Enduring the Wait - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 PM

Enduring the Wait

What do you guys do while you're waiting? I picked up a WC BWC a few months ago and liked it enough to promptly place an order for a CQBE, but man this waiting stinks. It's going to be a loooooong Winter. I've got another one at Alchemy so I can't afford to buy anything else...sigh.

Patience isn't one of my strong suits.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Shooting the one you already have should help pass the time a bit quicker. Get busy with some other things and chunks of time will pass unnoticed.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:37 PM

Grandpas50AE time does pass much faster than it used to. I don't want to wish any of it away...not implying that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawgrass View Post
What do you guys do while you're waiting? I picked up a WC BWC a few months ago and liked it enough to promptly place an order for a CQBE, but man this waiting stinks. It's going to be a loooooong Winter. I've got another one at Alchemy so I can't afford to buy anything else...sigh.

Patience isn't one of my strong suits.
Yup, the waiting sucks. Then there's probably a 50/50 chance that it will ready early which is a good thing but a 50/50 chance that it will be late. So be prepared for that one too.

Just try to stay busy and forget that your ordered it. Alternatively, shopping for things like a new holster for it, ammo, etc., can help pass the time.

It's worth the wait.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM

The first one is the toughest...Now I am so busy having fun shooting it that I hardly notice the wait on the second one (literally due any day now), and the third one (no clue, no eta, hasn't been kitted)...Funny thing, when I placed the order for the third one, it was the second one :-). But, now it is the third one. Go figure ;-).

Well, today I got 3 new pistol permits from the progressive-fascist state I live in, so when the second one arrives (did I say any day now ;-)), I am good to take ownership...The second pistol permit will be for the TB-1911-WW1 replica due in January....The 3rd pistol permit is for the third wilson mentioned above. Unless, the 3rd wilson arrives six-months hence from now, in which case my 3rd pistol permit will have expired, and I have to wait for a new pistol permit which takes 3 months.

Well, now you know what I do while waiting (you asked ;-)).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 PM

I picked up a few other WC products while waiting for my Professional to arrive
Attached Thumbnails
photo(24).jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
The first one is the toughest...Now I am so busy having fun shooting it that I hardly notice the wait on the second one (literally due any day now), and the third one (no clue, no eta, hasn't been kitted)...Funny thing, when I placed the order for the third one, it was the second one :-). But, now it is the third one. Go figure ;-).

Well, today I got 3 new pistol permits from the progressive-fascist state I live in, so when the second one arrives (did I say any day now ;-)), I am good to take ownership...The second pistol permit will be for the TB-1911-WW1 replica due in January....The 3rd pistol permit is for the third wilson mentioned above. Unless, the 3rd wilson arrives six-months hence from now, in which case my 3rd pistol permit will have expired, and I have to wait for a new pistol permit which takes 3 months.

Well, now you know what I do while waiting (you asked ;-)).
Somehow that makes me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlamb View Post
I picked up a few other WC products while waiting for my Professional to arrive
Those are NICE! Congrats.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Take your spouse out and play more with your kids. Time spent doing that could get pushed aside for the range once your pistols arrive.

Last edited by JimF4M1s; 11-25-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Honorary Administrator Emeritus

Spend more time with the guns that you already own. Break them down. Study what is going on inside of them in detail. Shoot them more often. Clean them more carefully. Figure out what you did right and wrong when you ordered them the way that you did. Sort out what features you really like and which ones don't really seem to make as much of a difference as you thought that they might.

In other words, spend some time dancing with the girl that you brought with you, rather than constantly watching to see who might be hovering over by the punch bowl. If you can't learn to find any immediate satisfaction with the Wilson gun that you "couldn't possibly live without" last year, how is the arrival of the next one really gong to change the equation any?

The questions are rhetorical, of course, but this business about waiting being difficult comes up fairly often around here, and I think guys forget that it really has a lot less to do with the guns than it has to do with human nature itself. I'm pleased that so many of you have other orders in the queue to look forward to, but I'll bet you're also overlooking some cool opportunities to spend some quality time enjoying one or two fine pistols that you've already got sitting not so very far away from where you're sitting right now.

Perspective.

