Snail slow brownells shipping ? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Snail slow brownells shipping ?

Could brownells really be this slow? I ordered a 1911 front sight tool last month?

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 11-10-2019, 03:56 PM

Odd. I've made a couple of purchases from Brownells in the past month. I think the typical delivery time was a week.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:20 PM

I don't clock brownells, but, their packages are always the last to arrive when I order from multiple vendors on a given day.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Don't you have a tracking number from them yet?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:27 PM

I'm about done with Brownells. The last 3 times I've ordered stuff, the website listed the items as "in stock". Then I placed the orders and the next day I get an email stating the item was back ordered. In the age of computer tracked inventory, that's BS. They say stuff is in stock just so you'll buy it...then after the fact tell you it's out of stock. The 3rd time it happened, I called customer service and and let them have it. Then I cancelled the order and called Midway. Had it on my doorstep 2 days later.

Screw Brownells.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:44 PM

Yeah, they’re quick to take our money, and terribly slow on shipping which I always feel is expensive to boot.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:04 PM

Amazon prime has spoiled all of us.

I got used to 2nd day delivery and now anytime I order something from anyone else, 7 to 14 days for a delivery seems way too long. But before Amazon came along, that was a typical mail order delivery speed.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:04 PM

You sure it wasn’t backordered? I order from them 2-3 times a week... always 2-3 day delivery... backordered items only delay... great company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...p/CIMG0653.jpg
Old 11-10-2019, 08:24 PM

Part to repair revolver ordered on the 6th, notified on the 7th of shipment and scheduled to arrive on the 12th and all this with free shipping. This seems typical for all my last orders using free shipping. They surely work to keep me a customer.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:28 PM

I could walk faster than Brownells shipping. My state touches Missouri, Brownells headquarters, and it often takes longer than a week to send a package less than 200 miles. They suck. And half the time their discount codes don't work for one reason or the other. Midway isn't much better. Amazon will take over the world.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 PM

I for one, have never had an issue with Brownells and have used them for many years.
Sorry to hear of the "slowness"
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Could brownells really be this slow? I ordered a 1911 front sight tool last month?
Yes, Brownells is really this bad. I ordered something I needed for a match. It took 5 weekdays before they actually shipped the item. I had to do without it when I needed it. I suspect they sell items they don't have on hand.

I don't order from Brownells anymore.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 PM

Brownell's has about everything and will ship it quickly if they have it. The other alternative, (well maybe if there is one) may ship must faster.

Welcome any superstar replacement suggestions for Brownell's.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:23 PM

The only time that were slow to ship something to me, I had ordered a bunch of small things, and one item was backordered. I assume they held the order a couple days because they either had the item warehoused, or were expecting it in.

Now they were slow as hell to issue a refund on a couple returned items. They paid return shipping though, but it was about 30 days or so before I saw my money back.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 11-10-2019, 11:50 PM

I never had this problem before I ordered every 1911 tool they had.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 11-11-2019, 01:17 AM

Brownells standard shipping is slower by a couple days than some others, but I have no complaints otherwise.

I am almost always able to take advantage of their free shipping offered about every month. With two or more parts, from different manufactures, this almost always comes out cheaper than ordering directly from the manufacturers which would have separate shipping charges for each part.

I also order by phone. I don't know if this makes a difference from ordering online, but I have never had any surprises about something suddenly being out of stock. I did have one problem with a refund that never showed up, but it was remedied immediately when I called. I like to judge a company by how they handle mistakes, not by the mistakes they make.

Also, packages are not transported "as the crow flies". A destination that is geographically closer to the origin will not necessarily receive it sooner. it may go through more points, each incurring another day's delay.

And being able to return a part years later, at Brownells expense, for a full refund, is hard to beat.

-
Old 11-11-2019, 07:43 AM

I've liked Brownells for years, but their shipping is painfully slow as I stated before. "As the crow flies" is actually quite important for the USPS and UPS. Not so much for Fedex. UPS has tons of mini sorting facilities, each capable of routing the packages as directly/quickly as possible. When I buy from Wilson, they ship UPS 2 day. But I always get it in 1 day because I only live 150 miles away.

Last edited by bradsvette; 11-11-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
I could walk faster than Brownells shipping. My state touches Missouri, Brownells headquarters, and it often takes longer than a week to send a package less than 200 miles. They suck. And half the time their discount codes don't work for one reason or the other. Midway isn't much better. Amazon will take over the world.
Brownells is from Iowa, not Missouri.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:22 AM

Thanks Leonard. My bad!
Old 11-11-2019, 03:07 PM

For me it's been hit or miss. Some things show up no issue and others not at all. My most recent purchase was early October for some Starline brass in. 41mag. A few weeks go by so I call them to see where it's at only to be told the carrier must have lost it. But no worries, they won't charge me again to resend out the order again (umm..yeah). It's been over a week since the order was supposed to be resent. It was in stock both times the order was placed and out of stock at some point in between. Still waiting.....
Old 11-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I'm about done with Brownells. The last 3 times I've ordered stuff, the website listed the items as "in stock". Then I placed the orders and the next day I get an email stating the item was back ordered. In the age of computer tracked inventory, that's BS. They say stuff is in stock just so you'll buy it...then after the fact tell you it's out of stock. The 3rd time it happened, I called customer service and and let them have it.
I've honestly never had them back order something that they said was in stock. They don't charge you for the back ordered stuff until shipping anyway, so not sure it helps them.
On the other hand, I have back ordered stuff from them before when they had coupon codes (beretta ARX parts are never in stock, always back order) and gotten them in roughly the time they quoted.

Quote:
Then I cancelled the order and called Midway. Had it on my doorstep 2 days later.
Midway is great, I think, but I don't care much for their website layout and I absolutely hate their boxes that have gun stuff on the side. I don't really need UPS leaving that on my front porch...

Quote:
Screw Brownells.
I did have their "Edge" thing for a year (it was on sale) and it was nice. 2 day shipping fedex for most orders, but you always had to select it rather than it defaulting to it even though it was included.

Mostly though, I just wait for 10% off/ free shipping deals, and Edge never had any exclusive deals so I let that lapse.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
FYI Brownells is in Iowa you might be getting it confused with Midway USA
Old 11-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeccles View Post
FYI Brownells is in Iowa you might be getting it confused with Midway USA
Yes, I did get it confused with Midway. My bad. Another Forum member pointed that out as well. Thanks...
Old 11-11-2019, 06:51 PM

I know Brownells has some good stuff and decent prices but they have ticked me off before on orders. Twice I have placed an order for their ammo deals and used their coupons. The order went through, cc was hit and a couple of days later my order was canceled. I called and emailed I was given no rhyme or reason as to why they were canceled.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
I never had this problem before I ordered every 1911 tool they had.
Like I asked... did you ever get a tracking number? If not, did you call Brownells and getting shipping status? It's one thing to complain about snail-slow shipping, but it's another if you're completely in the dark on the status of your order. You should know where it is... even if it's strapped to a bicycle pedaling cross-country.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.