1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 06:04 PM

Yet another large dude with 1911 IWB questions

Hi Y'All,
I've recently been approved for CCW and am working out the details. Mainly holsters. Since I'm 6-foot and ~260 lbs, my thought was that I can probably conceal just about anything. I've got some "junk in the proverbial trunk". Lotsof love handles and a good bit of belly.

My plan is to carry a WC aluminum-frame CCO and I have both a VMII and SSII. I've noticed that the VMII conceals better, but the SSII is more comfortable.

Both conceal best at 2:30 for me (to be blunt, under the right-hand side of my belly). I can bend over, dance, sit in office chairs, do yoga, and I doubt anyone would ever notice (in a single, XXXL dress shirt that is not tucked in). I've also noticed that I can carry a 5-inch 1911 in the same place with the same results. In fact, the 5-inch seems to conceal the handle a little bit better in a VMII. Don't ask me how that works.

The problem is sitting. The hammer digs into my soft parts ferociously. I can tolerate it for an hour or two, but it's leaving marks on me. I doubt that this is a realistic solution. Carrying at 3:00 is much more comfortable, but it looks like a I have a tumor on my right side. Not nearly as concealed as it should be IMO.

I have three Milt Sparks Criterions on order and though I think the cant and lower ride will help with pistol grips vs seats/chairs...I'm not sure they will be much different as far as sitting is concerned. Sparks & Co. told me that they would absolutely WOULD NOT extent the sweat shield on my Criterions because the shield would form around the pistol over time and interfere with draw. I offered to promise "not to return or complain" and to cut any offending leather from my holsters should the need arise. No go. They will not extend the sweat shields for me.

So, now I'm thinking that as awesome as Sparks holsters are....I might need something else with an extended sweat shield. Surely I'm not the only husky American to work on this problem!

Are there any other large dudes on the forum that have had similar problems and found a solution?

Learned input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2019, 06:52 PM

I suggest you give James Nelson a call. He worked with me to build a custom low profile rig and it serves me well. Much better than the store bought holsters.

http://www.nelsonholsters.com/index.html
Old 10-25-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
I suggest you give James Nelson a call. He worked with me to build a custom low profile rig and it serves me well. Much better than the store bought holsters.

http://www.nelsonholsters.com/index.html
Are you a big fella?

If so, I'd like to hear the details about how things worked out. Specifically, where do you carry your holster, with what size of pistol, and what type of holster. Stuff like that.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 09:41 PM

I make you look skinny. 5'9" 260. So yes I have had the same problem. Summer Special ll at 3:30 works well, kind of right behind the love handle. My preferred method of carry though is a OWB pancake. I suggest larger shirts. I worked in a business environment for 25 years and had no problem concealing from 35 sets of prying eyes in my office daily. Sweater vest in the winter or a sweater proved to be a great concealment garment in the winter. You would be surprised how little difference there is between a good pancake and an IWB for concealment. I speak from experience. The Simply Rugged Cuda is a personal favorite and TT Gunleather pancake with sweat shield also works fine. Today it was 90* in Fresno Ca. I walked around the Kaiser medical center with a Commander sized 1911 concealed in a Summer Special ll. Make sure that pants are a size larger than normal when IWB and just get a shirt or cover garment that is large enough to conceal. I've seen way to many fellows try and fit in a 44 when a 46 should have been worn and with a gun in their trousers it should have been a 48. If you are committed to CCW then you need to wear the clothes necessary to conceal the gun
Old 10-26-2019, 08:05 AM

I'm not a big guy, and I prefer the sweat shield height Sparks uses, because it makes it easier to access the thumb safety on a 1911.

However, High Noon makes their Down Under, which is similar to the Summer Special II, but uses a taller sweat shield.

Down Under https://www.highnoonholsters.com/lea...uty/down-under

If you prefer wearing forward of the hip, the High Noon Public Secret, with straight drop rather than muzzle rear canted, may be a better choice.

