Virus outbreak - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 06:15 AM

It is disgusting that our politicians over the years have made us so vulnerable to China in so many way. There is a lot of bad stuff they can do to us if we ever had a war with them, even a limited war.

I have to try to find out if my chemo pills come from there, it is called Imbruvica and also goes by the name of Ibrutinib.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-26-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Alot can and will happen in the next 12-18 months, which is the timeframe for any kind of vaccine, regardless of its effectiveness. Exposure can be in the neighborhood of 40%.
The economic impact can also bring things to a screeching halt as evidenced by the last 2 days in the DOW. POTUS was right AGAIN 3-4 years ago by saying we’re too dependent on China for things. Just another reason he needs to be re elected, ALONG WITH GETTING CONGRESS BACK AND HOLDING THE SENATE, but now the liberals are in typical fashion, claiming Trump isnt handling Co19 properly...
These sort of medical threats always turn out to be a buying opportunity. Can't say when the best time to buy, but the low prices will not last because the slow in economic activity is restarted quickly once the panic subsides. (The markets sold off also because they had a humongous run up to now, and it was just "waiting" for a reason to go down).

I am glad this happened now rather than later this year so it doesn't impact the Election. 3-6 months from now, in all likelihood, things will be normalized in the markets.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-26-2020, 07:26 AM

Calming the Nerves :-)

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
·
20m

I will be having a News Conference at the White House, on this subject, today at 6:00 P.M. CDC representatives, and others, will be there. Thank you!
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-26-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 07:26 AM

So far the main outbreaks(known outbreaks) appear to be China, South Korea, Iran, and Italy. Isolated cases are popping up all over the place. Unfortunately, we have no idea how "isolated" these cases are, since many of them are in countries that don't report.
A Korean Airlines flight attendent has just been diagnosed with it after flying to Los Angeles and spending some time there.

https://abc7.com/health/korean-air-a...virus/5968126/
Old 02-26-2020, 07:28 AM

And he knows the game and calls these animals out!

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) &
@CNN
are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!
@CDCgov
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-26-2020, 06:36 PM

POTUS had a great news conference. Amazing command of the issue which has such a large scope. Did a great job with the Q&A too and handling the questions from what has to be the most over paid profession of idiots on the planet - the national media.

I was happy too that he compared it, like we did above, to the regular flue so as to put it in perspective.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-26-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

@CNN
are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!
@CDCgov

The President needs to come out and say that anyone who uses Coronavirus situation to further agendas by stoking public fear for financial or political gain will be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

Copied from another forum:
To keep things in perspective....

Influenza (the flu virus) has already killed 10,000 Americans this season. At least 19 million have been infected and of those, an estimated 180,000 were sick enough that they were hospitalized. The CDC predictions are that there are will be at least 12,000 deaths in the US in any given year from the flu. In the 2017-2018 flu season, 45 million were infected and 61,000 died.

Covid-19 appears to be more highly infectious because of the potentially long time that a person can be infectious before they show symptoms. But I think in the western world, it will still come in second place to the flu.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:41 PM

I have decided not t get into a panic over the WUFLU.
98% suffer no real problems.
The panic and MSM hype is defiantly aimed at Trump.
Life has been very good here and they need something to bring him down because they can't.
The news of voluntary 2 week quarantines is worrisome at the least.
Who can do it?
Many must work.
Stay tuned.
Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe
S&W Model 19
Old 02-26-2020, 07:59 PM

Meanwhile there are a bunch of talking heads on the radio right now.

They are crying about how he is "gaming the system" by putting conservative judges on the federal bench. I guess that if you do not do what they want, then you are "gaming the system."

Maybe the Ninth circuit court of appeals that they are all up in arms about. Will hand down some rulings that will finally give the good people of the golden state some relief.

About time after that endless love fest that they have had over there since Jimmy Carter got to dump that whole load of ten justices onto the ninth circuit back in the day. And heck that was back when they were still making the good acid!

And Flu is flu!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

@CNN
@CDCgov
What they are doing should be against the law.

They will be held accountable for the constant lying on Judgement Day and no amount of money or lying will help them.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:41 PM

I just got my Dad out of the hospital due to a bout with pneumonia. He's 87 so is at risk. He's also getting frailer as he ages.

The ER Doc that saw him the other night told me it was good he'd tested negative for everything but the pneumonia as we'd caught it early.

Two nights in the hospital with Respiratory Therapy and IV Antibiotics and he's in much better shape.

As I talked with the Doc, he commented my Dad had talked about us making a trip to Texas to see my sister.

I told him that was cancelled and that maybe we'd try it later in the year if all the "Bugs" had abated making travel safer for us and especially for my Dad. I also commented that right now nobody could pay me enough money to get on an airplane or cruise ship.

The Doc stated that locally there are nine really nasty bugs that've been hospitalizing patients and that he though it was prudent we were cancelling our trip and that he'd stay off airplanes and off cruise ships as well because in his opinion, they were petri dishes of disease.

My wife laughed as that's exactly what I've been stating.