AC
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 PM

Good advice Army Chief.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
Spend more time with the guns that you already own. Break them down. Study what is going on inside of them in detail. Shoot them more often. Clean them more carefully. Figure out what you did right and wrong when you ordered them the way that you did. Sort out what features you really like and which ones don't really seem to make as much of a difference as you thought that they might.

In other words, spend some time dancing with the girl that you brought with you, rather than constantly watching to see who might be hovering over by the punch bowl. If you can't learn to find any immediate satisfaction with the Wilson gun that you "couldn't possibly live without" last year, how is the arrival of the next one really gong to change the equation any?

The questions are rhetorical, of course, but this business about waiting being difficult comes up fairly often around here, and I think guys forget that it really has a lot less to do with the guns than it has to do with human nature itself. I'm pleased that so many of you have other orders in the queue to look forward to, but I'll bet you're also overlooking some cool opportunities to spend some quality time enjoying one or two fine pistols that you've already got sitting not so very far away from where you're sitting right now.

Perspective.

AC
love this.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
love this.
Where is the 'like' button

Loooved the prom analogy.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:19 PM

AC,

You missed your calling my friend, you should have been a writer. When it comes to words you are true craftsman.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 PM

Amen AC !
Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 PM

Well you could always pick up a reloader and start manufacturing or search the web for good deals on ammo and start stocking up because you are going to want to shoot the bajezus out of it when it finally does come in.
(WILSON{PROFESSIONAL)PYROTECHNICIAN}

Last edited by WildWilli; 11-25-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:14 AM

I take my kid to the range! We leave mom at home.
God Bless America, the greatest country on earth.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 AM

I'm not sure which is worse-paying several $1,000's ad waiting to have the gun build or paying several $1,000's and waiting to have someone at BATFE sign a paper and give you a stamp for Class 3 items. My first transfer was 70 days (A LONG 70 day wait) and my my dealer just got my suppressor the middle of October (he ordered it in April and it was in stock!!!)

Like it has been stated above-just mark the days off the calendar and enjoy those that you have now, because when you get your new one, you will show favoritism and neglecte your current firearms and they will feel lonely. Show them all the love you can now.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 AM

Find a different in stock Wilson to buy. This will pass the time nicely.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 AM

I usually forget about custom guns I've ordered, and it's a nice surprise to get a call a few years later that my order is complete.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 AM

My strategy is to buy a new gun that is sufficiently different from the ones that I have such that I NEED a whole new bunch of accessories. Then I order these things one at a time and try to keep something in the pipe at all times. I owe it to the UPS guy's kids to keep him busy. So holsters, extra mags, pouches etc. do the job. Then read every positive review on the gun you have on order and avoid all criticism as being ill informed and irrelevant.
NightHawkCustom Pred II 45, NHC .22 upper, SIG P-210 Target Legend, Stag Arms AR 15, Rem. Versa Max Tactical 12 Ga. Tanfoglio Ltd Custom Xtreme, an upgraded Tanfo Ltd Pro, a Seraphim 1911 .45 ACP Archangel and Seraphim 9mm Warfighter.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM

For the last several years, I've been buying in advance anticipation of retirement. Not just firearms.

If a person devotes serious thinking towards his/her lifetime priorities, "needs", and "wants" well in advance, I believe he/she can make some better decisions as a consumer. Buying on an "I need it now" basis often results in errors and/or paying too much.

So, to the extent possible, plan your firearms purchases well in advance; and for those that have long wait times, get those orders in relatively early.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
For the last several years, I've been buying in advance anticipation of retirement. Not just firearms.

I did that too. Have the cars, watch, pistols, I wanted. I really like retirement. Best gig I ever had. I recommend it to everyone.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilli View Post
Well you could always pick up a reloader and start manufacturing or search the web for good deals on ammo and start stocking up because you are going to want to shoot the bajezus out of it when it finally does come in.
Something like this??

Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Waiting for things isn't a foreign idea. We wait and save for down payments on houses,
new vehicles etc..., but waiting due to supply and demand is a bit different. This is the first time that I've ordered a gun and had any say in how it is spec'd. It will also be the first Govt. Wilson that I have ever shot. Some days if I spend too much time on the internet looking at Georges sold pictures and now this sub-forum I start wanting it NOW. LOL
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post

Perspective.

AC
'

I think I'll take this one to heart.