Light frame 45 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 06:44 PM

Light frame 45

Iím about to put together a order for a Xtac Elite compact 45 with a light weight frame. Iím a little concerned about the recoil this would be a carry gun hence the LW frame. Does anyone have one and can comment on the recoil?
Old 01-13-2020, 07:45 PM

I don't own a WC, but I have fired a Kimber Ultra, a Colt Defender, and a Dan Wesson ECO, all 45 ACP, and all with compact lightweight frame. I think these guns shoot fine. They are fast on target and the recoil is nothing to dread. Much the same as shooting a lightweight commander or even an all steel commander. These guns are meant to be carried much and shot infrequently. I recommend putting 500 to 1000 rounds through the gun initially, to welcome it into your collection, and then shoot maybe 100 rounds per year just to remember the feel.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 PM

If you get it and decide the recoil is a little harsh, you can always go with a lighter grn bullet.
185grn is easy to find.
Federal Hydra-shok is available in 165grn low recoil.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...deral-pd45hs3h

Last edited by None.Ya; 01-13-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 05:45 AM

+1 to above...Loading makes a big difference. Although I run 230 HST in all my other 45's, I now run 185 Golden saber (regular NOT +P) in my tiny XDs 3.3". Worlds of difference from 230 which I ran through it for many years. It is an easy gun to shoot in 185, a bucking bronco in 230 (requiring more practice to be proficient with). I only shoot it 1 time a year so 185 is the way to go with this particular gun.

So try a handful of various "sub-loads" and see what you like best...WC makes a 160gr 45 but it is almost 2$, which is a little rich for me.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-14-2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:11 AM

We find the Xtac texturing with Armor Tuff does not provide for as secure a grip on the pistol as does checkering. Sold our X9 for that reason, Just our opinion.

We have both a Colt WC CCO and DW Vigil CCO in 45ACP with checkered front straps and MS housings. they do not shift around in our hand like the Xtac textured X9 (a 9mm, as you know) did. Lightweight 45s need to be secure in the hand and are a bit harder to shoot well but most find they carry them more than they shoot them. Then there are the 9mm lightweights which are a joy to carry and to shoot.

Just our .02 worth.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:17 AM

I don't care for them myself. Don't have a Wilson but I've had a Kimber Ultra and a Kimbet Pro Carry on the past and ultimately decided I don't like the extra recoil and flip the aluminum frame gives compared to the steel.

It's fine and manageable but just not my preference. Much easier to carry the lighter weight IMO, but in my mind aluminum frames get 9mm (or possibly .38 super) and .45 stays steel.

Same goes for polymer, haven't found a poly, small, .45 I like. 9mm or .40 works better for me with light guns.

Just my preference though, it's not a huge difference.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:57 AM

Well, MY lightweight .45 is a Colt Commander and I have been on a steady process of reducing loads as my recoil tolerance declined with age. I am now down to Barely Major and am looking at Midrange.

On the other hand, a lightweight 9mm is Just About Right.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:11 AM

Honestly, if you shoot a fair amount, I don't think you'll be bothered at all by the LW frame. Plus, you'll really like how it feels carrying it in the holster.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:01 PM

I had a Dan Wesson Vigil Commander in 45 ACP and I loved it. The key is good recoil management which you should have regardless of weapon.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
I had a Dan Wesson Vigil Commander in 45 ACP and I loved it. The key is good recoil management which you should have regardless of weapon.
Truth! (unless are old or infirmed that limits your capabilities).

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)