Act/Novak mags in a Kimber ? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 08:17 PM

Act/Novak mags in a Kimber ?

Was browsing ads on another forum, and noticed an ad selling some Act and Novak mags. They made mention that these mags should not be used in a Kimber unless you checked for "disconnector rail clearance". Anybody know what this refers to, or any reason why these mages shouldn't be used in a Kimber? I can't place anything differant about a Kimber 1911 than a Springer or Colt that should cause a magazine issue, but please let me know if you've heard of this. Thanx.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:55 PM

The Novaks have a design flaw where the rear of the magazine is too tall. I have never heard the distinction made as far as a specific brand of gun, but the Disconnector rail hits the rear of the magazine, causing cracks over time.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 PM

I just saw this post and now I'm a little concerned. I've got a Kimber Pro Carry II that I tried several different types of magazines in before finally settling on the Novak/ACT magazines, since they were the only ones to give 100% function and slide lock when empty. Can someone clarify what part of the magazine is supposed to be making contact with what part of the slide. Maybe I got lucky (for once) and just didn't run into this potential problem or more likely I'm just not looking in the correct spot. Note, I'm not finding any unusual wear spots on the mags or the slide and I don't feel or hear anything draging or making contact that shouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Hold my beer & watch this

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliysdad
The Novaks have a design flaw where the rear of the magazine is too tall. I have never heard the distinction made as far as a specific brand of gun, but the Disconnector rail hits the rear of the magazine, causing cracks over time.
Really? Mine don't show any wear. I heard that was only with the very earliest nickel models,and has since been corrected. If you know otherwise I'd like to know though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper894
I've got a Kimber Pro Carry II that I tried several different types of magazines in before finally settling on the Novak/ACT magazines, since they were the only ones to give 100% function and slide lock when empty.
Wear or no, I guess Novak is the way to go, huh? Did you try Wilson 47D's?
COTEP #10
"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some death to defy."
Old 02-17-2007, 09:03 AM

I like the ACT/Novak mags. They work great and there are no problems using them in my ULTRA. There is no contact with any part of the slide.
I tried the Wilsons, but the plastic follower wore where it contacts the slide stop and stopped locking the slide back. I replaced the springs and followers in my Wilson's with Tripp's upgrade kits and they work great now.
http://www.trippresearch.com/product...de/upgrade.htm
Old 02-17-2007, 05:59 PM
1911 Aficionado

The clearance cut for the disconnector rail, in the rear of the mag tube, is semicircular, rather than a more square shape that I see on McCormick and other mags, and suppose if Kimbers are out of spec, the disconnector rail could hit the mag tube.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TransAms
Really? Mine don't show any wear. I heard that was only with the very earliest nickel models,and has since been corrected. If you know otherwise I'd like to know though.
Wear or no, I guess Novak is the way to go, huh? Did you try Wilson 47D's?

I had a problem myself early on with a Nickel mag. It was replaced about 3 months ago - no issues since.. I have had Blued Mags of Novak's with No issue at all from day 1..

I read there was a heat treatment issue - which was corrected.. I love the Novak's. They run less money then the Wilson's and have been (even with the issue with the Nickel Mag) 100%. I like the follower they use on them..