Personally, I think we're going to exercise caution and prudence when being around possible infection sources for at least the next few months until we see how this plays out.

The pantry will stay well stocked, I'll maintain the supplies we have which means if we stretch it, we can probably go better than a year without needing to venture out.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:20 AM

Good that you note cruise ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
I just got my Dad out of the hospital due to a bout with pneumonia. He's 87 so is at risk. He's also getting frailer as he ages.

The ER Doc that saw him the other night told me it was good he'd tested negative for everything but the pneumonia as we'd caught it early.

Two nights in the hospital with Respiratory Therapy and IV Antibiotics and he's in much better shape.

As I talked with the Doc, he commented my Dad had talked about us making a trip to Texas to see my sister.

I told him that was cancelled and that maybe we'd try it later in the year if all the "Bugs" had abated making travel safer for us and especially for my Dad. I also commented that right now nobody could pay me enough money to get on an airplane or cruise ship.

The Doc stated that locally there are nine really nasty bugs that've been hospitalizing patients and that he though it was prudent we were cancelling our trip and that he'd stay off airplanes and off cruise ships as well because in his opinion, they were petri dishes of disease.

My wife laughed as that's exactly what I've been stating.

Personally, I think we're going to exercise caution and prudence when being around possible infection sources for at least the next few months until we see how this plays out.

The pantry will stay well stocked, I'll maintain the supplies we have which means if we stretch it, we can probably go better than a year without needing to venture out.
Speaking as a lifelong professional mariner. Going from second bottle washer to master of an oceangoing state of the art (American flagged) large tonnage ship (industrial ABS cable layer). Cruise ships in general are very unsafe. They were that way long before this virus reared it's head. There are a number of reasons why there are currently zero passenger ships engaged in ocean service that fly the American flag.

And certainly self reliance is key to weathering any storm. Baring the unforseen. The wife and I can live reasonably well for two years or more. The electricity will be tenous after about three months. However that will not spell catastrophe, or the end of hot baths either for that matter. Not relying on other people, or the government is good policy around here.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
It is disgusting that our politicians over the years have made us so vulnerable to China in so many way. There is a lot of bad stuff they can do to us if we ever had a war with them, even a limited war.

I have to try to find out if my chemo pills come from there, it is called Imbruvica and also goes by the name of Ibrutinib.
We received an e-mail from the organization that leads the research and funding efforts of the particular "thing" we have. Unfortunately, the chemo pills are indeed made in China. Not really surprised though. So far they say no disruption. I'm hoping as we move into warmer months this all subsides as most virus/flue type bugs do and this entire issue will go away.

But I'll say it again, it is totally disgusting how business leaders and politicians have left Americans so vulnerable to the whims of a foreign, corrupt (more than America's politicians that is and that takes a lot), godless (at least the political ideology), closed, country.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-27-2020, 06:59 AM

This chart was posted on the CalGuns forum, which has a massive, ongoing thread about the outbreak. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of it.
Attached Thumbnails
73d4b3ba74efec4c85c3562131362322c66946d9b29a497ac0b234373ec7e754_1582808308121.jpg  
Old 02-27-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
POTUS had a great news conference. Amazing command of the issue which has such a large scope. Did a great job with the Q&A too and handling the questions from what has to be the most over paid profession of idiots on the planet - the national media.

I was happy too that he compared it, like we did above, to the regular flue so as to put it in perspective.
You're being sarcastic right?
Old 02-27-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban View Post
You're being sarcastic right?
I wouldn't know how to answer your question other than to ask you if you are a Lefty infiltrator (we have been getting a lot of them lately)?
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-28-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't know how to answer your question other than to ask you if you are a Lefty infiltrator (we have been getting a lot of them lately)?
I meant for it to be a yes or no question I asked.....I'll take it as a no, and move along.....
Old 02-28-2020, 06:15 AM

Love how all the democrats are saying this is a “global pandemic” and blaming it on Trump.
Typical. As if he had any control over how China handled this. And I guess they don’t know that more people have died in the US from the regular flu than from Corvid-19 world wide. I’m convinced and sickened that the media and dems are blowing this crap out of proportion so the economy tanks just so they can use it to try and get the President out of office.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder Guy View Post
Love how all the democrats are saying this is a “global pandemic” and blaming it on Trump.
Typical. As if he had any control over how China handled this. And I guess they don’t know that more people have died in the US from the regular flu than from Corvid-19 world wide. I’m convinced and sickened that the media and dems are blowing this crap out of proportion so the economy tanks just so they can use it to try and get the President out of office.
Regardless of how its classified the libtards will blame President Trump because they have no other play in their empty playbook.

As i said in an earlier post, Trump has been saying for more than 4+ years that the US has and is too dependent on China and we need to get away from that business model by creating parity in trade and /or increasing manufacturing back home. Trump has improved both. Corvid-19 can and will limit corporate profits as evidenced by Goldman Sachs announcement that they expect no profit for this year 2020.

I also found it interesting that Bloomberg has been quiet regarding criticism of China re: Corvid-19. He must be heavily invested in China in some way.??

