Really bad match.. damage to my LBCC - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-01-2019, 10:43 PM

Really bad match.. damage to my LBCC

Was shooting a match and had a major breakdown.

On a stage, hammer dropped, nothing happened.. cycled out the round, new round loaded, pulled trigger.. broken gun.

I may have had a Squib followed by another shot.. hard to say. Everyone around me said there was no pop so it couldn't have been a squib. The RO siad he was certain it was jist the hammer dropping and no pop.
But to me, it was a squib with follow-up shot. I didnt hear a primer go off.. I had double hearing protection and too focused on shooting.

We were able to get the spent casing out.. it looked fine, and barrel was clear of obstruction.. didn't try to disassemble gun, just took it home. Boxed it up and mailed to LB yesterday for repair.

When the round went off at failure, a lot of smoke came out of the barrel hood area, like the gun fired out of battery.

Well, I guess I'll find out when they call me

I hope it's repairable. Only 1200 rounds through it.. still new. Arrrggghhh.

Has anyone ever had damage due to firing after a squib? Or know someone that did?
Is the repair more than replacing barrel and bushing? Possible the slide.. or worse, the frame is ruined?

If it wasn't a squib accident, then the breakdown was something else, and likely repaired at their expense (I hope).

Thanks..
Old 11-02-2019, 06:20 AM

If the barrel is clear, I’d rule out a squib. Did you field strip and inspect for any damage? Curious what internally failed? Following along...
Old 11-02-2019, 07:27 AM

The shot that blew the gun could have pushed the squib out. Don't rule it out. I have witness that. It left a bulge in the barrel, but it was clear in the end.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 07:38 AM

What ammunition were you Shooting? Factory or handload?
No pics? Or there wasn’t visually much to see?
Old 11-02-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-1 View Post
If the barrel is clear, Id rule out a squib. Did you field strip and inspect for any damage? Curious what internally failed? Following along...
Didn't field strip. I just told the on site gunsmith to clear it. I was too aggravated. LoL.

Mags still drop freely. Hammer still dropped. Slide looked ok (from the outside).

About about all I could tell was the slide had to be tapped by hammer and plastic punch to move in any direction.

After wiping it down it looked like any other LB. Thats why a few people thought possibly the barrel feet broke, or something barrel related which caused everything to freeze up.

I'll update in a few days
Old 11-02-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
What ammunition were you Shooting? Factory or handload?
No pics? Or there wasnt visually much to see?
My reloads. 4.3gr wst ..230gr coated bullets. Chrono'd about 760.Fps.

No pics. Sorry. Was too aggravated. Also, once it was put back into safe condition, I didn't want to mess with it because it required pounding with a hammer to move slide.

Exterior looks perfectly fine. No parts flew..

It wasn't a double charge. Case removed looked ok.

Here's one thing I remember. Before firing the round that locked up everything, I pulled the trigger and hammer dropped. Nothing happened. I quickly ejected the round so I could continue. It kinda looked like the hammer was at halfcock and the slide was not exactly in battery (I could be wrong too, but something looked off). So once I had a new round loaded and pulled trigger the round went off (felt normal, except a lot of smoke hit my face (like there was some sort of gas port in the breech). Big puff of smoke went
Old 11-02-2019, 08:20 AM

I recently had the same occurrence as what the OP described.

Apparently my shooting muffs completely muffled the sound of the primer going off, so all I heard was the hammer falling. No recoil. I cycled the action (not paying attention to the casing that came out), and fired. Nothing unusual there, either, except the barrel bushing split, and the action jammed partially open and would not move. There was now no obstruction in the barrel.

I sent the gun back to the manufacturer, and they managed to get the gun apart and sent me pics of the barrel being cracked and bulged in three places. The second bullet apparently pushed the first one out after creating really high pressures. It is now getting a replacement barrel and bushing.

I reload, and now if I have a F2F, I stop shooting and inspect the casing that comes out, check the barrel for an obstruction. Better safe than sorry (again).

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 11-02-2019, 08:26 AM

Sorry for lack of information.. it was just very aggravating. The Custom Carry is jist a few months old.. no wear yet. Was about to start carrying it and was going to shoot just a couple of matches with it.

I've been shooting reloads for decades and have never produced a squib. I've seen a few guns blow up from firing followup shots after a squib and always told myself to stop immediately in a match and male sure there was no squib before continuing. I shoot matches for fun, so a bad score isn't anything to fret over. But I was so locked in on that stage, and running on auto-pilot, the thought never came to my mind when it happened.

Just a few weeks ago I saw a young lady's glock fly into pieces from same thing. Everyone was trying to stop her because they all heard the primer pop.. but it was too late she was too fast at clearing . I had made that mental note.."jist stop when a round doesn't fire, screw the time". But in the excitement of a stage I guess it's very hard to do that.

Now, as I said before, there is a possibility it was not a squib stuck in the barrel, the people close by said they hears no pop.. as well as the RO
Old 11-02-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
I recently had the same occurrence as what the OP described.

Apparently my shooting muffs completely muffled the sound of the primer going off, so all I heard was the hammer falling. No recoil. I cycled the action (not paying attention to the casing that came out), and fired. Nothing unusual there, either, except the barrel bushing split, and the action jammed partially open and would not move. There was now no obstruction in the barrel.