Public Secret https://www.highnoonholsters.com/lea.../public-secret
Old 10-26-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobconroy75 View Post
Both conceal best at 2:30 for me ...

I have three Milt Sparks Criterions on order ...
I would think the extra cant of the Criterion would not be an advantage at 2:30
Old 10-26-2019, 09:05 AM

I'm no slim dude, but I find my Criterions ride best behind the 3:30 position. I have a little hollow area there. It is important, if you're physically able, to bend at your knees instead of your back to minimize printing. Much easier on your back also.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:49 AM

I have about 30lbs on you and I have tried so many different IWB holsters over the years from the top makers and the two most comfortable designs I have found are the DelFatti ISP-LP and the Sparks Criterion.

I wear booth about 4:00 (I am mostly all gut lol) and they work very well. The only time they are uncomfortable is when Im driving for more than about 30 minutes but as far as office chair work and general wear they work great. Im sure if I would slim down a bit the car comfort issue would also be resolved.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Are you a big fella? If so, I'd like to hear the details about how things worked out. Specifically, where do you carry your holster, with what size of pistol, and what type of holster. Stuff like that.
Nope, same height but lighter. I carry at 3 with a very low profile height. The reason I wrote was because the holster James made for me (1911 style pistols) has leather that covers the hammer and the grip safety. From reading your post it seemed that was the problem area. He is very good to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1525.JPG  

Last edited by vortec; 10-26-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
originally posted by jtq
However, High Noon makes their Down Under, which is similar to the Summer Special II, but uses a taller sweat shield.
Currently available at $54 on the High Noon clearance page

https://www.highnoonholsters.com/sal...trap-clearance
Old 10-28-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
In fact, the 5-inch seems to conceal the handle a little bit better in a VMII. Don't ask me how that works.
That set up gives you more leverage from the longer slide and holster to resist [the grip from] being pushed out by the handles or gut. Short barreled guns are notorious for tipping outward while holstered.

When I started CC'ing, I was 6-1, 260lbs. my most comfortable position was carrying just behind the hip... it was much more comfy and conceals well. I suspect you'll like a criterion just behind the point of the hip... the extra cant makes it more comfy and also conceals better between 3:30-4:30. (behind the hip helps pull the grip in tight to the body)

I've lost the weight but still carry behind the hip- it's comfortable for me sitting, standing or driving.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:12 PM

All belly, no behind here.
Keep in mind, you probably aren’t showing as bad as you think.
I have found it best for me to keep it just back of the hip, like 3:30-4:00.
But I don’t have the back roll to contend with.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Hi Y'All,
Since I'm 6-foot and ~260 lbs, my thought was that I can probably conceal just about anything.
Skinny guys are the ones who can conceal more easily. More hollows for the gun to hide in.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
Skinny guys are the ones who can conceal more easily. More hollows for the gun to hide in.
See the guy with a G26 in a Raven Concealment Phantom IWB in post #2 of this thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...en-Concealment
Old 10-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
Nope, same height but lighter. I carry at 3 with a very low profile height. The reason I wrote was because the holster James made for me (1911 style pistols) has leather that covers the hammer and the grip safety. From reading your post it seemed that was the problem area. He is very good to work with.
Yeah, that sweat shield setup is exactly what I'm looking for. Pity that Sparks won't even consider it.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:54 PM

First thing I would do is call Sparks and see if they can add/extend a sweat shield for you. The worst they're going to say is "no."
Old 10-30-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
First thing I would do is call Sparks and see if they can add/extend a sweat shield for you. The worst they're going to say is "no."
I did just that, and they said the worst thing, lol.

Sparks said that they have been asked before, and that an extended sweat shield would eventually curl around the hammer and beavertail during use...and that this would then inhibit drawing the weapon.

I offered to promise not to attempt to return the holsters if this happened, and that I would happily cut off any problematic curling if and/or when it happened. The answer was, "No, sorry, we are not willing to extend the shields."

