sr1911 cmd not liking wilson mags - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 PM

sr1911 cmd not liking wilson mags

any one else have a problem using wilson 8 round magazines. mine if loaded to 8 rounds gives me fits loading first round. it even had a couple fte half way through the mag.now i used a kimber pro mag and loaded 8 and no problems.used both hollow point and fmj in both mags and that wilson mag only worked half way decent if i loaded 7 rounds. i am going to look at the tripp magazines or maybe some wilson 7 round mags. any suggestion for mags ??
Old 12-11-2015, 05:25 PM

7 round wilsons work great in my LW CMD
Old 12-11-2015, 06:38 PM

i think i see part of the problem,is the barrel isnt beveled quite as far around and at thr top where the hole is to see a round in the chamber. my rock island barrel has a bit more bevel up the sides, not sure if thats part of feed ramp or not. and the top of the barrel maybe the barrel hood, has the edge beveled for no sharp edges.the other part of the problem is the magazines loaded to 8 rounds must be doing something because if i load them to 7 they work better.i dont think it was ammo because it did it with hollow points,flat nose and round nose at one time or another.no doubt it ran the best with round nose. do you guys carry round nose or what hollow point runs best in your cmd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 06:55 PM

I carry Hornady loads in mine. No probs feeding the polymer plugged hollow points. I also shoot reloads for practice using Hornady XTP bullets. All the above bullets are 185 gr.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:35 PM

Wilson 8rd mags work perfectly in my CMD, as do the 8rd Chip McCormack mags. The Ruger 7rd mags feed fine, but don't drop freely. I'm always having to tinker with the feed lips.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:02 PM

All the ones I shoot are 230 grain fmj or jhp. Do you think changing to a different grain bullet could help?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 AM

I also have a ruger CMD, and I personally have had no issues with feeding using my Wilson Combat mags. My CMD eats everything ball, and hollow points. in my mind (sorry if I seem naive) but my CMD is like my glock just eats whatever I use in it no problem.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canrunin View Post
All the ones I shoot are 230 grain fmj or jhp. Do you think changing to a different grain bullet could help?

Mine cycles 230 gr FMJ and JHP as well. Maybe the CMD just likes 7 round mags better. I don't know how mine works with 8 rounders never tried them
Old 12-13-2015, 01:46 PM

I have not had trouble with mine but only have a couple Wilson 8 round mags.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:38 PM

I have steel Framed and Aluminum Framed Ruger 1911s. I've never had a minutes trouble with the Wilson Elight Tactical or the 47Ds in my guns.

Jungle Work
Old 12-14-2015, 03:56 PM

I have a Kimber 8-rnd mag that can't get into my lwc, so it is relegated to be a 7-rounder.

I bought 7 & 8-rnd Tripp mags that work great. The 8-rnd is longer than the kimber and has a gap to the base pad, which don't mind. It inserts without any extra effort. I ordered two more last night.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:08 PM

Well it turns out it was the ammo. It was 230grain jacketed flat point. my rock island 1911's shoot it fine, I thought if they shoot it the ruger wouldn't have any problems. Guess I was wrong. I ordered the flat point ammo by accident, I will be reading my order a little better from now on so this don't happen again. Live and learn.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:00 PM

If this is a flush fit magazine then 7 rounds will always be more reliable than 8 and the springs will last longer.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:15 PM

I'm having problems with mine too but the mags I have are McCormick Shooting Star. I have several and they work fine in all my Colt and RIA 1911s but when loaded to 8 rounds the Ruger consistently hangs up on the first round. If I load them to 7 rounds, everything works just fine. The ammo is 230 grain ball and hollow point so I don't really think it's ammo.

I don't have a Ruger 8 round mag so I have no idea if it would work any better than the Shooting Stars. Anyone know?