Talk about your EMP here! - Page 161 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 04:21 AM

Congulations on being #4000. I have read a few early posts and most later posts. What I have learned is this, there are many people on here that know their stuff or someone who does or somewhere to find it. They are willing to help and give advice. Its great to learn something new about a great little gun we own. I think each gun has its own personality. As we modify our guns in different ways for function and/or looks they then become unique to their spieces. It cost alot of money to do mods on these guns. The satifaction of doing the work ourselves is priceless. For those who are literate on these guns I know you have spent many hours filing and fitting. My hat off to you for taking the time to educate the rest of us, saving us many hours and dollars. You know who you are. Special praise to Log man. He does do great work. Merry Christmas EMP family. Keep shooting and posting.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carp423 View Post
Congulations on being #4000. I have read a few early posts and most later posts. What I have learned is this, there are many people on here that know their stuff or someone who does or somewhere to find it. They are willing to help and give advice. Its great to learn something new about a great little gun we own. I think each gun has its own personality. As we modify our guns in different ways for function and/or looks they then become unique to their spieces. It cost alot of money to do mods on these guns. The satifaction of doing the work ourselves is priceless. For those who are literate on these guns I know you have spent many hours filing and fitting. My hat off to you for taking the time to educate the rest of us, saving us many hours and dollars. You know who you are. Special praise to Log man. He does do great work. Merry Christmas EMP family. Keep shooting and posting.
I agree..

I learned how to fit my single side safety on this thread.
It functions crisper and better than the stock part..

I've learned a lot in this thread.
Not just about the EMP, but 1911s in general..

Merry Christmas indeed..
Old 12-22-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-L View Post
Looking to replace my firing pin stop. Will a Wilson Combat bullet proof one work for a .45? Brownells didn't specify if it was caliber specific so I'm assuming its for a .45 anyway but my EMP is obviously a 9mm.
Anybody? I'd really like to order my parts and this is the last thing I need to know.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Hey guys, happy holidays! Can anybody help me out with some knowledge/info on how to restore the black finish on my safety? The edge on one of my safety chipped off somehow and I'd like to restore it without having to buy a new part. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousePotato View Post
Hey guys, happy holidays! Can anybody help me out with some knowledge/info on how to restore the black finish on my safety? The edge on one of my safety chipped off somehow and I'd like to restore it without having to buy a new part. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Cold bluing will work. I use either 44/40 or oxpho blue from Brownells.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-L View Post
Anybody? I'd really like to order my parts and this is the last thing I need to know.
You can buy it for a 45, but you'll need to do a bunch of filing since the 9/40 ejector is taller than the 45 ejector.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM

Okay -read the first 100 pages, promise to finish all of them ASAP

Purchased my 9mm EMP in northern NJ for $1049 a few months ago, love this little pistol! I shoot a Glock 17 G4 and also love that - it eats anything, and super easy to maintain.

The EMP just came back from SACS after it started to do the light strike on Sellier & Bellot brass ammo (ran fine with Magtech and Winchester White, both 115gr). The invoice says "Steel Firing Pin", I guess that means they replaced the Titanium unit. I also pointed out that there was some metal removed from the slide, just under the ramp, butt CS says is normal. I forgot to ask them to pin the ejector (the serial is 246xx - maybe it's already pinned?) but I'll worry about that some other time.

Haven't taken it out to the range, maybe tonight, and I'll post results of the repair work.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you - many thanks for all of the useful information in this thread, and great work by the Logman!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0614.jpg  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Grrrr....Just found out why I haven't gotten my EMP back from Springfield yet. I just got off the phone with the repair shop and they have no record of ever receiving it. While I was on the phone, I looked at the claim ticket from my LGS. It says S&W EMP on the back...
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Well I traded into a early serial #EMP last month. Gotta say I really like this sized gun. Went to the range and found out even though it had tritium sites that these older eyes were having issues with picking them up in an indoor range. So I did some research and ordered a set of XS Big Dot sites. Just installed them and really like how easy they are to pick up visually.

I am also a Hobbyist knife maker and have a fair amount of machinery in my basement. So I decided to do some slight mod's to this gun. I high polished the feed ramp and opened up the throat a bit because last time at the range it wasn't liking hollow points. Ate the FMJ just fine but I think it needed some help to feed HP since they were jamming on the ramp. We will see at the range tomorrow how the mods work. I also media blasted a few parts, engine turned the recoil spring end and Crowned the barrel at about a 20 degree angle.

I have a Milt Sparks VM-2 IWB holster coming from Allan Yoast next week. This will become my new CCW weapon when I make sure its functioning flawlessly.

Also anyone wanting to redo there EMP sites I will give you some input. The stock front site is held in place with a roll pin. That needs to be pushed through and then you can use a copper or hard plastic dowl to drive the site out of the beveled swedge. XS sites has a lot of great videos for those of you who haven't done this before. The back stock EMP site you unscrew the set screw and drive it out sideways like the front site. Both my sites were of the dovetail type.

