Remington enhanced grip safety fit - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Remington enhanced grip safety fit

I'm thinking of getting the 9mm enhanced, could any of you guys that have a enhanced version post some pictures of the fit of the grip safety. And I was told there was a bunch of problems with the Remington 1911. I have watched a bunch of videos and I haven't found anyone say a bad word. So any opinions would be good too.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:14 AM

Ok if no one has a picture could you tell me have the fit is, some of the pictures I have seen are hard to tell but some look like a bad fit. Thanks
Old 08-23-2015, 03:33 PM

First, there isn't a damn thing wrong with the fit of the grip safety on the Enhanced. It's a 700 to 1000 buck gun depending on where you buy it. If you want a Wilson, go buy a Wilson. It is not going to be as tight as a 3000 buck gun.

Second, the people that are telling you there are problems with the enhanced are flat out full of crap. I'm sure that one or two came off the production line and had an issue. There isn't a gun made that doesn't.

Now, I have over 7000 rounds though my R1s Enhanced. The best 5 shot group, off a bench, with a rest I ever shot out of it was 1 5/8" with a 230 grain Montana Gold FMJ over 4.5 grains of WST and a CCI 300 primer, and the same load can throw 2 1/4 inch groups all day long without breaking a sweat. I paid 660 bucks for mine at a gun show. It's been rained on, snowed on, covered in fine dust, and it ran and ran and ran. I've shot 200 round matches on Saturday, and then another 200 round match on Sunday, with nothing more than running a bore snake through it a couple of times, wiping off the old grease from the slide and putting some new on, then taking it out on Tuesday for our Tactical Tuesday night practice where I shot another 100 to 150 rounds through it.

I own several Kimbers, Colts, a Springer, and one Sig, and the Enchanced is as good a pistol as any of them. All I have done to the gun is to put in a Wilson Full Length Guide Rod, run a 14 pound Wolf spring, a #2 reduced power mag release spring, and a Dawson Ice Magwell on it. I also have a pair of VZ grips on it. The trigger sits right at 4 pounds, and that's with just a home polish job. After 7000 rounds there is more play in my Kimber Raptor Pro (4500 rounds) slide to frame than there is in the Enhanced.

You know why people don't like the R1 Enhanced? Because it's a damn fine gun for less than a grand, sometimes a LOT less than a grand, that on a practical pistol course will preform just as well as their high dollar custom guns if not better. Good enough to win the CDP division and finish 6th overall out of 69 shooters in my class at yesterdays IDPA match.

You don't need a picture of the grip safety. What you probably need is a 3000 buck safe queen that you can show off to your friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agwoodard View Post
You know why people don't like the R1 Enhanced? Because it's a damn fine gun for less than a grand, sometimes a LOT less than a grand, that on a practical pistol course will preform just as well as their high dollar custom guns if not better.
Ain't that the truth....and the truth hurts.

Last edited by zdragon52; 08-23-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agwoodard View Post
First, there isn't a damn thing wrong with the fit of the grip safety on the Enhanced. It's a 700 to 1000 buck gun depending on where you buy it. If you want a Wilson, go buy a Wilson. It is not going to be as tight as a 3000 buck gun.

Second, the people that are telling you there are problems with the enhanced are flat out full of crap. I'm sure that one or two came off the production line and had an issue. There isn't a gun made that doesn't.

Now, I have over 7000 rounds though my R1s Enhanced. The best 5 shot group, off a bench, with a rest I ever shot out of it was 1 5/8" with a 230 grain Montana Gold FMJ over 4.5 grains of WST and a CCI 300 primer, and the same load can throw 2 1/4 inch groups all day long without breaking a sweat. I paid 660 bucks for mine at a gun show. It's been rained on, snowed on, covered in fine dust, and it ran and ran and ran. I've shot 200 round matches on Saturday, and then another 200 round match on Sunday, with nothing more than running a bore snake through it a couple of times, wiping off the old grease from the slide and putting some new on, then taking it out on Tuesday for our Tactical Tuesday night practice where I shot another 100 to 150 rounds through it.

I own several Kimbers, Colts, a Springer, and one Sig, and the Enchanced is as good a pistol as any of them. All I have done to the gun is to put in a Wilson Full Length Guide Rod, run a 14 pound Wolf spring, a #2 reduced power mag release spring, and a Dawson Ice Magwell on it. I also have a pair of VZ grips on it. The trigger sits right at 4 pounds, and that's with just a home polish job. After 7000 rounds there is more play in my Kimber Raptor Pro (4500 rounds) slide to frame than there is in the Enhanced.

