Want to get started in USPSA SS Div what do I need? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-13-2016, 12:37 PM

Want to get started in USPSA SS Div what do I need?

So far I've settled on the Comp-Tac International holster.

What kind of belt should I get? I was looking at the Wilderness Tactical CSM belt. Does anyone use this? I also have my duty belt, but it is almost 2.25 inches wide (Safariland w/ fuzzy Velcro on inner side).

For mag pouches, I was looking at the Comp-Tac single 1.75 inch belt loop type. It would work well with the Wilderness Tactical CSM belt which is also 1.75 inches wide.

Does anyone have better suggestions? I see some people use an inner/out belt configuration
Old 03-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Consider a CR Speed or Double Alpha inner/outer sets. The later is a wee bit stiffer, but they are both good.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
Consider a CR Speed or Double Alpha inner/outer sets. The later is a wee bit stiffer, but they are both good.
Thanks I'll check them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 02:09 PM

Everything you need. Many see this as the best out there.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-bo...daa-belt-deal/
"Not to be unkind, but signature lines loaded with inventory lists tend to strike me as some kind a plea for validation -- and an indicator that the member in question is probably chasing his tail to a certain degree." -AC
Old 03-13-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseGPresley View Post
Everything you need. Many see this as the best out there.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-bo...daa-belt-deal/
Ill do some research on this. I have never heard of a Boss holster or Ghost mag pouches. So, it comes with the option of either Comp Tac or Blade Tech holster bodies, but with different hardware?

Do the Ghost mag pouches work with single stack magazines? Or, since I'm selecting a 5" 1911 Government type holster, will the mag pouches also change? Will they change to the conventional bullet nose forward type, or stay with the nose out type?
Old 03-13-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
yeah most folks use the inner/outer belt s that velcro to each other. lets you leave your holster, mag pouches etc on the outer belt and just roll it on over the inner belt. also check out shootersconnection they have their own brand similar belts.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:29 PM

and you'll need at least 6 mags that work in your gun.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:15 AM

you'll need to practice reloads. SS is a fun division as you seldom have extra rounds in the gun, so missing costs you a reload. don't miss. learn to reload more quickly. magwell if you want to not smash your fingers.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:39 AM

You don’t need anything fancy or pricey

Holster for 1911 single stack
http://www.shootersconnectionstore.c...ISV-P2299.aspx

Magazine pouches
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343...op-kydex-black

Belt
http://www.chameleon-fabrics.com/ipsc-3-gun-stuff/
Old 03-14-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
you'll need to practice reloads. SS is a fun division as you seldom have extra rounds in the gun, so missing costs you a reload. don't miss. learn to reload more quickly. magwell if you want to not smash your fingers.
Ok, I'm using a S&A mag well right now. If I wanted to switch to the Dawson ICE magwell (the 360 degree one w/ insert), in order for my mags to insert properly, all I need to do is change the base pads on my magazines with Dawson Precision base pads, correct?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil P. View Post
Ok, I'm using a S&A mag well right now. If I wanted to switch to the Dawson ICE magwell (the 360 degree one w/ insert), in order for my mags to insert properly, all I need to do is change the base pads on my magazines with Dawson Precision base pads, correct?
The DP No Gap will require appropriate bases or a trim job. Just buy the right bases..I have seen some god awful trim jobs!

Yup, six good mags. Make sure they ALL work well in your gun(s) too.
Practice reloads.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:44 PM

Some good advice here Gil...
I'll give my experience when I started...

I didn't have much money, and I didn't know what gear I would need. I asked some fellow shooters, and did lot of reasearch. Ultimately, I realiized I could make do with I had in my range bag.

I liked my Colt Commander, I had several magazines, and 400+ rounds. I bought some ear protecion and some comfortble shoes.

My first few matchess I sucked!!!
I asked my fellow competiors and visited several gun storse, and discovered the weath of info on the WWW.

My biggest cost that first year was ammuniton.

So, gun and holster, ear & eye protection, comfortable shoes, a range bag
and plenty of bullets.

I didn't get comfortble with my rig until my second season.

Take your time, talk with your new friends and try improve every year.

GOOD LUCK!!!

p.s. Read every book, article you can find on Col. Jeff Cooper!

Last edited by TraderJack; 03-14-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the advice! Ill have to look up some of Jeff Coopers books.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:58 PM

I really like a 2 piece 1.5" belt (Double Alpha or CR Speed). You are good to go on the holster you are looking at. I really like Safariland 771 mags pouches, they are inexpensive and work really well with a smooth release and good retention.

http://www.copquest.com/safariland-7...ch_23-8101.htm

If you are shooting major (8 round limit), most people run 6 mags on their belt. If you are shooting minor (10 round limit), then you can get away with 4 or 5 mags on your belt.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil P. View Post
The ICE magwell is the best one out there for SS. The down side is the cost and the cost for the basepads. They work really well and can save a fumbled reload. If you go with the Gap version you can use your mags as is, if you go with the No-Gap version you will need to buy the base pads for your mags.

One thing you can do to save a little money and see if the ICE is for you is to buy the Gap version and try it out. If you decide you want to go to the No-Gap version all you have to do is replace the insert ($20) and buy your base pads.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:53 AM

I started with a blade tec on a regular leather belt, a 4.25" 9mm m&P and I think 3 mags.lol. I was way out of it in terms of competitive, now I have 6 mags double alpha belt forget the mag holders but I first found out I liked it, went slow and steady and once comfortable started upping my equipment. I can't wait to get a real 5" dedicated gun.most fun I've ever had with clothes on. You'll figure out what u need as u get more into it. Run what u bring for now and have a blast
Old 03-27-2016, 05:03 AM

What you need for USPSA......