It sounds to me like they have plenty of business and have no desire to fulfill special requests (and that is their prerogative). So, I'm afraid I'm going to have to spend my money elsewhere. No hard feelings on my part. It just happens that the products they are offering do not fit my needs. I gave it an honest try.

Tomorrow I'll wear a Sparks SSII when working in the shop (at 2:30) to see how the 25 cant compares to the VMII cant.

Now I'm thinking about trying a 40 cant too. However, I think my next order will be a CCST.

Until I find the type of holster that feels good and works well, it might be best to stop ordering high-priced custom leather.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:51 AM

Contact Red's Gun leather:
https://reds-gunleather.myshopify.com/
https://reds-gunleather.myshopify.com/collections/all
His 'Ultimate Concealment IWB works for me with the extend sweat shield.
I'm 6'4" 250 lbs. I wear it at 3:30.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa1 View Post
Contact Red's Gun leather:
https://reds-gunleather.myshopify.com/
https://reds-gunleather.myshopify.com/collections/all
His 'Ultimate Concealment IWB works for me with the extend sweat shield.
I'm 6'4" 250 lbs. I wear it at 3:30.
That looks interesting. Would you happen to have a picture that better shows the relationship between the hammer/beavertail and the sweat shield? The web site doesn't really have much pictures of that holster and a 1911 in much detail.

Did you order yours with an extended shield....or is your holster "stock"?

Thanks.

Last edited by Jacobconroy75; 10-31-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:28 PM

Jocobconroy75: Sure do, holster is stock yet if you contact them through the website or on Facebook they can make you anything you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Resized_20191031_132344.jpeg  

Last edited by papa1; 10-31-2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-31-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa1 View Post
Jocobconroy75: Sure do, holster is stock yet if you contact them through the website or on Facebook they can make you anything you need.
Thanks! That is the sort of pic I was looking for.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:21 AM

I wear a Crossbreed Super Tuck or a MTR Leather Avenger in the 4 position (IWB) when carrying a 4" 1911
Old 11-03-2019, 07:19 AM

I tried a couple so called fine leather holsters and nelson makes a very nice rig and does custom work but I to wear a very adjustable hybrid - Comp-Tac MTAC - for the last year and there Neutral model for 15 years before that . My wife also used a comp-tac neutral for some 10 years followed by a MTAC back half also but bought a Stealthgear Ventcore to try that she likes but I might sweat to much for one of those !!
Old 11-06-2019, 05:05 PM

Personally I find myself in the same boat these days. I have two main conceal carry options:

1. My vest. This thing is amazing, but they don't make them anymore. It's a Kakadu conceal carry vest, but the ones they sell now are crap in comparison. That and I had to modify it anyway, but there's absolutely no 'printing' and even one of the deputies I work with was very surprised I was carrying.

2. Belt holster, long jacket. I'm not a fan of tummy holsters because of what you mentioned - the parts hurt, and most of what I do these days is SIT, for LONG periods.

So I'd suggest you go find a vest. I'm looking at replacing my Kakadu with a vest from Fox Creek Leather, so can't say if they're great or not yet b/c I've yet to get one. (Need to know if their conceal holsters will handle the Kimber 1911)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Carter View Post
Personally I find myself in the same boat these days. I have two main conceal carry options:

1. My vest. This thing is amazing, but they don't make them anymore. It's a Kakadu conceal carry vest, but the ones they sell now are crap in comparison. That and I had to modify it anyway, but there's absolutely no 'printing' and even one of the deputies I work with was very surprised I was carrying.

2. Belt holster, long jacket. I'm not a fan of tummy holsters because of what you mentioned - the parts hurt, and most of what I do these days is SIT, for LONG periods.

So I'd suggest you go find a vest. I'm looking at replacing my Kakadu with a vest from Fox Creek Leather, so can't say if they're great or not yet b/c I've yet to get one. (Need to know if their conceal holsters will handle the Kimber 1911)
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking into vests.