1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-02-2014, 08:22 AM

Difficult 8 Round Magazine Insertion - Closed Slide

Hello all.

I have a RIA GI Spec 1911 in .45 and have found that if I load the magazine to the full eight rounds and insert it with the slide forward (in battery) it will not fully seat unless I give it an authoritative smack with the heel of my hand. This happens with both a shooting star and the factory RIA mag.

If I start removing rounds things get easier. Seven rounds still require a little tap or a moderate press with my thumb and backing down in rounds it then gets pretty easy to insert. Mags seat easily with slide locked back. Weapon functions fine with no issues firing.

I noticed that there isn't a whole lot of room for the top round to move down when loaded with eight rounds. Is this the issue? If so why are they listed as an eight round magazine?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 AM

Because that is what sells. There is very little room in a flush magazine for follower, spring, and an eighth round.

If you want better operation with eight rounds, you need an extended magazine. The makers have gotten sneaky about concealing the extra length, masking it with a wraparound basepad.
I like Tripp Cobramags but McCormick Power Mags work well for less money.
You will get a lot of votes for Wilson and some for Metalform, too.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsesive View Post
Hello all.

I have a RIA GI Spec 1911 in .45 and have found that if I load the magazine to the full eight rounds and insert it with the slide forward (in battery) it will not fully seat unless I give it an authoritative smack with the heel of my hand. This happens with both a shooting star and the factory RIA mag.

Normal occurrence when loading against the closed slide. Do you also try to take a flat tire off your car without a jack? Kinda hard to do, ain't it?

If I start removing rounds things get easier. Seven rounds still require a little tap or a moderate press with my thumb and backing down in rounds it then gets pretty easy to insert. Mags seat easily with slide locked back. Weapon functions fine with no issues firing.

I noticed that there isn't a whole lot of room for the top round to move down when loaded with eight rounds. That's right, there's just enough room. Is this the issue? If so why are they listed as an eight round magazine?
Because they hold 8 rounds and usually work okay. I never liked them because of reliability issues so I now use the 8-rd mags that protrude from the mag well about 1/4" and have a finger rest base plate to cover the mag extension. These are easier to incorrectly lock in and reliable feeders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 08:32 AM

What magazines are you using? That is likely where the issue lies.

I have an "inexpensive" 8 round mag that does that. The body of the mag is [I]just long enough[I] for the guts to fit when the mag is loaded while out of the pistol. When I try to seat it, the spring and follower simply do not have any additional clearance. Harder than heck to get it seated.

Meanwhile, my Wilson 47D's that do not have any issue at all when inserted fully loaded.

A whole lot of other rifles, shotguns, revolvers and pistols that serve various purposes.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 AM

This has been a problem with 8 round flush fit magazines since they were invented. Your choices are to only load with the slide locked back or use only 7 rounds in it. If you really "need" 8 rounds then you should buy an extended magazine. There just isn't room for that 8th round and a spring and follower in a magazine designed to only hold 7 rounds. It is a compromise. The spring and follower are being crushed into a wad in the bottom of the magazine with 8 rounds. Having to force the magazine into lock just makes it worse. Overcompressing the spring will kill the temper in it and it will start having last round feed issues. Ask yourself how bad do you want that 8th round? I just load 7 rounds in all of my flush fit magazines because I would rather have reliable feeding on the first and last round much more than I need an 8th round. Stuffing 8 rounds in a flush fit magazine is like overloading your pickup until the bed is sitting on the frame. Not a good idea. But people do it all the time.

Last edited by drail; 11-02-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:08 AM

The 1911 was designed to use 7 round mags. You'll be able to seat those new 8 rounders, but it will take a little more effort than you may expect. This is generally more prevalent with new mags. Once the mag springs have been worked in for a bit they will be easier to seat, but probably never as easy to seat as a 7 rounder.

The directions that come with Wilson's mags say to load your mags and let them sit for awhile. Sometimes a couple of hours works, sometimes it may take weeks. You can speed up the process by loading up the mags and then thumbing rounds out and reloading them back in the mag and repeat as necessary.

The new design 8 rounders have longer tubes, such as Wilson ETM, and Tripp Cobra Mags. They will be as easy to seat as 7 rounders.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:58 AM

Thanks everyone.

I shot bowling pin a few times and loved it. The gun shot very well. At the range (outdoor) the require a breech plug and no mag while walking to line so I've inserted an eight round with the slide open. I usually follow this logic at the indoor range with the slide back on the initial load (minus the plug as its closed lanes), but I noticed I ended up loading a mag with a closed slide and that's why I posted as it happened with both mags.

I don't need 8 rounds inserted with the slide closed. Ill just do it with the slide open or get an extended floorplate mag.

Thanks all.

E
Old 11-02-2014, 02:41 PM

As others have mentioned, 8-round mags with longer tubes (Tripp, ETM) solve the issue you are describing. Here is an example of the difference between them (Tripp on the left, 47D on the right):

Old 11-02-2014, 10:45 PM

That extra length makes all the difference.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:28 PM

^^^^^ Yep!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:45 AM

There is no mystery why an 8 round magazine will not slip into a 1911 with the slide closed.
Here is a simple test: load the magazine with 8 rounds. Now push down on the top of the eighth round. Notice it will not compress any further. Maybe it will press down slightly.
The top round in any magazine, I don't care what the capacity, must be free to be pushed down about 3/16" (.187") to slip into any 1911 while in battery.
Remember when inserting any magazine, you are pressing the top round against the bottom of the lower slide rail. The round must then pop up about 3/16 when the slide is fully retracted. The lower slide rail then pushes the top fresh cartridge out of the magazine into the chamber.
Notice with a standard 7 round magazine, you can press the top round down about 3/16th.
If you insist upon inserting any higher capacity magazine into a 1911 in battery, then find a magazine that will allow you to press the top round down an additional 3/16th.

Custom 45 STI racegun, Custom STI Limited class,
Colt series 70 NM Gold Cup, Custom Browning/Saive High Power, Kimber Ultra Carry II, AR15
Given to my Son, 1911 racegun, Glock Model 21, Browning High Power.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:38 AM

I never had a problem getting a flush fit 8rd mag to fully seat. I could never get one to be reliable.