The big picture shows the US is best equipped to handle corvid-19 vs any other country, except for maybe Israel ( which is already reporting a test or vaccine in the works)..how, i dont know..but thats not a bad thing.

Last edited by Plantar5; 02-28-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:56 PM

Well seeing as they are now censoring information on this.

Most notably on Youtube by Google who owns them. One might consider this as cause to elevate ones level of concern.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:25 PM

The masks do not protect you from someone else they protect someone else from you. Surgeons wear masks to protect the patient.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39A7...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-29-2020, 09:39 PM

Random thoughts on the subject:

I do not side with the mainstream media. No way, no how. A bunch of leftist leaners, mostly.

But specific to this new virus, I can understand that they're in a somewhat difficult place, as are, for example, stock market investors (the big players, not little guys like me). Realistically, I think the media had little choice but to report the cases/death today in the Seattle area, as well as show videos of scenes in South Korea and other hard hit places.

I think it might be fair to say that there's significant uncertainty, an "x" factor so to speak, as to what will transpire over the next several weeks of months. Much is simply unknown.

As to President Trump's messaging, I think it's appropriate for the current circumstances. If things go really bad, there's little doubt in my mind that he'll respond and communicate accordingly (recognizing that dealing with a virus is not like a geopolitical dispute). I don't see much benefit in President Trump or anyone else pressing a "we need to panic" button.

Even if the worst scenarios should happen to play out, there's little benefit in the general population presuming in advance that such will occur. Panic is not preparation; the two should not be confused.

Those in the medical and pharmaceutical professions (worldwide) are generally doing what they can, independent of the worldwide political messaging from presidents, prime ministers, etc. If/when a vaccine or other pharmaceutical treatment is developed, it will likely come from the very same pharmaceutical corporations that the leftists wish to dismantle, restructure, strip away profits, etc. Not from some government agency, no matter how many taxpayer dollars are pumped into the agency. Pumping taxpayer dollars into some government agency, as Dems are prone to do (and tout as a great response), is not necessarily the same as preparation.

And most likely (not that such things can be statistically quantified), "the worst" will not actually transpire. I suppose the one current probable truth is that much is simply not yet known...and people do tend to fear uncertainties of a negative nature.

To make one mention of firearms, whenever there is uncertainty and risk of any kind of panic, breakdown, etc., it is always better to have it and not need it ... than to not have it...as probably every member of our Forum well understands. And that's a right that the Dems/leftists seek to take away, in favor of government control.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 02-29-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert Cannon View Post
The masks do not protect you from someone else they protect someone else from you. Surgeons wear masks to protect the patient.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39A7...ature=youtu.be
May be true for some masks I don't no, but it is completely untrue for masks N95 rated, the latter are design so that crap (bacteria, dust, and even viruses) don't get into your lungs.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-01-2020, 05:54 AM

The whole virus thing is so moronic.

This year in the US 15,000 have died from the flu. 750,000 will die this year from heart disease. But hey...let’s get all worked up about the Corona virus. Fear is a powerful tool. Don’t stoop to it.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
The whole virus thing is so moronic.

This year in the US 15,000 have died from the flu. 750,000 will die this year from heart disease. But hey...let’s get all worked up about the Corona virus. Fear is a powerful tool. Don’t stoop to it.
Agree, about a 1/2 dozen of us have pointed this out in this thread. POTUS did also on his 2 Press Conferences so far...

That said, I wonder why our culture has a stigma about wearing masks in public, vs say Japan and China where it is almost BAU.

As mentioned, because I take daily chemo pills, during regular flue season, I do wear an N95 mask in crowded tight places like a large grocery store. I don't need much motivation, right on the pill bottle it says it compromises immune system and to "keep away from sick people", not to mention what my Hematologist told me which I will not repeat.

I do get a "look" from time to time, but is just a normal human reaction and I never take it personal. The check-out ladies all know me and I always have fun talking with them. Some of them wear rubber gloves but are not allowed to wear masks even though they would if they could.

Once in a while, especially as these virus scares come up in the media, an adult will nicely ask me why I have a mask on expecting me to reference the news I guess. I just tell them I am on chemo pills daily and they totally "get" it and wish me well.

In the 7 years or so that I've been doing this, I only had one weird incident, a low paid shelf stocker person, who I believed to be mentally handicapped, walked past me and did a bunch of mock-coughing as if to be a wise ass. His other stock shelfing buddies gave him a nasty look.

It is also interesting, that although my Hematologist fully supports my decision during flue season, if I walk into some (not all) other doctors office for say a check-up, not all of them are so benign about it even after I explain I am on chemo. Medically very bizarre on their part, but maybe they think I will scare their customer's away :-).

I'd wager in Japan, nobody thinks twice about the large # of "mask-wearers" in public even when there are no media induced panics around...Just for fun, it would be interesting to figure out which exact cultural beliefs drive these two modes of socially "acceptable" behavior, respectively.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-01-2020 at 07:39 AM.