You know why people don't like the R1 Enhanced? Because it's a damn fine gun for less than a grand, sometimes a LOT less than a grand, that on a practical pistol course will preform just as well as their high dollar custom guns if not better. Good enough to win the CDP division and finish 6th overall out of 69 shooters in my class at yesterdays IDPA match.

You don't need a picture of the grip safety. What you probably need is a 3000 buck safe queen that you can show off to your friends.
do you feel better now? seems like someone pissed in your Wheaties. i just liked the looks of the dun and wanted a little help, didnt intend on pissing anyone off.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:16 PM

Well you succeeded. Pat yourself on the back.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:40 PM

I don't have an Enhanced but do have three classics, the R1, R1S and R1 Commander. The grip safety hangs just slightly low on the two blue guns but there's little to no gap. The reason for this is the pin hole in the frame is slightly low, not the grip safety itself. It's not a problem and both guns feel good in the hand.

The grip safety on my R1S stainless model is a perfect fit, blending well to the frame. I rarely see better. From the few examples I've seen the stainless models have a slightly better fit than the blue models but I have no serious complaints about the blue models. I would expect the Enhanced to be at least as good as the classic models.

I thought agwoodard's reply was informative, even if he did come on a little strong.

Last edited by Quentin; 08-25-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:41 PM

The reason I asked was the pictures I seen looked like the safety was put in and no blending what so ever. I don't want it to be a Wilson combat but I would like it to be a decent gun. I held a Springfield and all the edges was really sharp, so I had it narrowed down to a Kimber or the Remington enhanced. The videos I watched a lot said the gun was smooth and no sharp edges. But some pictures I seen had me wondering.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canrunin View Post
I don't want it to be a Wilson combat but I would like it to be a decent gun.
OK, try this. One of these guns is a Remington R1s Enhanced. The other is a Kimber Pro Raptor II Stainless.

The Remington has an MSRP of $999 the Kimber $1415. I paid $660 for the Remington NIB, and $1249 for the Kimber NIB. You can compare the grip safety fit for yourself.

The Remington has over 7000 rounds through it, and just came off a match in 90 degree heat. I have yet to clean it. The Kimber has over 4500 rounds through it, and I carry it daily. I used these two guns because they are both stainless and might be a better comparison.

As I told you, I have lots of 45's. I choose the Remington for my game gun because it came with a fiber optic front sight, and an adjustable rear sight (for elevation) and it was stainless. I didn't want to screw around putting new sights on one of my other guns, and, I did not want to subject a $1500 pistol to the wear and tear a kydex holster would put on it. Especially one of the Kimbers that come with a $10.00 paint job they call a finish.

I've had a total of 1 failure to feed with the Remington, and that was when I misfed a Berry's copper plated bullet in my Dillon and it actually shaved off part of the copper so it was outside the case. I don't case check my practice ammo.

You said you wanted a "decent" gun. Well, the Remington Enhanced is just that. It is not a Wilson or Brown. There are probably just as good of guns out there for the same money. There are better guns for more and lesser guns for less. But it has been my experience that the Remington Enhanced is a good, reliable, and accurate pistol. I have beat the crap out of it and it keeps running. I've shot 13 matches in July and August. I clean the gun on Thursday or Friday, shoot a match on Saturday, wipe it down on Saturday night, put some slide glide on the rails and shoot it again on Sunday. I've shot matches where it was 20 degrees outside, and matches where it was 100. Shot in the rain, snow and in the blowing sand. I've out shot guys with $7000 open guns and had my ass kicked by guys with $500 box stock Glock 17's. It's a decent gun that will serve you well. I would not have kept it if it were not.

Last edited by agwoodard; 08-27-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Awesome, thank you for the pictures, I have decided I'm getting the enhanced black version.it will take me along time to put as many rounds through it as you have. I have a rock island and I didn't want another one, it's nice but I wanted to step up to a better one.i think once you replace all the springs in the rock island your better off. Thanks again for your pictures
Old 09-14-2015, 11:56 PM

I picked up an R1 Enhanced Stainless for $700. The frame is very nicely finished and I like the texturing (vertical lines" on the grip front strap. The thumb safety is large and easy to use and the sights are great. Feels tight and shoots tight. I also dressed mine up with VZ grips (purple Bawidamann)... However it's spelled :-)