When you mentioned "my duty rig" I made an assumption you might be a LEO.

If that is the case, you may want to consider shooting both USPSA and IDPA, and getting equipment that may be used for both action shooting games.

IDPA is a different action shooting game in which the COF is based on a simulated self defense situation "that could really happen." A concealment garment is often required so the gun is loaded and concealed at the start. When shooting at "threat" targets, the use of proper cover is required, so the shooter often has to lean out from a wall or barricade to shoot the threats.

If interested, you can find a local IDPA club near you, along with the equipment rules for each gun division at:

www.idpa.com

I shoot USPSA in the Open Division, IDPA in the ESP division, and Steel challenge. I use an STI 2011 .38 super race gun for USPSA, and an STI 2011 Eagle 9mm for IDPA and Steel Challenge. My belt, Blade Tech holster, and mag pouches may be used for both IDPA and steel challenge, but my .38 super race gun uses a special "race gun holster."
Old 03-27-2016, 08:06 AM

"Duty belt"...

Here comes a critical choice to make....speed in competition vs. speed with your duty (LEO?) belt and memory of mag locations...

Many USPSA folks carry mags out front....it's faster.

I always opted for left hip (at 8:45/8:30/8:00) spare mag positions because that is where my spare mags would be IN REAL LIFE...; if I am a tad slower, then so be it. (I was in no danger of winning any events, anyway! )

Last thing you want to do is practice 1,000-2,000 hours for USPSA speed reloads, then in a time of severe stress (gunfight!), reach for where your mag would be on a USPSA rig, and find...air. If your duty rig requires the mags on your left hip, try to keep them in teh same location. Once retired, it's another story.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:46 AM

All you need is a good OWB holster, three mag pouches, maybe a tactical light and plenty of ammo if just starting out. I shoot USPSA primarily to keep me sharp and not for real competition purposes.
"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1
Old 03-27-2016, 11:55 AM

SS Mag pouches need to go behind the hip bone per rule.

No need for a tactical light in USPSA.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
I really like a 2 piece 1.5" belt (Double Alpha or CR Speed). You are good to go on the holster you are looking at. I really like Safariland 771 mags pouches, they are inexpensive and work really well with a smooth release and good retention.

http://www.copquest.com/safariland-7...ch_23-8101.htm

If you are shooting major (8 round limit), most people run 6 mags on their belt. If you are shooting minor (10 round limit), then you can get away with 4 or 5 mags on your belt.
I may end up buying those pouches. I have a Comp Tac single mag pouch, but they're $30 each. I'm developing a Major 45 ACP load right now, if I don't have enough mag pouches before the next match date, I may just go to the store and buy some cheap Fobus mag pouches just to get me started.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
When you mentioned "my duty rig" I made an assumption you might be a LEO.

If that is the case, you may want to consider shooting both USPSA and IDPA, and getting equipment that may be used for both action shooting games.

IDPA is a different action shooting game in which the COF is based on a simulated self defense situation "that could really happen." A concealment garment is often required so the gun is loaded and concealed at the start. When shooting at "threat" targets, the use of proper cover is required, so the shooter often has to lean out from a wall or barricade to shoot the threats.

If interested, you can find a local IDPA club near you, along with the equipment rules for each gun division at:

www.idpa.com

I shoot USPSA in the Open Division, IDPA in the ESP division, and Steel challenge. I use an STI 2011 .38 super race gun for USPSA, and an STI 2011 Eagle 9mm for IDPA and Steel Challenge. My belt, Blade Tech holster, and mag pouches may be used for both IDPA and steel challenge, but my .38 super race gun uses a special "race gun holster."
I am a LEO, and I get that IDPA may be more applicable to my profession, but, I mean, its still a game right? I just like shooting and I think USPSA suits what I want to do better. I know Ill end up doing both though, just because I like shooting, and shooting faster is always more fun.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
"Duty belt"...

Here comes a critical choice to make....speed in competition vs. speed with your duty (LEO?) belt and memory of mag locations...

Many USPSA folks carry mags out front....it's faster.

I always opted for left hip (at 8:45/8:30/8:00) spare mag positions because that is where my spare mags would be IN REAL LIFE...; if I am a tad slower, then so be it. (I was in no danger of winning any events, anyway! )

Last thing you want to do is practice 1,000-2,000 hours for USPSA speed reloads, then in a time of severe stress (gunfight!), reach for where your mag would be on a USPSA rig, and find...air. If your duty rig requires the mags on your left hip, try to keep them in teh same location. Once retired, it's another story.
Yes LEO. I keep my mags just to the left of my belt buckle (right handed). I'm reading the USPSA rule book and it says that holster and mag pouches must be behind the hip bone? It's in Appendix E3.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:16 PM

Yes that is correct and is what I posted above. It is also the same for idpa.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:53 AM

Don't go whole hog on equipment before you shoot your first match. Especially if you're going to shoot SS! The same holster you like can be used for IDPA if you decide to try that except it cannot be "dropped and offset" unless you're female. So make sure the holster offset can be removed if you want to. (Blade Tech can be, not sure about the CompTac) Holster and mag placement is the same, allowed mag capacity is the same for both sports. Except that in IDPA you will only be allowed 2 extra mags on your belt plus 9 rounds to start in the gun. IDPA stages are a max of 18 rounds. USPSA on the other hand may have a stage with like 34 rounds, hence the need for more mags and pouches to hold all the extra ammo required to complete the stage. And then there's the misses......and your first Texas Star.
Both sports are fun, and good trigger time practice.
JD