priority.

Aesthetics aside, I just couldnít adjust to the GI safety on my Wiley Clapp, which by the way is HUGE problem, because when I do occasionally carry it on my hip, thereís been a few instances when my thumb doesnít positively engage the tiny nub. Therefore, the GI safety had to go, pronto. I ultimately replaced it with a Wilson #6BNBP, it gave me a perfect combination of performance and aesthetics. It looks at home on a Commander, not too big, not too small, itís a perfect solution for me.
Attached Thumbnails
5D456349-449C-4755-BEAB-197F9B15AD63.jpeg   0973AEED-5FA4-46B9-8822-2F00B03F8E50.jpeg  
Old 02-13-2020, 10:08 AM

I put a Wilson retro nub on a recent NH build, I like it

You can click on the picture to enlarge it

Click image for larger version

Name:	0911191155b.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	574674
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Les Baer Stinger, Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 02-13-2020, 01:24 PM

I know the ambi thumb safeties like Colt was using on some pistols in the early 2000s were an issue as the ambi safety on the 2006 XSE LW Commander in 45ACP on top below. Even some holsters would flip it off. I noticed they changed it as on the 2009 XSE LW Commander in 38 Super in the middle. On the bottom is a 2015 XSE LW Commander in 9mm which has a righty only safety.

I am very happy with the thumb safety on my Colt/Talo Clapp Commander and have not changed it.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:56 PM

FWIW, I have been using the small tab GI safety for many years now. It really is all one needs. I have filed Colt teardrop safeties down into the GI small tab design. I have always hated the teardrop safety. I only mentioned keeping your thumb on top in reference to the vast majority of owners who DON'T have the small GI safety. I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone at the range with an original GI safety.

Last edited by drail; 02-13-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:00 PM

I don't care for the huge wide thumb safeties much as well as some of the others. And one can knock the thumb safety on in a string of fire with the low thumb shooting grip. Shot the 1911 for years with a not large extended safety then one day felt the thumb safety engage.

Long story short, I discovered I like the GI thumb safety. I narrow broad extended safe paddles and move the rear of the paddle forward to, or very near, the GI paddle position. If I start with the tear drop Gov't Model type thumb safety, I move the rear of that paddle forward as well.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
I put a Wilson retro nub on a recent NH build, I like it

You can click on the picture to enlarge it

Attachment 574674
First of all that is a good looking gun. I was wondering how you would compare the WC retro safety to the WW2 GI safety ? Is it the same size or is it a little wider (Height wise) then the GI ? The profile looks like a GI. I ask because the actual 1911A1 GI safety is just alittle too narrow for me as a CCW and my Colt has the tear drop and it is too big. I can't draw from IWB carry and get 100% disengagement with a GI safety I need just alittle bit more sticking out but I do like the short pad.

Now the the Harrison retro looks like a nice middle ground I just don't care for the profile. I would hate to have to spend $75 for the Harrison and then have modify to look more like a GI. It actually just looks like a chopped down tear drop.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:14 PM

IF it is the safety linked to earlier in the thread the paddle is lowered as well.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.