Once my sites were off they had the label on the bottom of the site. Mine were made in 2007. The new sites come with a plastic dowel and a allen wrench. Once again go to the XS web site for detailed instructions on how to do this installation. Well once I got the new sites out of the package I found out they both just slide right through the cutouts on the slide without much resistance. They were obviously very loose. I called tech support at XS and they said some of the EMP's had a little larger dove tail cutouts and that they would have to send me an over sized pair. He said they will require a lot of hand fitting. He did tell me some of the smiths peen the top of the dove tail on the gun down to make some resistance and that's what I ended up doing since I didn't have time to wait for another set of sites. The area you peen is under the site so you don't see it anyway after its installed. Worked out well in the end and we will see how good it works tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
emp1.jpg   emp2.jpg   emp3.jpg   emp4.jpg   emp5.jpg  

Last edited by Jim Smyth; 12-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM

Capulona: If the ejector is pinned you can see the pin from the side of the ejector with the slide off. Metal from slide removed under the ramp. Can you elaborate on that. Just curious.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Metal Removed from Slide

Hi Kerby9mm, Thanks, it does look like it IS pinned, I see it. As for the slide, I initially thought it was a "rash" here's a picture.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0972_outline.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Thought I would share mine

Attached Thumbnails
2012-12-20 11.31.59.jpg   2012-12-20 11.33.31.jpg  

Last edited by bubba1228; 12-29-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM

How do I get in touch with "Log Man" so that I can send my EMP magazine for modification?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:36 PM

emp mag

send LOG MAN a private message on this forum and he will reply with his address and payment info. He does great work and you will be 100% satisfied. good luck.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 PM

Which Pearce grip panels did you use that fit? Any trimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1228 View Post
Thought I would share mine

Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 AM

Minor trimming, razor blade did the trick nicely. Also have Logman's mag job done.. Wonderful work.

PEARCE GRIP 1911 Compact Model Rubber Finger Groove Insert

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEARCE-GRIP-...item1c2ab20ed0
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 AM

Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Any one know where to get a good deal on a EMP 9mm G10? I want a CCW gun to park with my R1 Enhanced and Sig 1911 TME.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM

you may try gunbroker.com or armslist.com
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 AM

Hey all, this is my first post but I just got home from Afghanistan and picked up an EMP9. Its my first handgun and its sweet but I'll pick it up on the 10th.

Ammo question, any types of ammo to avoid at first or to break it in with? Luckily a Walmart near me has ammo in stock.

Winchester white box 115 gr
Tula ammo 115 gr
9mm luger 115 gr ppu
Remington UMC (green box of 100 rounds) jhp

Can I use any of these or should I try to pick something else up? I was going to buy a box of each to see how they shot but figured I should ask first! Someone said to shoot brass cased only so idk? What about you all, what does your EMP9 enjoy eating?

Thanks so much look forward to learning tons of info! I read the first few pages and the last few to see if this topic came up. I'm sure it has so sorry if its beating a dead horse...

Last edited by stanksbeamen; 01-03-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanksbeamen View Post
Hey all, this is my first post but I just got home from Afghanistan and picked up an EMP9. Its my first handgun and its sweet but I'll pick it up on the 10th.

Ammo question, any types of ammo to avoid at first or to break it in with? Luckily a Walmart near me has ammo in stock.

Winchester white box 115 gr
Tula ammo 115 gr
9mm luger 115 gr ppu
Remington UMC (green box of 100 rounds) jhp

Can I use any of these or should I try to pick something else up? I was going to buy a box of each to see how they shot but figured I should ask first! Someone said to shoot brass cased only so idk? What about you all, what does your EMP9 enjoy eating?

Thanks so much look forward to learning tons of info! I read the first few pages and the last few to see if this topic came up. I'm sure it has so sorry if its beating a dead horse...
break it in 200~300 rounds with brass FMJ firstly. Make sure you disassemble, clean and lube before shooting . . .that will help avoid any potential problems.

after a few hundred rounds, then try the Hollow Point of your choice. I use Speer Gold Dots in mine.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschrick View Post
break it in 200~300 rounds with brass FMJ firstly. Make sure you disassemble, clean and lube before shooting . . .that will help avoid any potential problems.

after a few hundred rounds, then try the Hollow Point of your choice. I use Speer Gold Dots in mine.
Thanks for the info and yes I will be breaking it down and cleaning it first. Will help to get to know it better. :-)
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM

After good clean &lube,two hundred rounds of Win. white box Fiocchi XTP 124gr.HP shot flawlessly.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 PM

Wow an entire thread just about the EMP I think I'm in heaven. Had mine for about three months now and it has been just perfect. Put about 800 rounds through it so far, mostly Winchester and Remington fmj and one box of Hornady critical defense. By FAR my favorite pistol in my collection..traded a kimber for it actually.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt0331 View Post
Wow an entire thread just about the EMP I think I'm in heaven. Had mine for about three months now and it has been just perfect. Put about 800 rounds through it so far, mostly Winchester and Remington fmj and one box of Hornady critical defense. By FAR my favorite pistol in my collection..traded a kimber for it actually.
Good choice!!!