I sent the gun back to the manufacturer, and they managed to get the gun apart and sent me pics of the barrel being cracked and bulged in three places. The second bullet apparently pushed the first one out after creating really high pressures. It is now getting a replacement barrel and bushing.

I reload, and now if I have a F2F, I stop shooting and inspect the casing that comes out, check the barrel for an obstruction. Better safe than sorry (again).
I hope my damage is as simple as that. I can handle a new fitted barrel bushing.. i just hope it's all the damage done.

I was wearing double hearing protection.. but my muffs filter out gunshots and let voice come through. Maybe a primer pop is loud enough to be filtered out as well.

The people around were certain they didn't hear the pop as well.. but they were all wearing similar hearing protection of course.

Most logical explanation is the dreaded followup shot into a squib.

So yesterday I went to the range and fired the rest of that batch or reloads... Slowly. (about 130 rounds). No squibs, all shot fine. LoL. Naturally.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:15 AM

Hope it all gets worked out quickly and minimally for you.
Keep us posted.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Sounds like you recycled and fired into a stuck bullet.
That is a low to midrange load, it probably just bulged the barrel.
I saw it happen here and a new barrel was all that was required.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Sounds like you recycled and fired into a stuck bullet.
That is a low to midrange load, it probably just bulged the barrel.
I saw it happen here and a new barrel was all that was required.
Thanks...
Fingers are crossed.. i hope thats all too.

Btw.. i chrono'd those same loads today...
Was consistently shooting about 760 to 770 fps avg. I had one that topped 800(weird).

Also shot some out my commander .. avg was 730 fps. One was just under 600 fps (weird as well)

This is gonna be an expensive lesson.. I seriously doubt this will be a warranty repair if a bulged barrel is found.

Using a square deal B.. measuring on a new (cheap) hornady digital scale and Dillon beam scale (sanity check).

David
Old 11-03-2019, 07:59 AM

Squibs aren't exclusively reloads. The only squib I've had in 40 years was factory. I've sots terms of thousands of my handholds. Ammo manuf pretty much said tough ****.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2019, 09:57 AM

Same here. The only squib I've ever had was a factory load. Fortunately, I knew it was a squib because I was shooting my S&W model 25 and heard a very mild report with no recoil. When in doubt, cease fire and check it out - competition be damned.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsonyay View Post
few people thought possibly the barrel feet broke, or something barrel related which caused everything to freeze up.
I literally had that happen to my LB-CC. It was strange, because it would LOCK up, and then UNLOCK itself, and then LOCK up again on and off.

I thought UH??????????? Eventually it wouldn't unlock, and then I used compressed air to blow out around the slide and frame.

In the end, a chip had come off the barrel feet. Got jammed between the barrel and slide locking it up.

Just as well you send it in without figuring it out, because it's not a self fix.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:59 PM

On the frustration of ammo you reload causing squibs and damaging a gun.

Yes, I've personally done it. In the end, I've still saved money over all. Live and learn, and improve your reloading process.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:18 AM

Just an update..

The Custom Carry is at LB at this time. It's been there a couple of weeks. I emailed to get a status and received a reply from Brenda that I would be notified when it was repaired.

I'll continue to update as things progress.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:26 AM

Let us know what you hear and see.
The problem with this "good customer service" stuff is that while they will fix your gun, they hardly ever give a detailed report on what was wrong and what they did to fix it.

If they do, it can be interesting. I sent my Browning Broadway trap gun in for refitting. Bought used and shot a bunch more, it was getting loose. I sent it in, it came back nice and snug. The work order said that they had replaced the ejectors. Apparently new or oversize ejectors was all it took to fill in the slop.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 11-15-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:26 AM

Tagged for updates
Old 11-19-2019, 10:28 PM

The bill for shooting after a squib....

Install & fit new 5 match barrel and bushing $423.00
Install & fit new slide stop $45.00
Test fire and ammo charge $35.00
Return shipping $40.00

Last edited by dsonyay; 11-19-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:56 PM

Charge for the new barrel/bushing is a bit more than I would expect, but glad to hear that no other major damage was found and it can be repaired.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_fan111 View Post
Charge for the new barrel/bushing is a bit more than I would expect, but glad to hear that no other major damage was found and it can be repaired.
Yep.. expensive lesson to learn. Unless you shoot matches to feed the family, don't just rack the slide and keep shooting on a misfire. Stop. Check it out. The hell with the time.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:45 AM

I asked for my old barrel back as well.. thought I'd keep it as a reminder to myself.. shooting matches , and also to look at every charged casing before placing a bullet on top.

They said they don't normally return broken parts, but would leave a note to the gunsmith to send it back.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:28 AM

That would be interesting to see a photo when it comes back, if you have the time.

The up-side of all this is no one got hurt!
Old 11-23-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbrown View Post
That would be interesting to see a photo when it comes back, if you have the time.

The up-side of all this is no one got hurt!
No problem.. if they remember to send the barrel back, I'll post a pic.

Yeah, it could have been worse.

David